Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not New to Overclock.net
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/mustafa-mahmoud/official-silent-hill-twitter-page-created/

Recently there have been many rumours springing up regarding the alleged revival of the Silent Hill franchise. The IP has seen very little output since the cancellation of Silent Hills back in 2015. In recent weeks and months however, it appears as though Konami has been preparing for a comeback – with the publisher most recently creating an official Silent Hill Twitter page.
https://twitter.com/SilentHill?s=21

😎👍

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I have ZERO....what is lower than zero..... I have negative (-) Infinity faith in Konami. Just let the franchise die already or play the Siren games. SH fans know that the best games are SH 1- 3 and a "few" others are decent and continue to storyline like Origins. If another company could get the IP or if the original SH creators could get the IP that would be fantastic. Konami will be Konami at the end of the day....a gambling company all about the money pimping out their IPs. They have become the "old" Capcom.

BUT maybe.....just maybe......a SH reboot could be what Resident Evil 7 was for Capcom, formerly known as Crapcom. Even then my faith in Konami stands at Negative Infinity.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have ZERO....what is lower than zero..... I have negative (-) Infinity faith in Konami. Just let the franchise die already or play the Siren games. SH fans know that the best games are SH 1- 3 and a "few" others are decent and continue to storyline like Origins. If another company could get the IP or if the original SH creators could get the IP that would be fantastic. Konami will be Konami at the end of the day....a gambling company all about the money pimping out their IPs. They have become the "old" Capcom.

BUT maybe.....just maybe......a SH reboot could be what Resident Evil 7 was for Capcom, formerly known as Crapcom. Even then my faith in Konami stands at Negative Infinity.

I think the speculation is leaning towards a remake or reimagining of the original. They see what Capcom did with RE2 and they know that 1) they’re leaving money on the table, and 2) they have an opportunity to bring the franchise back in a big way to a new generation of horror survival fans that were too young to know the awesomeness that was SH 1-3. There’s always a risk that the execution will fall flat, but I would rather see the studio take a chance. And I hope they learn from Capcom. They tried to maximize cost efficiencies with RE3 and wound up with a flop that’s not selling nearly as well as its predecessor. The market definitely voted with their wallets — and rightly so. But hopefully they give people what they want: A proper SH remake.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I think the speculation is leaning towards a remake or reimagining of the original. They see what Capcom did with RE2 and they know that 1) they’re leaving money on the table, and 2) they have an opportunity to bring the franchise back in a big way to a new generation of horror survival fans that were too young to know the awesomeness that was SH 1-3. There’s always a risk that the execution will fall flat, but I would rather see the studio take a chance. And I hope they learn from Capcom. They tried to maximize cost efficiencies with RE3 and wound up with a flop that’s not selling nearly as well as its predecessor. The market definitely voted with their wallets — and rightly so. But hopefully they give people what they want: A proper SH remake.
Silent Hill has already been re-imaged though, on the Wii version in Silent Hill: Lost Memories. The game had it's moments and atmosphere at the very least. It was definitely under funded, repetitive and the Wii release was just a cheap way to avoid more expensive platforms that would take more resources (Xbox 360, PS3 and PC). The game took the path of many developers on the platform.....release on Wii....port to PS2\PSP. I'm still glad that they took a chance on the platform though at the end of the day.

Konami left money on the table when the internet was going crazy over Kojima's rendition of a Silent Hill atmosphere that Capcom's RE7 more less copied upon 4 years later IMO. That game put Capcom back on the map and it could have been Konami. Konami could have used two big releases with SH and MGSV leading the way. Instead Kojima had issues with Konami and left and Konami......is well Konami.

Silent Hill coming back could be great, but the game was unique and gamers today are a different breed than the past. So in others words I don't see how they could pull it off without butchering the story or certain elements that possibly can't be re-created from the past SH titles (or the first three titles.) Kojima has something good going (with PT), but that time has passed and the original devs left which means the story and cannon was finish. Konami just kept the story going while destroying it at the same time in the games post SH3\Origins.

RE3 was a shame and it went on sale extremely quickly. Great graphics, great optimized engine, but poor execution. You can tell it was a cash grab and Capcom SHOULD be ashamed of themselves. RE2 was a huge success and I actually love what they did with RE2. I had different feeling about the character re-imaging at first, but it wasn't so bad at the end of the day. Konami will be Konami at the end of the day though, just remember that.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the speculation is leaning towards a remake or reimagining of the original. They see what Capcom did with RE2 and they know that 1) they’️re leaving money on the table, and 2) they have an opportunity to bring the franchise back in a big way to a new generation of horror survival fans that were too young to know the awesomeness that was SH 1-3. There’️s always a risk that the execution will fall flat, but I would rather see the studio take a chance. And I hope they learn from Capcom. They tried to maximize cost efficiencies with RE3 and wound up with a flop that’️s not selling nearly as well as its predecessor. The market definitely voted with their wallets — and rightly so. But hopefully they give people what they want: A proper SH remake.
Silent Hill has already been re-imaged though, on the Wii version in Silent Hill: Lost Memories. The game had it's moments and atmosphere at the very least. It was definitely under funded, repetitive and the Wii release was just a cheap way to avoid more expensive platforms that would take more resources (Xbox 360, PS3 and PC). The game took the path of many developers on the platform.....release on Wii....port to PS2\PSP. I'm still glad that they took a chance on the platform though at the end of the day.

Konami left money on the table when the internet was going crazy over Kojima's rendition of a Silent Hill atmosphere that Capcom's RE7 more less copied upon 4 years later IMO. That game put Capcom back on the map and it could have been Konami. Konami could have used two big releases with SH and MGSV leading the way. Instead Kojima had issues with Konami and left and Konami......is well Konami.

Silent Hill coming back could be great, but the game was unique and gamers today are a different breed than the past. So in others words I don't see how they could pull it off without butchering the story or certain elements that possibly can't be re-created from the past SH titles (or the first three titles.) Kojima has something good going (with PT), but that time has passed and the original devs left which means the story and cannon was finish. Konami just kept the story going while destroying it at the same time in the games post SH3\Origins.

RE3 was a shame and it went on sale extremely quickly. Great graphics, great optimized engine, but poor execution. You can tell it was a cash grab and Capcom SHOULD be ashamed of themselves. RE2 was a huge success and I actually love what they did with RE2. I had different feeling about the character re-imaging at first, but it wasn't so bad at the end of the day. Konami will be Konami at the end of the day though, just remember that.
Yeah, I mean, PT/Silent Hills was scrapped due to the spat. One can only hope that Kojima makes a new horror IP. Perhaps in collaboration with Junji & Del Toro. Everything about P.T. showed that the devs had the ability to truly make something unique and great. The sound design, the attention to detail, the way they were able to make you feel uneasy. But I agree with everything you said. And yes the RE3 remake was very sad IMO. I was a huge fan of the original games on the PS1. The game was butchered in every sense, with no real understanding of what made the original special. I just hole that M2 doesn’t **** up RE4. At least they’ll have more time to work on it, so I hope it’s good. But yeah — these developers shoot themselves on the foot all the time. They pinch pennies and lose dollars. Which is dumbfounding. I mean, look at RE4. It’s their all-time best seller. Has been ported to hell and back. You’d think that they would prefer to take their time and please their fanbase — which is what translates to revenues, company growth, shareholder value, ultimately. It’s baffling, to say the least.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Part of the rumor/speculation is that Kojima Studios might collaborate with Konami again since they don’t want to sell the SH & MGS IP’s to Sony.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Yeah, I mean, PT/Silent Hills was scrapped due to the spat. One can only hope that Kojima makes a new horror IP. Perhaps in collaboration with Junji & Del Toro. Everything about P.T. showed that the devs had the ability to truly make something unique and great. The sound design, the attention to detail, the way they were able to make you feel uneasy. But I agree with everything you said. And yes the RE3 remake was very sad IMO. I was a huge fan of the original games on the PS1. The game was butchered in every sense, with no real understanding of what made the original special. I just hole that M2 doesn’t **** up RE4. At least they’ll have more time to work on it, so I hope it’s good. But yeah — these developers shoot themselves on the foot all the time. They pinch pennies and lose dollars. Which is dumbfounding. I mean, look at RE4. It’s their all-time best seller. Has been ported to hell and back. You’d think that they would prefer to take their time and please their fanbase — which is what translates to revenues, company growth, shareholder value, ultimately. It’s baffling, to say the least.
Part of the rumor/speculation is that Kojima Studios might collaborate with Konami again since they don’t want to sell the SH & MGS IP’s to Sony.

Yeah I was actually going to say that I wish Konami would just sell the IP, but stopped myself short of flatout typing that.......we know it won't happen. The franchise is established now and I personally think it would be treated better anywhere else than Konami. If Konami did release\sell the IP it would probably bounce around until a decent developer go their hands on it. It's better than pretty much everything Konami has done with it post SH3. I felt like I could done a better job than some of the SH games released after SH3.

A horror game from Kojima could be nice. Horror titles usually don't "blow" up like most AAA since many people don't want to scare themselves and it can't be a yearly cashcow (think CoD). I still appreciate the horror titles though. If Konami and Kojima could work something out that would be cool as well, but I doubt it given all of the bad reports I read about his departure. Apparently there was plenty of tension building up prior to his departure.

RE3 was bad....like bad late 80s early 90s movies BAD. I haven't even finished it yet so I never wrote a review\article and I also really liked the original. The original RE3 was great and different. The replay value was top notch and I was still experiencing random things many years after the initial release that I never seen before (mostly Nemesis randomly showing up). I didn't even know they were making a RE4 remake. I really don't think they should touch that game. All Capcom ever needed to do was up the textures, the lighting and the framerate and that it's it. Instead I think they just used the Hi-Res GameCube textures\movie files and increased the Framerate, laziness at it's finest. The modding community has provided HD Textures and character swaps since at least 2009 in RE4. if it was in Capcom hands it would easily be DLC for playable characters. Luckily there are some really nice characters you play as including Heather and other Silent Hill characters in RE4. Remember the original RE4 concept?? (hook man). All of that psychological horror looked so cool, but was out of place for a RE game.

RE4 needs a proper remake like REmake on the GameCube. REmake was pure quality that really shows the original perfectly even down to the slow gameplay and all. RE2 was great and I don't see how a RE4 remake could live up to the original unless they basically just copy\paste the original RE4 as it is with the RE-engine. An RE4 remake would need Mikami working on it since I really liked what he did with the FIRST "The Evil Within" title. Now with all of this SJW stuff who knows what type of characters we might get or storylines might be added in Re4. I really didn't like the dialog between Jill and and Carlos early in the game. Seemed so forced and unnecessary given the situation they were facing.

Dude RE2 was ported to hell and back as well and I thought it would never get a remake\reimage. RE2 has been re-released SO many times and even released on handhelds back in the day. When it comes to common sense they don't care.....it's all about the shareholders and yearly income. When companies start seeing potential dollar signs and do the math......that's all that matters.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,210 Posts
I didn't even know there were Silent Hill games, were they before or after the movie? I enjoyed the weirdness of the movie but if the game is like the Resident Evil games then I don't have any problem with them leaving it dead.

·
WaterCooler
3,480 Posts
Sounds like I missed out on the earlier games. My only exposure to Silent Hill was a Silent Hill 4: The Room demo on a PS2 demo disk back in the day.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like I missed out on the earlier games. My only exposure to Silent Hill was a Silent Hill 4: The Room demo on a PS2 demo disk back in the day.
Silent Hill 2 is widely regarded as one of the best horror games ever. Exceptional atmosphere.

@Kana-Maru They actually asked Shinju Makami what he thought about the RE2 remake shortly after the release and he thinks they did a good job. He was also asked how he felt about the RE4 remake and he said that he didn’t have a problem with it as long as they do a good job. They definitely have to be careful with it. But ultimately, if it’s bad — then you’ll still have the original RE4, that doesn’t change. That said, they’re taking their time with it so I’m cautiously optimistic. The original was somewhat revolutionizing with its novel ODS aim system— but I think that the controls haven’t aged well. They’re very tanky. I would be happy with the same exact game in the REngine. I just hope that they learn from RE3. As I alluded, they attempted to maximize efficiencies in order to maximize margins — but wound up hurting their margins by hurting sales. This is the difference between a good developer. And they did it with RE2 — so they know what to do.

But I also liked the first The Evil Within game. It’s a masterpiece. It’s interesting how the second one’s execution fell short. The semi open world was uninteresting. The enemies were repetitive and also uninteresting. I could see where they were going with it, but the execution failed.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I didn't even know there were Silent Hill games, were they before or after the movie? I enjoyed the weirdness of the movie but if the game is like the Resident Evil games then I don't have any problem with them leaving it dead.
The games were before the movies. The movie was more true to the game which was a good thing. The movie wasn't bad, but I definitely saw more people interested in the games after the movie released way back then. The games are NOTHING like the RE games. It's more psychological, but you should definitely check out RE7. Play it at night with headphones on and you'll be fine.

Yeah you should definitely check out SH 1, 2 and 3 then Origins if you find the storyline interesting.

Silent Hill 2 is widely regarded as one of the best horror games ever. Exceptional atmosphere.
It is, but my favs are SH1 and SH3 honestly. I love the cannon storylines better. SH2 was pretty good as well.

@Kana-Maru They actually asked Shinju Makami what he thought about the RE2 remake shortly after the release and he thinks they did a good job. He was also asked how he felt about the RE4 remake and he said that he didn’t have a problem with it as long as they do a good job. They definitely have to be careful with it. But ultimately, if it’s bad — then you’ll still have the original RE4, that doesn’t change. That said, they’re taking their time with it so I’m cautiously optimistic. The original was somewhat revolutionizing with its novel ODS aim system— but I think that the controls haven’t aged well. They’re very tanky. I would be happy with the same exact game in the REngine. I just hope that they learn from RE3. As I alluded, they attempted to maximize efficiencies in order to maximize margins — but wound up hurting their margins by hurting sales. This is the difference between a good developer. And they did it with RE2 — so they know what to do.

But I also liked the first The Evil Within game. It’s a masterpiece. It’s interesting how the second one’s execution fell short. The semi open world was uninteresting. The enemies were repetitive and also uninteresting. I could see where they were going with it, but the execution failed.

Thank you bro, no one gives RE4 credit were it's due. It revolutionized over the shoulder cam plus modern shooting when many games didn't have an answer. After RE4 you saw games like RB6 Vegas and Gears of War. I think I might actually write a piece on that as well because there is another game that also had a something I hadn't seen before RE4 (cam placement), but I need to go back and research it. Correct RE4 (original) will always be available and don't get me wrong I will be buying RE4 remake for sure. I just hope it's not RE3's level of boredom, cringe and missing areas with tacked on elements. Dodging in RE3 just felt out of place and needs more work. The controls hadn't aged well, but I haven't played the updated version on Steam yet so maybe it's better.

"The Evil Within" (1) was great. I plan to play TEW1 (PC-Steam) again. TEW2 was "ok" for what it was and the graphics were great on my Xbox One console. TEW2 seemed "forced" to me, but the storyline had potential, was actually good up to a certain point and definitely went sideways. I mean forced in the sense that they felt like they "needed" to release the game for $$$$$'s. Bethesda needed something to put out for dough. Shinji liked RE2 and I wonder how he felt about RE3 :)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
The original game came long before the movie. I only played Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3. The first two games had an annoying habit of not following the perspective of your character so things could be attacking you and you couldn't see them. The movie seemed to be most closely related to Silent Hill 3 -- except there was no love interest for the girl in the game.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts