Overclock.net banner

[Kotaku] BioShock 2 Has Multiplayer

1K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  gtarmanrob 
#1 ·
Quote:

99% of games on the market today have multiplayer. Bioshock, however, did not. It was geared towards a singleplayer experience. But the sequel? It'll have multiplayer.

At least, it will according to the latest issue of Game Informer. Problem is, the mag's big story on the BioShock sequel only says it will feature multiplayer. It doesn't say what kind of multiplayer. So while earlier rumours suggested co-op play would make an entrance in the series, in the absence of any real details you can speculate there'll be plasmid-fuelled deathmatches and nobody can say you're wrong.

Yet.
Source

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir View Post
I think it's really sad that games have to be multiplayer in order to sell these days.
QFT

games can be good without multiplayer. look at fallout 3 and bioshock

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir
View Post

I think it's really sad that games have to be multiplayer in order to sell these days.

I know, the majority of my friends don't buy games unless it's multiplayer. I told them to check out Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fallout 3, and Mirror's Edge but they all refused to because the games lacked multiplayer.

#10 ·
bioshock was awesome, i think the added multiplayer will just add more for playability, i beat bioshock twice for the 2 endings i have not played it since.

i think the multiplayer will atleast let me play it more. some added content after release would be just as nice.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir
View Post

I think you're right. In this case, however, a single player with a co-op is where it's at. A formal multiplayer mode in Bioshock 2 wouldn't make sense, but a co-op would have potential.

We don't see many true co-ops anymore.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by version2
View Post

I think you're right. In this case, however, a single player with a co-op is where it's at. A formal multiplayer mode in Bioshock 2 wouldn't make sense, but a co-op would have potential.

We don't see many true co-ops anymore.

I don't have any problems with an optional co-op, but when you all but make the game forced co-op (read: RE5) is when it gets on my nerves.

What if I get up in the middle of the night and want to play? Well I can't because my only options are A: Play with the horrid AI or B: Play online, but since it's the middle of the night, my only options are BRs and Russkies.

So either make co-op completely optional, or make the AI competent.

#13 ·
Fine by me as long as there aren't any nonsensical additions/subtractions to single player just so multiplayer works.

Playing as a Big Daddy has me worried for the game more than multiplayer ever could.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradox me
View Post

Fine by me as long as there aren't any nonsensical additions/subtractions to single player just so multiplayer works.

Playing as a Big Daddy has me worried for the game more than multiplayer ever could.

they could take the high road and have mp designed from the sp but completely retuned to be balanced.

a separate from the sp multiplayer is always a good bet, if its good then you establish a healthy online comunity, bring in more sales, and have more security for your product. if not then your devs just wasted a month or 2 at the end of the game development.

#16 ·
Quote:

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunder12
View Post

bioshock 1 didnt have multiplayer and look how well it sold! Personally i would love a multiplayer in Bio2

It didn't sell THAT well. It did ok/good.
Look at Resident Evil 5. I guarantee that you could've cut 4 million sales in half to like 2 million if it wasn't for the multiplayer.

#17 ·
yeah, i mean as much as i love Bioshock, multiplayer Bioshock doesnt really interest me, even co-op. i agree, what happened to the great singleplayer games of yesterday?

its definitely the greatest counter to piracy, but they could fix that by only allowing the game to work via an internet connection, to activate it. i know Mass Effect did that, and it still gets pirated, but you cant stop it anyway.

and notice how all the games we just mentioned as having good singeplayer without the need for multiplayer, were RPGs.

i think its time to make more hybrid genre FPS/RPGs like Bioshock was.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtarmanrob View Post
yeah, i mean as much as i love Bioshock, multiplayer Bioshock doesnt really interest me, even co-op. i agree, what happened to the great singleplayer games of yesterday?

its definitely the greatest counter to piracy, but they could fix that by only allowing the game to work via an internet connection, to activate it. i know Mass Effect did that, and it still gets pirated, but you cant stop it anyway.

and notice how all the games we just mentioned as having good singeplayer without the need for multiplayer, were RPGs.

i think its time to make more hybrid genre FPS/RPGs like Bioshock was.
funny enough Bioshock is the game that tripped off the whole Securom thing.

that said i definitely agree with you about Bioshock and Fallout 3. both epic games

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AOwpr View Post
Yup, it would... and it'll have it, see my post right before yours. I'm extremely excited.

You and your friend, both Big Daddies. Sweeeeeeeeet. Might lead to intense coplay like GOW/GOW2.

#25 ·
I don't really think that a game has to have multiplayer to sell well. I just think that most games nowadays do have multiplayer because a lot of players, myself included, really enjoy online/multiplayer play. And adding in a multiplayer component to the game is probably not that much work, compared to the building of the engine and game development. I mean, I'm sure it's not super simple or anything, but I'm sure that it's nothing compared to building the game engine, and would add a lot to the game and convince some people to buy it.

Multiplayer definitely does help though.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AOwpr
View Post

More news, posting here...

Bioshock 2 will have co-op mode.

Source.

Didn't Elizabeth from 2k post on the forums that those rumors were false? That article still mentions you playing the role of the kidnapped girl's father and the game's lack of Big Daddies, although we now know that you play as a Big Daddy.

I don't remember them mentioning when we play as a Big Daddy though, and they did go into a few details about gameplay (where you can use Little Sisters to harvest ADAM for you or harvest them) - maybe that's a type of multiplayer mode and the single player does revolve around the girl's father?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.