Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my northbridge heatsink on my p35 ds3l. Instead of taking time and removing the motherboard...I tried to just cut it out. Turns out that was a bad idea. I was able to rip off one of the two plastic connectors. While attempting to get the second one off with brute force I knocked over a capacitor..it is still attached and I made it straight again. Is this ok? I have not turned back on my computer as I am still looking for my artic silver 5

In the end I had to remove the motherboard anyways because I did not want to do further damage.

Is there any way to fix the capacitor? Is it safe to attempt to see if the motherboard still works?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cory1234
View Post

I was replacing my northbridge heatsink on my p35 ds3l. Instead of taking time and removing the motherboard...I tried to just cut it out. Turns out that was a bad idea. I was able to rip off one of the two plastic connectors. While attempting to get the second one off with brute force I knocked over a capacitor..it is still attached and I made it straight again. Is this ok? I have not turned back on my computer as I am still looking for my artic silver 5

In the end I had to remove the motherboard anyways because I did not want to do further damage.

Is there any way to fix the capacitor? Is it safe to attempt to see if the motherboard still works?

RMA it to be on the safe side

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Should be, my XFX 750i had a cap that was bent over slightly and it still works, but it may be different in your case.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Are the legs broken? If not it's fine. If they are you could solder them back if you have the skill or you can use conductive glue to connect the leg back to the capacitor.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow_UGZ
View Post

Are the legs broken? If not it's fine. If they are you could solder them back if you have the skill or you can use thermal glue to connect the leg back to the capacitor.

I can't tell exactly..I mean the capacitor is still attached. It was bent at a 45 degree angle and made a noise.. thermal glue? Would thermal paste work?

Ugh...Pretty sure I threw away a whole tube of artic silver 5 too. This just isn't my day.

Since I can't find my thermal paste...really considering just attaching the heatsink with dried up paste that was on there from before...lol terrible idea?

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
that should not matter at all. just check what shadow said.. look at the legs if they are still there attached to the board you should be good.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I can't tell exactly..I mean the capacitor is still attached. It was bent at a 45 degree angle and made a noise.. thermal glue? Would thermal paste work?

Ugh...Pretty sure I threw away a whole tube of artic silver 5 too. This just isn't my day.

no!!! thermal paste wont work..

look just turn it on and if it boots you are fine.. as long as nothing is grounded the board should not suffer any damage.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Since I can't find my thermal paste...really considering just attaching the heatsink with dried up paste that was on there from before...lol terrible idea?

Oh no, don't use thermal glue/paste! Sorry, I meant conductive glue.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Would it be fine to reuse the dried up paste on the northbridge itself? The local stores only sell off brand crap for the price of the good stuff.

hey thermal anything wont work man.. listen.. just try to start the computer. maybe everything is fine. if is not then you need to solder the capacitor to the board again.

• Rep+
Reactions: cory1234

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by manolith
View Post

hey thermal anything wont work man.. listen.. just try to start the computer. maybe everything is fine. if is not then you need to solder the capacitor to the board again.

Your saying I should turn the computer on without a heatsink on the northbridge? I could put it on..but it is a ***** to remove..and the northbridge gets red hot.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
noo dont turn it on without the heat sink.. put everything back together then boot up.

i know is hard to remove it but you are pretty screwed as it is so is time to take action instead of shortcuts.

·
Premium Member
18,195 Posts
no dont start the pc without the nb heatsink even old paste will be better then none.

• Rep+

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,039 Posts
I see there are multiple layers of confusion here.
Hes saying he cannot place the heatsink back onto the motherboard until he aquires some TIM.
Not to be confused with "Oh crap I appear to have broken a leg on the capacitor, can I use thermal paste to make it electrically conductive again"
Also, the TDP of a northbridge isn't very high, so just about any TIM should do okay, although a higher performance TIM will do much better, if you just want to verify the board works still, what ever stuff your local shop sells should work for that.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaero252
View Post

I see there are multiple layers of confusion here.
Hes saying he cannot place the heatsink back onto the motherboard until he aquires some TIM.
Not to be confused with "Oh crap I appear to have broken a leg on the capacitor, can I use thermal paste to make it electrically conductive again"
Also, the TDP of a northbridge isn't very high, so just about any TIM should do okay, although a higher performance TIM will do much better, if you just want to verify the board works still, what ever stuff your local shop sells should work for that.

@Xaero252 Haha I was about to say the same thing.

(On Topic) I would (To test if the motherboard works) just put the northbridge heatsink on with no paste. If it works then go buy some good paste.

• Rep+

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
aaaah yeah i was confused too! jesus. yeah you dont need to put new tim on heatsink to get a test run..

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by manolith
View Post

aaaah yeah i was confused too! jesus. yeah you dont need to put new tim on heatsink to get a test run..

I agree, just reconnect it with the dried up paste you have for a test run to see if it boots. Also, it might be a pain to disconnect it again, but I mean sometimes you just have to do these things to save yourself some cash. After all you broke it in the first place!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Quote:

View Post

..and my suspicions are confirmed.. The capacitor was knocked off. When I went to start it just reboots over and over. I wish I had more reps to look for a cheap p45 mobo

Would going out and buying conductive glue work? Or would that be a waste of time?

Maybe you can take off that broken capacitor and then solder in an identical one?

Maybe get one from another motherboard?

• Rep+
1 - 20 of 43 Posts