Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2015, Valve got sued by a French consumer organization called UFC-Que Choisir (not to be confused with non-French, non-consumer organization the Ultimate Fighting Championship). UFC-Que Choisir had a multitude of bones to pick with the longtime Steam steward, the biggest among them being that Steam doesn’t let users resell their games. Four years later, a French court has ruled in UFC-Que Choisir’s favor. Valve plans to appeal.
https://kotaku.com/french-court-says-valve-must-allow-steam-users-to-resel-1838259529

Doesn't seem Valve is going anywhere with the appeal and it is just buying time since Oracle lost a similar lawsuit a few years ago.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,822 Posts
Good! My game, my way!

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,834 Posts
the more appealing part isn't selling your old used games for pennies, it's that if you have a Steam Wallet Balance and you close your account then Steam has to cash you out.

seems everywhere reporting on this is focusing on the former and ignoring the latter part.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
The sooner this is settled, the sooner I can start selling games I shouldn't have bought in the first place, lol.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I seen this over on reddit. Why only steam? Why not the rest of the PC download game stores, or what about the consoles? Why is steam so special? I do not think it its only a steam issue, because once a key is registered it is registered through the Publisher also. sometimes to an account and sometimes not to an account. I do not know anywhere you can resell a hardcopy of a PC game.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seen this over on reddit. Why only steam? Why not the rest of the PC download game stores, or what about the consoles? Why is steam so special? I do not think it its only a steam issue, because once a key is registered it is registered through the Publisher also. sometimes to an account and sometimes not to an account. I do not know anywhere you can resell a hardcopy of a PC game.
In modern law systems it is usually used to set a precedent. Then the other platforms are asked by this association to follow suit or being brought to court with a real high chance of losing because there's already a sentence and most judges don't like stepping on each other toes.

Valve is buying time to either prepare better for the EU court and likely lose like Oracle did or now that they're in deep drag every other platform with them to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
In modern law systems it is usually used to set a precedent. Then the other platforms are asked by this association to follow suit or being brought to court with a real high chance of losing because there's already a sentence and most judges don't like stepping on each other toes.

Valve is buying time to either prepare better for the EU court and likely lose like Oracle did or now that they're in deep drag every other platform with them to the bottom of this.
Still does not change the fact you cannot resell a physical copy.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,461 Posts
If this spreads, I guess the game developers will have to redo their fiscal models. There will be a lot of first hand sales lost.
And I don't think a sales/distribution company has ownership over the titles they are selling to the point of retroactively rewriting whatever agreements they have with the ones that actually have the intellectual property rights of the games they are selling. Regardless of what some judge in France says.

It would be like if this judge in France decided buyers of miner gpus should have an extra discount and Ebay would have to pay it, then retroactively charge the accounts of the sellers. There were terms of the sale at the time it was made.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
Interesting discussion and huge can of worms that this opens. If Steam is forced to let people resell their games, what exactly should the argument be to limit it to selling them through Steam only? What level of freedom should people have and why / why not? Why not be able to go somewhere else? Anyway, at the heart of this all is DRM, as always. A game launcher is a euphemistic description for a game controller / enforcer - and it doesn't necessarily have to do with a strict definition of DRM as we know it, but also functional DRM, because games are packaged and distributed in a way through game clients with all sorts of hooks to the client that makes them very hard to make truly standalone. And with stores within stores as we're seeing happening in the past few years (Rockstar being the latest example), even to launch single player games, this isn't going to get any better.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Remember how the 360/ps3 games would come with codes and stuff to unlock parts of the game to discourage buying used? Wonder how such systems would play out in a world where you can sell digital. I'd have to imagine that we'll see a resurgence of such practices. Could even make digital a lot less appealing to these companies then it is today. Interesting to see how this works out though I don't expect it to be cut and dry.

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
Hi,
Must allow .99 cent sells :)
Guess Origin/... is next.

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,616 Posts
If this spreads, I guess the game developers will have to redo their fiscal models. There will be a lot of first hand sales lost.
And I don't think a sales/distribution company has ownership over the titles they are selling to the point of retroactively rewriting whatever agreements they have with the ones that actually have the intellectual property rights of the games they are selling. Regardless of what some judge in France says.

It would be like if this judge in France decided buyers of miner gpus should have an extra discount and Ebay would have to pay it, then retroactively charge the accounts of the sellers. There were terms of the sale at the time it was made.
Yup...

Good news for steam, they already have a marketplace for all their DOTA, CS, and trading card things. Enabling the sale of whole games would not be too hard, probably. And this law will absolutely be used to bring down EA and everyone else too, and as far as I know, they do NOT have a marketplace to reuse.

RIP single player only games too. Oh yes, in the days of Gamestop you could return the game for a massive loss and if you got lucky might find a used copy in ok condition, but what if that entire process were 3 clicks of a mouse and both easier to get to and significantly less legal grey area than places like GMG? Buy for 60, play for 8 hours to beat campaign, sell for close to 60, and watch the day-one sales tank because you just need to wait a few hours.

Game devs will need to come up with alternate revenue streams, so I hope everyone likes MOBAs or grind fests like Destiny, because keeping you invested for a few hundred hours to buy cosmetics (or loot crates) is going to becomes the only realistically sustainable model.

-----------------------------------

On the other hand, now I can get rid of all those games clogging my library i'll never play...

How will Steam handle games that were sold as a bundle pack that can no longer be bought on the store, such as the 3D Realms Anthology pack ya think? Sell per game? Per bundle as bought? They still host the games for download, but if it isn't able to be bought anymore... How about games Steam has banned?

Oh a can of worms indeed. But when all is said and done, Steam will not be the one suffering.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,882 Posts
I envision people buying 100 copies of a game during Steam sales and selling them for a profit after the sale is over.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
I envision people buying 100 copies of a game during Steam sales and selling them for a profit after the sale is over.
all sorts of basic human interaction will take place that'll affect bottom lines. Just imagine the games existing in a system like the one they use for selling random digital game junk for pennies.

It could also be damaging to shady CD key sites as well, which would be a net gain all around right?

I envision transaction fees, at the least.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
exactly, a "transaction fee" ;)

and no, i'm not jumping on that kinda blockchain nonsense, or that monstrosity IBM and Boeing just released.

·
Newsfiend
2,429 Posts

·
Performance is the bible
7,200 Posts
The sooner this is settled, the sooner I can start selling games I shouldn't have bought in the first place, lol.
If this is going to sell like their market, than you are going to see prices of 0.1$ per game, since just like you, there are thousands of people wanting to sell the same games they bought through packages.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts