Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Subarashii Mortal
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The ambitious space game No Man's Sky has been delayed, two sources tell Kotaku. We don't know exactly what the new release date is-and it may not be finalized yet-but we're hearing it's been bumped until at least July or August.
Source

More info at source.

No official announcement came from Sony or Hello Games yet, but looking at how less the game is getting marketed in the recent weeks, the delay is quite possible.

UPDATE: No official announcement yet after 2 days but reports from EB stores in Quebec suggests that the release date for USA has been pushed by 3 days to match the release date of UK which is June 24, 2016.

UPDATE 2: Release date changed to August 9, 2016 on Sony's website.

UPDATE 3: Rumour and new release date confirmed: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/27/no-mans-sky-coming-to-ps4-in-august/

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was afraid that would happen. If the source is correct and it's only a one month bump - that might not be so bad though.

At least it's not a Star Citizen type delay. *cough* see you next year
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrbradbury View Post

I was afraid that would happen. If the source is correct and it's only a one month bump - that might not be so bad though.

At least it's not a Star Citizen type delay. *cough* see you next year
biggrin.gif
I plan on playing a lot of No Man Sky waiting for Star Citizen. I've been a backer since kickstarter and I can tell you one thing, we're not going to see a complete game until 2018. The scope is far too grand.

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnanasnoic View Post

I am out of the loop. I thought this game came out like two Summers ago.
Nah, the hype train just started long ago. It began to run out of steam for a lot of people when it was revealed it truly isn't multiplayer. It will be interesting to see what it has to offer for those that are alright with the single player experience.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
This game is going to be amazing or absolutely terrible. Based on videos, it has huge promise but I can't help but feel it's going to be a massive flop. It has some amazing and absolutely groundbreaking features, but I feel like there's almost nothing to do. They haven't shown much and I hope that's because they want to keep everything a surprise, not because there's a basically infinite universe out with no real reason to explore it.

Every video it's like "So what can you do?" "Explore, Trade, Trade some more, You can be a trader, Trading is possible, exploring!". Then for combat it always ends the same, shoot an animal and get attacked by drones until you die (GTA-style). For space combat, shoot the pods off some large ships then fly away or get destroyed. Every single video shown is more or less the same content that is going to get boring very quickly.

This delay doesn't help my suspicions, I'll be holding off for reviews before buying.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

This game is going to be amazing or absolutely terrible. Based on videos, it has huge promise but I can't help but feel it's going to be a massive flop. It has some amazing and absolutely groundbreaking features, but I feel like there's almost nothing to do. They haven't shown much and I hope that's because they want to keep everything a surprise, not because there's a basically infinite universe out with no real reason to explore it.

Every video it's like "So what can you do?" "Explore, Trade, Trade some more, You can be a trader, Trading is possible, exploring!". Then for combat it always ends the same, shoot an animal and get attacked by drones until you die (GTA-style). For space combat, shoot the pods off some large ships then fly away or get destroyed. Every single video shown is more or less the same content that is going to get boring very quickly.

This delay doesn't help my suspicions, I'll be holding off for reviews before buying.
I whole heartedly agree with the lack of everything in the game. My girlfriend is hyped for this game, but I'm still very reserved on this game and the value it really holds. She was hyped for Battleborn too with a launch day purchase, but that game is crashing pretty hard now with prices slashed like crazy.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Quote:

My feeling too. The promotion of the game makes it seem like the big thing about it is that it's great at being a sandbox exploration game in space and that's it. That's not enough to make a single player experience compelling. They hint that there is a far away objective but never really explain it. The game has to have a story of some sort, an objective, that is what will tie all the loose ends and make it something you want to play.

Like many sandbox games, that shouldn't preclude the player from continuing to explore space after the main mission is completed, of course (Mafia II is perhaps the only exception that I know of). I just hope that they aren't just now going to shoehorn a story in there. A proper story, much more so when it's in a game, takes time.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Hopefully the delay is to add instanced multiplayer for split screen and 2 player co-op because the game looks dreadfully boring, based on the shallow 2 dimensional gameplay footage we've been shown.

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,114 Posts
I'm totally fine with it getting delayed if they manage to add in a co-op multiplayer. Without that, I simply won't play it. It's the only reason I play games like Terraria and Starbound, and I was hoping for this to be like that, but broader in scope.

·
Subarashii Mortal
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

I'm totally fine with it getting delayed if they manage to add in a co-op multiplayer. Without that, I simply won't play it. It's the only reason I play games like Terraria and Starbound, and I was hoping for this to be like that, but broader in scope.
There are plans for multiplayer in the future but at the start, that's not the main focus of the game. (Quoting Sean from an interview)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienz View Post

The space exploration flying walking simulator has been delayed?! Noes.

....I still want to play it and name my first planet "Planet Bob"
biggrin.gif
It's survival at first... Exploration comes in 2nd.
If you like Skyrim and would play it after finishing the main quest, NMS is for you.

·
Subarashii Mortal
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to clear it up, even after 24 hours there has been no official announcement for the "change" in the release date. However, some GameSpot received the "marketing kit" which did have the information telling them to cover up the release date of NMS with a "Coming Soon" label. Some marketing kits received by GameSpot in some parts, don't have this information. At the moment, it's really unclear as to what's happening to the release date.

The marketing kit calls out for a "change" in release date, and officials being silent about this, hints at an early release at E3, rather than a delay.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Quote:

This game is going to be amazing or absolutely terrible. Based on videos, it has huge promise but I can't help but feel it's going to be a massive flop. It has some amazing and absolutely groundbreaking features, but I feel like there's almost nothing to do.

Remember Spore? Feels much the same as that. It was going to be everything to everyone. Ended up being...well...not.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If this game does fail, itll be no doubt because of the people whio think because this isnt/was an indie team, the game isnt worth full price.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
How long can it take to make a procedurally generated game?
biggrin.gif

It looks good though...

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

+1

Our private StarBound server has a script running, when 1.0 drops (soon) it will automatically grab it, moment of release! Once acquired it will then launch the VPS for us, and notify us via messenger it is up and ready. We are StarBound nuts!

No Man's Sky was supposed to be the "big" version for us, as early on multiplayer was being spoken about, if only in small bits. Resulting in a big disappointment upon further clarification. We think a game like it really requires good multiplayer to survive. Hopefully it survives long enough for them to see that, and to get it out.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I hope they have some top notch game designers working on the game because I can think of a few MAJOR design issues they need to have addressed in some way or fashion. The biggest one being a massive never ending space ... what prevents the user from always being isolated. I think about Eve Online and there are 17000 players, and 8000 systems. You will run into people in the 1.0 to 0.1 security areas accounting for 2000 of the systems, but the other 6000 its pretty barren. If its a Corps base (guild) , you will definitely see a few people, but the more hops you jump away, the less and less people, and you will run into several systems with 0 people. Keep in mind a system accounts for several asteroid belts, planets, and star(s). So with No Mans Sky, as you explore , how do they prevent the linear growth in size? Think about a circle, everyone is holding hands shoulder to shoulder in the center and as they walk outwards the gap increases to the point where they cant even hold hands anymore, and they keep walking and now they are a mile apart from each other. Obviously they dont all start in the center, but unless you know where someone is, your blindly moving potentially away from everyone.

I need to follow up some more on this game. I hope the game does well, it sounds fun, but it was probably to hard for them to do right.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts