1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source

Yikes! Careful with those iPods, folks!

Quote:

An exclusive KIRO 7 Investigation reveals an alarming number of Apple brand iPod MP3 players have suddenly burst into flames and smoke, injuring people and damaging property.

It's an investigation that Apple has apparently been trying to keep out of the public eye.

It took more than 7-months for KIRO 7 Consumer Investigator Amy Clancy to get her hands on documents concerning Apple's iPods from the Consumer Product Safety Commission because Apple's lawyers filed exemption after exemption. In the end, the CPSC released more than 800 pages which reveal, for the very first time, a comprehensive look that shows, on a number of occasions, iPods have suddenly burst into flames, started to smoke, and even burned their owners.

Owners like Jamie Balderas of Arlington, Washington, who contacted KIRO 7 in November of 2008.

"At first I thought, how in the heck did I get burned? Right there?" she told Clancy, while pointing to a penny-sized, round burn on her chest. "Then I remembered that I had my iPod right there."

Balderas says her brand new iPod Shuffle overheated while she was running days before, leaving her with a small burn right where the iPod was clipped to her shirt, next to her skin. "My skin started burning really bad, like it was a bee sting that wouldn't stop."

Concerned, Balderas says she called Apple, wondering if such burns were common. She even sent the company photos of her wound. But Balderas says she was told by an Apple customer service representative that her burn was an isolated incident. She says she asked Apple if she could get some documentation on how many other times this had happened, and what Apple was doing to correct the situation. But Balderas claims the Apple customer service representative told her that she "wouldn't be able to have access to it."

·
QA Engineer
3,016 Posts
If mine bursts into flames....someone is going to go missing.

·
Old School OCNer
1,911 Posts
Apple seams to have a problem denying problems. I once read about Apple deleting posts on there support page so it seams like they have less problems then they really have. Then they got caught denying that the people even posted the problems in the 1st place. Apple has problems like any one else, they just top it off with horrible support.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
I have read about an iPod burning a car to the ground and other little fire incidents here and there. But I thought maybe it was just a defect or two.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Wait a second. So the iPod will l catch on fire because it gets so hot while working, but the iPhone 3Gs can't work at 98 degrees F ambient (search it yourselves!). Apple, you are awesome.

Bet they were listening to this

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I feel bad for the kid. I just honestly don't believe that it could happen. But then again the other side of me does.

Like the time I called ASUS to RMA my board because it killed my phenom and they said oh no the support for Phenom is great. Weve never had this problem before.
Tisk tisk tisk

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conley
View Post

I dunno about you guys, but if my iPod Touch suddenly burst into flames that would just increase the cool factor.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3 View Post
I feel bad for the kid. I just honestly don't believe that it could happen. But then again the other side of me does.

You know the li-ion, or li-po for that matter, batterys can catch on fire if improperly charged, or discharged too much.

I mean just look all over youtube, most of the time you will see RC batteries in the videos, but cell phones and most hand held devices run off these batteries. It's kinda scary when you think about it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.