1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Fractal Design XL R2.

I'm looking at a H20-X20 Edge "HD"

Will the 3X 120mm fit in the case?

What ad-don's do I need to cool my two EVGA GTX 680 classified's? I have the water blocks already.

OR

Is this dumb , and should I go full custom?

I was thinking a kit could be a good idea my first time... a learning experiences...

Oh, I did order a Thermaltake RC1600101A MAX-1562 5.25" (x1) Bay to 2.5" (x6) Bay Mobile Rack HDD Canister , so I could remove my drive bay's.

Thanks!

Roger Lund

·
Registered
582 Posts
Your case specs say no to 3x 120mm (you can only have a dual rad or a single rad)
Water cooling compatibility:
Front - 240mm radiator when HDD cages are removed or repositioned = dual rad
Top - 240 and 280mm when using slim radiators =dual rad
Bottom - 120mm radiators =single rad
Rear - 120 and 140mm radiators =single rad

If you go fully custom you get to add your own flare to your computer and not a plain looking kit.
Also kits are cheap enough to start off with if you don't have money for a full custom kit in one shot.

But the tubing for kits I think is usually 7/16" x 5/8" Clear. That tubing size is small. So if you go kit you will have to drain the system to put bigger tubing on and than you will have to buy a whole new set of barbs. Plus you will have to buy more coolant too if you don't drain your coolant back into a big empty bottle that's is sterile.

If you do save your coolant I would suggest you have a filter barb connected at the fill port so if you have any metal or stuff you don't put it back in your loop.

I found a filter barb

I don't know what radiator to suggest as I don't have your case and its new. You would have to wait for the other forum members who are more experts at this watercooling than me.

I'm just know the basics of watercooling and making my switch soon as I switch to the a I7 3930k and new motherboard.
I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast4291987 View Post

Your case specs say no to 3x 120mm (you can only have a dual rad or a single rad)
Water cooling compatibility:
Front - 240mm radiator when HDD cages are removed or repositioned = dual rad
Top - 240 and 280mm when using slim radiators =dual rad
Bottom - 120mm radiators =single rad
Rear - 120 and 140mm radiators =single rad

If you go fully custom you get to add your own flare to your computer and not a plain looking kit.
Also kits are cheap enough to start off with if you don't have money for a full custom kit in one shot.

But the tubing for kits I think is usually 7/16" x 5/8" Clear. That tubing size is small. So if you go kit you will have to drain the system to put bigger tubing on and than you will have to buy a whole new set of barbs. Plus you will have to buy more coolant too if you don't drain your coolant back into a big empty bottle that's is sterile.

If you do save your coolant I would suggest you have a filter barb connected at the fill port so if you have any metal or stuff you don't put it back in your loop.

I found a filter barb

I don't know what radiator to suggest as I don't have your case and its new. You would have to wait for the other forum members who are more experts at this watercooling than me.

I'm just know the basics of watercooling and making my switch soon as I switch to the a I7 3930k and new motherboard.
I hope this helps you out.
Yes thanks. It gives me something to think about.

·
Registered
698 Posts
before you buy anything I would do a serious price check on all the components you would need for water cooling and consider the cost of any future upgrades because, lets face it, once you get one thing under water you want it ALL under water!
biggrin.gif

Despite being a large case I think the most raditors you can comfortably fit without any modding would be dual 240mm in the bottom section and another where the drive bays are and perhaops some singles dotted around. Its not as convenient as having a big fat 360mm and a second one and could drive the budget up higher. If you don'tthink you can afford the price of the components including brabs (these can be VERY expensive) and tubing then go for a self contained loop for you cpu and if you feel the need you can think about how to get your other gear underwater later.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, costs all at once will be a challenge. What we talking about up front to do CPU plus the two gpus with 2x 120mm kit vs custom? Rough cost

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about if I just want to do a kit / Custom build for my GPU's ? Thoughts?

·
Registered
698 Posts
The thing is if your trying to cool your heavily overclocked i5 and beastly dual 680s your going to need a fair bit of radiator area/volume.

If you already have waterblocks for both your 680s then that'll reduce the cost alot.

For a
2x dual 120mm radiator ~$50-65
(you could get a dual 140mm radiator ~$60-70 for the top)
(thicker radiators cost more but check clearances)

pump ~$80-110

cpu block ~$40-60

minimum of 4x120mm fans ~$25-45
(if you want push pull you will need more fans)

reservoir $25-45

12xbasic barbs ~$30
(assuming you have none already and don't get any with parts)

12xcompression fittings ~$48-72 (polycarbonate or metal)

4/5ft tubing ~$6-15

distilled water/coolant ~$20

Totals ~$326-495

The prices depend on choice and I estimated my prices from
http://www.frozencpu.com

If you decide to go the second hand route or hunt for discounts I think you could probably knock it down to about $300 quite easily but you may find you need some more radiators/fans.

vs.

Watercooling kit ~$130 MAX for a All in one CPU with Dual 120mm rad.

Taking that into consideration I think your best bet (unless you really want to go down the watercooling road or have enough money). Would be to sell the 680 blocks while they're still at the top range and very desirable. You can get about $80+ second hand and then you could buy a decent watercooing all in one and some nice/decent fans for it. You could easily stretch the budget to some better case fans to make sure your 680s get enough airflow too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-cat View Post

The thing is if your trying to cool your heavily overclocked i5 and beastly dual 680s your going to need a fair bit of radiator area/volume.

If you already have waterblocks for both your 680s then that'll reduce the cost alot.

For a
2x dual 120mm radiator ~$50-65
(you could get a dual 140mm radiator ~$60-70 for the top)
(thicker radiators cost more but check clearances)

pump ~$80-110

cpu block ~$40-60

minimum of 4x120mm fans ~$25-45
(if you want push pull you will need more fans)

reservoir $25-45

12xbasic barbs ~$30
(assuming you have none already and don't get any with parts)

12xcompression fittings ~$48-72 (polycarbonate or metal)

4/5ft tubing ~$6-15

distilled water/coolant ~$20

Totals ~$326-495

The prices depend on choice and I estimated my prices from
http://www.frozencpu.com

If you decide to go the second hand route or hunt for discounts I think you could probably knock it down to about $300 quite easily but you may find you need some more radiators/fans.

vs.

Watercooling kit ~$130 MAX for a All in one CPU with Dual 120mm rad.

Taking that into consideration I think your best bet (unless you really want to go down the watercooling road or have enough money). Would be to sell the 680 blocks while they're still at the top range and very desirable. You can get about $80+ second hand and then you could buy a decent watercooing all in one and some nice/decent fans for it. You could easily stretch the budget to some better case fans to make sure your 680s get enough airflow too.
My EVGA water blocks are still new in box. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18030/ex-vga-20/EVGA_GeForce_GTX_680_Classified_Hydro_Copper_Waterblock_400-CU-G680-B2.html?tl=g30c311s1631 $175 each, is what I paid. These cards are loud under full load with fan speed maxed. One reason I want to water cool them.

I just need to figure out where to start... ha

·
Registered
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundrog View Post

My EVGA water blocks are still new in box. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18030/ex-vga-20/EVGA_GeForce_GTX_680_Classified_Hydro_Copper_Waterblock_400-CU-G680-B2.html?tl=g30c311s1631 $175 each, is what I paid. These cards are loud under full load with fan speed maxed. One reason I want to water cool them.

I just need to figure out where to start... ha
Ah okay. I was going by the cheapest on frozencpu because I didn't want to overestimate their value to you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think it should fit in your case but you have to mod the top with dremel to install the fan. You also have the option of installing 240 at the top and 240 or 200 phobya at the front. Its very easy to go overbudget when you are dealing with custom kits..i would say you'll have to make sure of the rad clearance first before buying anything that doesn't fit with your motherboard and creates issue..most the sites will mention the radiator depths..just measure the clearance so u can have idea of which kinda rad you will be buying ..for example for my 600t case you can only install rad with 30mm depth. Then you have to decide on the tubing length ..for tubing i would say 10mm inner diameter and 13mm outer diameter is the one i used and its pretty good and then choose ur fittings whether is compression or barbs. Bitspower are expensive that's why i went with EK ones as they are half the price.

http://www.performance-pcs.com << they are definately cheaper than frozencpu for sure.

I ordered everything from ek except for the rads from performance pcs

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/

·
Registered
582 Posts
now that i think of it a single dual fan rad is only good for the CPU.
You MAY have to put all your ssd in the back or use double-sided tape and put some on the top of your DVD drive because your going to need all the space you can spare to cool the gpu's.

I have built a kit.

The tubing is sold by the foot so in your cart like in the pic its 10 for 10 feet. I don't know if you need 10 feet but better to have more than you need than don't have enough.
also I don't know fans so you will have to ask what fans your going to need.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast4291987 View Post

now that i think of it a single dual fan rad is only good for the CPU.
You MAY have to put all your ssd in the back or use double-sided tape and put some on the top of your DVD drive because your going to need all the space you can spare to cool the gpu's.

I have built a kit.

The tubing is sold by the foot so in your cart like in the pic its 10 for 10 feet. I don't know if you need 10 feet but better to have more than you need than don't have enough.
also I don't know fans so you will have to ask what fans your going to need.
yes, I am removing my HDD bay's, and mounting my SSD's in a 5.25 bay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts