Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
If you live in Canada and are thinking about picking up a PlayStation 4, yesterday would have been good day. Today Sony Canada raised the console price from $399.99 to $449.99 Canadian, with similar increases applied to peripherals and first-party games. 1P

Market watchers should have seen it coming. At current exchange rates, $399 Canadian is only $359 USD, so technically Canadians who managed to get their hands on the perpetually sold-out console were getting quite a deal before today. Markets are going to fluctuate, and Sony had to compensate, as explained in a statement issued by Sony Canada earlier this week.
Source : http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-is-now-50-more-expensive-in-canada-1544585336/all

Saw it coming, most games are now 65$ CAD instead of the classic 59,99$... I remember back in the days of the Ps2, the ps2 was selling for 500$ CAD and i think the us price was 300$. Same thing for the Gameboy advance SP which was 100$ in the US and 150$ in Canada...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
so thats why all the prices are so high. I find it weird that when our dollar goes below parity then our prices go up, but when our dollar is above parity nothing decreases, I dont even get to pay the US price for books
rolleyes.gif

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,402 Posts
Prices always fluctuate. When I bought Oblivion for Xbox 360 in 2006, it was 69.99 + our glorious tax. Not surprised by the game prices but the console going up by 50$ is quite the surprise.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
10 cents on the dollar equals a 15 percent increase...

makes perfect sense really.

kookoo.gif

if i wanted 5 year old hardware i'd hit up a garage sale.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,402 Posts
The stock exchange isn't the only thing that determines the prices of our goods you know. As far as I am aware, it has to do with the tariffs between Canada and the US more then anything. You could always drive down to Buffalo
tongue.gif

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughtahouse View Post

The stock exchange isn't the only thing that determines the prices of our goods you know. As far as I am aware, it has to do with the tariffs between Canada and the US more then anything. You could always drive down to Buffalo
tongue.gif
not tariffs at all...
Quote:
The new "framework" will enable Canada's competition watchdog to pursue companies that "use their market power to charge higher prices in Canada that are not reflective of legitimate higher costs," according to the budget. It mentions "corporate agreements" that thwart Canadian retailers from buying directly from U.S. distributors.

Canadian retailers have complained that suppliers often charge them 10 to 50 per cent more as a result of these deals, leaving them unable to sell at lower the prices offered in the U.S.

Citing various independent studies, the budget says Canadians were paying anywhere from 10 to 25 per cent more than Americans for most goods in 2011 - even after adjusting for the exchange rate and higher Canadian sales taxes.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/slumping-loonie-could-crimp-ottawas-plan-to-lower-consumer-prices/article16795059/

before the decline of our dollar but i believe still relevant.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,402 Posts
Well there is always that rat stuff too lol

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Quote:

tongue.gif
What ever happened to our "Free Trade Agreement"?

·
PC Evangelist
47,498 Posts
More reasons not to get it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:

tongue.gif
dont we have FTA with the US?

and youre assuming everyone just lives near buffalo? or close to the border? lol. the gas youd spend would probably make it cost more if youre more than 2 hours away from the border. not to mention $ conversions.

anyways the usual excuse is population/dollar value vs the US.
rolleyes.gif
its actually stupid. especially given we saw no changes to pricing when our dollar was at and above parity with the US dollar for a good while a few years ago. we drop 10c for a couple months and suddenly "all prices must rise". i wouldnt have an issue if there was consistency on both sides of our dollar value vs the US, but there isnt.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishagi View Post

What ever happened to our "Free Trade Agreement"?
There was an article I read a while back about the tarrifs on goods brought into Canada. I could be possibly confusing with goods brought in from other countries, but there is an issue with it. I'm also aware that we have a free trade agreement with US and possibly Mexico. If I'll find it, ill share it. That's also why I wrote "as far as I know". I'm not an economist by any means.

·
PC Evangelist
47,498 Posts
Quote:

There was an article I read a while back about the tarrifs on goods brought into Canada. I could be possibly confusing with goods brought in from other countries, but there is an issue with it. I'm also aware that we have a free trade agreement with US and possibly Mexico. If I'll find it, ill share it. That's also why I wrote "as far as I know". I'm not an economist by any means.
I think the trade is good for stuff made in US and not Made in China products.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
tariffs are there to protect canadian manufacturers who left years ago...

so now its just a tax that the government collects and spends on tax credits for alberta oil companies.

i read an artice that said a car made in ontario costs less in hawaii than it does in ontario.

found it

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Welll poop well I wasn't interested in getting it anyways. Sucks our dollar is so low right now though

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

tariffs are there to protect canadian manufacturers who left years ago...

so now its just a tax that the government collects and spends on tax credits for alberta oil companies.

i read an artice that said a car made in ontario costs less in hawaii than it does in ontario.

found it
That's just sad ;_;

I always get so jealous when I watch the Barrett-Jackson auction and see classics that are in mint go cheaper then new camerys here.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunreeper View Post

Welll poop well I wasn't interested in getting it anyways. Sucks our dollar is so low right now though
Our dollar currently worth 90 US cent, I know it was higher than that less than a year ago, still not too bad, considering it was around 60 cent in the 90s and early 2000.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thats terrible. Sure the Sony guys will argue that its still cheaper than the XB1 and they'd be right, but I hate that the price hike occurred in the first place. I feel everyday more and more so that gamers are getting less for their buck(ignoring inflation). Heck, most AAA titles nowadays get you under 12hrs.

Thank god for indie games.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts