Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
In an attempt to sort through the rumors and figure out just what happened to Colonial Marines, I've spent the past few weeks talking to people with connections to the game. Some preferred to talk off the record; others agreed to let me report what they said so long as I didn't use their names. And the story behind A:CM-a story of dysfunctional development, miscommunication, and conflicting visions-has grown increasingly clear.
Source

Fixed quote and source to Kotaku.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I'm readin the article and all I'm getting so far is that timegate isn't a very good developer. Gearbox handed the project down and assumed they were competent enough not to be guided every single step of the way.

·
Null
6,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiumone View Post

I'm readin the article and all I'm getting so far is that timegate isn't a very good developer. Gearbox handed the project down and assumed they were competent enough not to be guided every single step of the way.
No, it sounds like scumbag Gearbox handed them a few assets and told Timegate to make a game shippable in about 1.5 years (end of 2010 to summer 2012), with some interference from SEGA urging them to make a more COD-like game. Maybe 1.5 years is long enough to make rehashes and mediocre games but definitely not for a good title.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

It explicitly does NOT say that....

They didn't even have a script so that demonstrates the lack of work done.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Aliens: Colonial Marines is heavily regarded as one of the biggest train wrecks in gaming history.
What in the world could be that bad about it for such a statement? I've barely seen it or rEAD ANYTHING ABOUT IT, BUt that implies everyone is talking about it and saying its garbage.

Whats wrong with it?

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Honestly, to me, its sounds like Gearbox was handed the product from Sega. Sega then wanted to control the development and narration of the game, leaving Gearbox in a situation of....

A) Work on this under the heel of Sega

B) Hand it to another studio that doesn't have anything on their plate, and continue working on a game they have absolute control of (Borderlands 2).

Everyone is so quick to point the finger at Gearbox, and now possibly this other studio, yet no one is looking at Sega. Have people forgotten that Sega ultimately had control of the product and what was to happen with it? Gearbox handed a project to another studio to do, that studio had conflicting direction and wasn't able to complete it. Gearbox then had to try and salvage the product in an extremely short period of time.

If anyone is to blame on this, it is Sega, and how they (mis)managed the game itself, through its entire life. It is a wonder that it actually made it to market at all!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
There's fault on all sides, but at the end of the day, the game failed because Gearbox decided Borderlands 2 was more important. A triple-A game is simply beyond Timebox's abilities, so giving them the project without a clear roadmap was suicidal for the project. If Timebox had been given a script and told "create the frame", 9 months would have been plenty for Gearbox to finish it. Telling a minor studio "here's the title of the game, make a AAA game and we'll finish it" is just a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post

What in the world could be that bad about it for such a statement? I've barely seen it or rEAD ANYTHING ABOUT IT, BUt that implies everyone is talking about it and saying its garbage.

Whats wrong with it?
Nothing to justify a statement like that, that's for sure, I thought it was ok personally...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post

Whats it like compared to the marines part of AvP ? I never got around to the other parts of that game but thought the marines part was spooky like Aliens

And how much better are the graphics?
Many think the AvP 2010 Marine section, which was criticized, is still better than Colonial Marines. The Graphics in AVP 2010 are also quite a bit better.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,711 Posts
So it's true. What was said previously at least. The game wasn't good enough of a product by the time Gearbox tweaked it and they had to remake the entire game from scratch because the consoles of the time were holding them back...
jealoussmiley.gif
Absolutely asinine...

Why would you make a game like this for a console when the first game in this franchise was a PC game? There were console games based on Aliens, but they weren't half as good as the PC versions. Console versions of games are ALWAYS dumbed down when compared to the PC version. Halo is a good example actually.
tongue.gif
The first one I mean.

Good work Gearbox. You failed at making a game we were all expecting to be amazing. Let's hope that game updates and patches can potentially salvage this game into something halfway decent.

And before I get the haters in against me, look at what EA did for Crysis 2; the HD texture pack? They can still change a LOT with this game. Really, Why don't they just remake what they had previously? Why scrap what they had? So what if THAT version couldn't have played on the PS3? Just saying... you don't make a game that looks identical to, and probably is, DX11 and play it on a console. Sorry, but it's true.
wink.gif
I'm still shocked at how people play Borderlands on the 360 to this day... and think that they get anything close to 30 fps even at 720p.
rolleyes.gif

The only thing I would ask for is the patches be something worthwhile. Make adjustments to the Alien A.I. and give us PC gamers an HD texture pack. It's NOT too far off to ask for.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Look I love Borderland 1 & 2 and Gearbox hit them right out of the park.
wubsmiley.gif

BUT and a big but at that! is Aliens was a mess and a lot of that lays on Gearbox not putting any love in to.
They need to be hands-on with a project like this one not just throw it on the back burn for a later but
I have to say it not all of Gearbox's fault. Some lies with TimeGate not being a AAA developer nor having the time,
resources, direction hell even leadership for a game like this. It also lies with Sega not being hands-on with the
project not doing there do diligence as the investor.

Hell the real problem lies with the fact non of them respect the franchise the games was based on. Movie games almost always
face these same problems. You treat them like movies you respect the source material and you build from it not
just copy and past like most or worst throw it all a way. This is the reason I rarely buy any games based of a movie
franchises and the only ones I ever like was Escape from Butcher Bay and even tho not as good Dark Athena is because
they respected the source and build on top of it in a fun a creative way adding to the character that was Riddick and the universe around him.
but if you treat it like a COD by the numbers its going to fail and hard.

·
Reject the system
1,575 Posts
AArrrrggggh!

I hate how this game became what it is. I'm playing it, painfully. Multiplay *could* be so good. It just isn't. Trying to transition across walls as an alien is just a practice in frustration.

Aliens vs Predator 2010 was great too, except for the parts that weren't. It's biggest flaw was the game became an instant kill button spam fest while going around in circles. At least AvP 2010 had dedicated servers, unlike this pile with it's fail p2p hosting. ACM amounts to the marines huddled in a corner while random aliens throw thmeslves, solo, at the group. Fun times, indeed.

Why don't we even have an option to search all game types when we try and find a game! I'm sitting here for 20 minutes on one type, then I move on to the next type to sit for 20 minutes, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
News Junkie
8,235 Posts
Quote:

I read, Gearbox handed them a turd. Timegate tried to polish the turd. Gearbox were unhappy they ended up with a polished turd and proceeded to polish it some more.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Worth pointing out that the original source for this article is here.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.