Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Attempts to stem used game sales at GameStop have just turned into a legal headache for the retailer who thrives on selling pre-owned video games. The company has just been hit with a lawsuit over "deceptive and misleading" sales practices.

http://kotaku.com/5502426/gamestop-h...sed-game-sales

interesting that they go after GameStop, and not EA...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
http://kotaku.com/5502426/gamestop-h...sed-game-sales

interesting that they go after GameStop, and not EA...
As a retailer they should let the customer know that if they buy the games used
That the DLC code is more then likely invalid and wont work..

Therefore, gamestop should reduce prices on these games as the customer is not getting everything they have or are going to pay for.

EA and other publishers are implementing this as a way to decease used games sales as they make $0 from this and it hurts devs and the publishers alike, If you think pirating on the PC hurts us, used game sales hurt all of us more then anything.

This is a very valid suit and gamestop deserves it.

·
Banned
3,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by D1G1tal_one View Post
As a retailer they should let the customer know that if they buy the games used
That the DLC code is more then likely invalid and wont work..

Therefore, gamestop should reduce prices on these games as the customer is not getting everything they have or are going to pay for.

EA and other publishers are implementing this as a way to decease used games sales as they make $0 from this and it hurts devs and the publishers alike, If you think pirating on the PC hurts us, used game sales hurt all of us more then anything.

This is a very valid suit and gamestop deserves it.
I agree. We should also sue used car dealers, as well as individuals who attempt to sell their used car on the black market.

This is obviously a deceptive, cruel practice that hurts car manufacturers more than theft from auto lots.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Personally? I usually buy all my games from walmart when I do purchase console games (I use steam on the PC). And never once have I had an error or scratched disc. I buy 1, brand new still wrapped in the package game from gamestop and its scratched to hell and back. Apparently they repackage used games and sell them for new. I was lucky I got their shotty scratch warranty. Never again have I purchased a new game from them.

So I really could care less what happens to gamestop.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tainok View Post
I agree. We should also sue used car dealers, as well as individuals who attempt to sell their used car on the black market.

This is obviously a deceptive, cruel practice that hurts car manufacturers more than theft from auto lots.

Yes we should sue them! But your comparison is moot, Does it take 4+ years to pay off one game? No, Nowadays they have things called carfaqs to tell you what has happened to said car.

What GS is doing is like selling a car w/o something advertised. Say i put up a car on CL with new tires a brand new Rad new brakes and AC, well when the buyer comes out and i get the money they go home to find out there is no AC and the tires are almost bald its very easy to get sued for false advertising which is what this guy and his class action lawsuit is doing

Should read the notes on the case not just the article from kotaku.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by D1G1tal_one View Post
Yes we should sue them! But your comparison is moot, Does it take 4+ years to pay off one game? No, Nowadays they have things called carfaqs to tell you what has happened to said car.

What GS is doing is like selling a car w/o something advertised. Say i put up a car on CL with new tires a brand new Rad new brakes and AC, well when the buyer comes out and i get the money they go home to find out there is no AC and the tires are almost bald its very easy to get sued for false advertising which is what this guy and his class action lawsuit is doing

Should read the notes on the case not just the article from kotaku.
You were right the first time. The car comparison is moot. It is buyer beware for a used car. If you missed the tires being bald then it is the buyers fault.

Gamestop should take responsibility for products that are not as advertised however.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
You were right the first time. The car comparison is moot. It is buyer beware for a used car. If you missed the tires being bald then it is the buyers fault.

Gamestop should take responsibility for products that are not as advertised however.

Well this is what i was getting at, I just worded it wrong. They are saying said game comes with said material, but when said purchaser buys the game and it doesnt come with the things they have said comes with, GS should warn the consumer or give them a discounted price.

I was using the used car thing as a reference since we all know selling a used car is exactly like selling video games...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
GS sold me a 360 controller with a sticker claiming it was new. When I got it home and took it out of what I thought was a sealed package at the store, their was dirt and mess in all of the cracks. When I pulled the battery off I found 'Brads' name in there. I promptly took it back to the store. Gathered all the people in the store to the counter and showed the employee the issue. He said they don't sell used items in new packaging. I said I don't trash stores that sell me new items in new condition. With a smile on my face and a wild look in my eye, 'cause I was ready to get busy on that store'. He then said he would refund my money, but it would take two days for the management to authorize it(that makes no sense to me). I just told him he would be cleaning up the store during that time. That's when the audience started yelling that they would trash the store with me. Seeing that his guy was in the store alone and now being surrounded, he did what anyone would do when a bunch of hyper people look like they are about to do no good... Give them what they want!

This little Asian kid stopped me outside the store when I left and asked if I want to buy a 360 controller for $10. I asked if he stole it while I was in the store. He hesitated, but caved. "Yes", he said with his head down. When he looked back up he was staring at a $10 spot. I was looking at a brand new 360 controller. So I bought a used/new one for $28. Found out I was being scammed and made a demand. When my demands were met, I stumbled over a golden egg. I saved $15 on my friends B-Day present and gave a kid money for stealing something from a company that was trying to steal from me.

I hope he bought good 'Pad Thai' with that $10!

·
Registered
267 Posts
The car comparison I believe - was to state that - you can say it hurts car manufacturers (as it was stated used games hurt publishers/devs).

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Why they cant just put up a sign in store saying "EA says DLC is for original buyers only, 2nd hand games may not have DLC included."

I dont see how its different from buying a brand new game on the day its released only to have DLC (which wasnt actually downloaded, rather hidden within the game itself) announced at an additional cost less then a month later.

DLC is very VERY bad for gamers.

·
Banned
564 Posts
what a crock. more spoiled ass kids throwing tamtroms cuz EVERYTHING didnt go their way. would it really have been that hard to ask the teller one damn question "hey does this come with DLC?"

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tainok
View Post

A manufactured good like a car and an intellectual good like software are two completely different things. For starters, a used car will never be as good as a new car due to mechanical wear and tear.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm all for kicking GameStop's ass but this whining about losing money on used sales annoys me, personally.

A car manufacturer gets paid for the cost of a car (parts and technology) plus profit. Why should they get paid again when the car changes hands? They don't sell you a "license" for the car. They sell you a physical, tangible item that you have the full ownership of. I don't understand this...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXMark
View Post

GS sold me a 360 controller with a sticker claiming it was new. When I got it home and took it out of what I thought was a sealed package at the store, their was dirt and mess in all of the cracks. When I pulled the battery off I found 'Brads' name in there. I promptly took it back to the store. Gathered all the people in the store to the counter and showed the employee the issue. He said they don't sell used items in new packaging. I said I don't trash stores that sell me new items in new condition. With a smile on my face and a wild look in my eye, 'cause I was ready to get busy on that store'. He then said he would refund my money, but it would take two days for the management to authorize it(that makes no sense to me). I just told him he would be cleaning up the store during that time. That's when the audience started yelling that they would trash the store with me. Seeing that his guy was in the store alone and now being surrounded, he did what anyone would do when a bunch of hyper people look like they are about to do no good... Give them what they want!

This little Asian kid stopped me outside the store when I left and asked if I want to buy a 360 controller for $10. I asked if he stole it while I was in the store. He hesitated, but caved. "Yes", he said with his head down. When he looked back up he was staring at a $10 spot. I was looking at a brand new 360 controller. So I bought a used/new one for $28. Found out I was being scammed and made a demand. When my demands were met, I stumbled over a golden egg. I saved $15 on my friends B-Day present and gave a kid money for stealing something from a company that was trying to steal from me.

I hope he bought good 'Pad Thai' with that $10!

That's an awesome story

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoka Cola
View Post

Personally? I usually buy all my games from walmart when I do purchase console games (I use steam on the PC). And never once have I had an error or scratched disc. I buy 1, brand new still wrapped in the package game from gamestop and its scratched to hell and back. Apparently they repackage used games and sell them for new. I was lucky I got their shotty scratch warranty. Never again have I purchased a new game from them.

So I really could care less what happens to gamestop.

Yeah, I don't plan to buy anything that's not brande new from them again. I'm going all Steam though for PC. I can tell if it has been repackaged or not, it's just that I bought a scratched up L4D2 for my 360 and they wouldn't let me return it (or exchange). Buts they gave me $20 for a trade-in, for a $55 game that only worked once.

And they are apparently accusing my Xbox of "burning" the disc, um no, it has never done this before. I have owned my 360 for 3 years, and they are coming up with blasphemy.

I say, sue their damn pants off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tainok
View Post

Yes, but how many used car dealers sell cars without engines, and with just 10% below actual new retail.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts