Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Nintendo, more than any other publisher on Earth, goes after pirates with its teeth out and its guns blazing. So it's funny to hear company president Satoru Iwata say it's not an excuse for poor game sales.

"I do not think we should attribute bad software sales solely to piracy", he said during a Q&A session held last week following the reveal of the 3DS' pricing and release in Japan.

"It is true there is always the influence of piracy, but it is important for us to increase the number of our consumers who are willing to shell out their money to purchase our products. So, we do not intend to think that slower sales are solely due to piracy."

SOURCE

·
Registered
488 Posts
If a developer creates an engaging, fresh, and innovative gaming experience people will purchase it. This fact is especially true when a developer puts in the time and effort to create a worth while multiplayer experience. There is nothing that motivates me to purchase a title more than solid closed multiplayer experience.

I cannot think of a user base that loves to pirate and cheat more than those in Diablo 2. Yet, Diablo 2 still sells thousands of copies a year.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by justarealguy
View Post

Piracy is always a very delicate topic. You have those who perceive it as theft, lost revenue, a way to generate word of mouth and many more things. All of which carry some weight.

Notch (imo) summarizes it well. http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1121596...w-piracy-works

Well written. He says what Gabe Newell of Valve has been saying for years, if you offer a good service, people will always buy it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Odd. I remember reading a article stating they were purposely making the new handheld console anti-piracy, heard they were trying very hard, and it was a strong point in stopping piracy...

This does not contradict, but it is odd to say the least.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyDave View Post
Odd. I remember reading a article stating they were purposely making the new handheld console anti-piracy, heard they were trying very hard, and it was a strong point in stopping piracy...

This does not contradict, but it is odd to say the least.
Eh, not really. Just because piracy may not be a factor for poor game sales doesn't mean you'd still want people to do it. I do wish Nintendo would support homebrew though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Pirates will pirate no matter if they have money or not. Of course, many are shut-ins, who would never venture out to pick up a retail title, even if it was near-free (or free for that matter). Others just have poor upbringing.

For instance, locally (midwest, USA) , there are at least two stores where I can get retail boxed or jeweled cased titles for cheap. This one place is a surplus warehouse that sells retail boxed titles for $2 (even new titles like Modern Warfare 2), all jeweled cased titles are 25 cents. I bought over 80+ games the other day for like $40. All brand new and sealed.

For those afraid of sunshine there is always Amazon marketplace and eBay powersellers. Lot of cheapo games on there. I've gotten modern titles costing $49.99, brand new and sealed, for anywhere from $4-5 to $8-10 from some of these power sellers.

So yeah, pirates from my experience are just shut-ins, lazy, or just folks with bad character who would pirate even if they weren't lazy or shut-ins.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
They all just gotta be like valve.

Buying TF2 or L4D on the free-weekends for like 10$, there is no need to pirate it with these prices

·
Banned
2,217 Posts
Quote:
So it's funny to hear company president Satoru Iwata say it's not an excuse for poor game sales.
Well, no, Nintendo are within their rights to go after pirates, whilst also recognising that piracy isn't an excuse for poor game sales. Why is this funny to hear? It's music to my ears.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
Well, no, Nintendo are within their rights to go after pirates, whilst also recognising that piracy isn't an excuse for poor game sales. Why is this funny to hear? It's music to my ears.
And it is the absolute truth as well. Poor sales can mean a few things: not enough killer titles that people want, low quality product, etc... But it is also driven by previous games. The way I look at it, if a game comes out that is really fun, challenging and engaging, people will spend much more time playing it - and will not be ready to move on to another game. Thus, previous success can hinder future success.

I think sales are down because of the fear of a recession resurgence, with people really clamping down on purchases, and taking much more time in the decision making process.

Nintendo scored a big win with the WII, but then, people are probably looking at the PS3 Move system that is out as well. But it all comes down to the killer titles. Years ago, I bought a PS2 because of two games: GT3 and Twisted Metal, and I still haven't upgraded. It also helps that the store in our city that sold games and consoles has long since disappeared, meaning a one to two hour trip to another city for browsing purposes.

This is the same stuff that happened in the music industry that has been up for discussion in another thread. If the companies want to sell product, they better make a product people want, at a decent price that people will pay, and actually have a place where people can buy it. If Nintendo wants to sell games, they should consider setting up a store in this city, because there are 3/4rs of a million people who do not have access to these things: no games stores of any worth, no record stores, and really, no computer stores either...

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Would be nice if every game before release came out with a demo. But i do think people need to lower the prices on their games, would be better in the long run. Hell i am still waiting for COD4 price to drop to 19.99.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdolphin View Post
+1
Though I do not condone piracy, many private trackers simply state at the end of torrents that "if you enjoy it...buy it!"
That isn't written by the trackers, it's written in the NFO by the scene release groups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryman546 View Post
keep believing that.
There aren't many games I've actually liked (played beyond about 15-30 min), but most of those I did, I purchased. Out of my collection, I can't really bring to mind any I haven't later purchased.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by $till LegendaryU2K View Post
Would be nice if every game before release came out with a demo.
This.

Once upon a time there was shareware. Music had the radio, movies had trailers on TV, and games had shareware demos on the internet and in stores. And the shareware copies normally weren't too stripped down - for example, with Doom and Doom II, you could play an entire 1/3 of the game. With Diablo it was 1/4. Either way that's quite a lot of playing time - enough to get you hooked if you liked it. And if you got hooked, you KNOW you'd be buying the full version that same day

Today they figure that advertising the games on TV is enough. But it's not. I've NEVER seen a commercial for a game and said "that looks like fun". But I really couldn't even count the number of games I've bought just because I played a shareware/demo of one.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I really don't see any game commercials anymore like it was in the past. Even if i do see some, i usually don't pay them any attention. On another note, i usually wait for the price to drop on a game before i attempt to download. I waited, what 4 years before buying GTA SA. I just bought GTA SA last year lol. I have the patience to wait.

As for console games, i really don't see any reason to download console games, because all you have to do is go to gamestop/ebgames and buy them at such low prices. You still have to wait for the new ones to drop in price tho, thus thats why i tell people to continue shopping in the budget section and play other games.

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by $till LegendaryU2K View Post
I call bs on this. Why would someone take the time to download a game ( a large one for that matter ) , than play it and say " This game is really good ". I am going to delete the whole game from my hard drive or throw away the already burn ISO , and spend 50 bucks on this game in the store.

Sorry but i am not believing people who does this.

On a different note, most games ( consoles and pc ) are too damn expensive, and the game is not even worth the money. So if Nintendo is having sells problems, maybe they need to lower the price of their games.
I did that with BFBC2, COD4, MW2.

I didn't waste my time buying them in store or uninstalling. I bought a CD Key and entered it in the game. No uninstall needed or anything. Although it does reset your online profile stats in COD4.

And I bought 2 COD4 keys. One for my laptop, one for desktop.

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Honestly I don't really agree. Most people will not pay for things they can get for free. When I tell people that I pay for my games, music, software & movies, people can't believe it. With all the people I see who don't pay for their stuff, I can't see how this isn't hurting the gaming industry at least.

Quote:
I did that with BFBC2, COD4, MW2.
You are obviously not the average person we are complaining about.

Quote:
Don't blame the pirates. Blame the developer's inability to make good games
That's the kind of reasoning I hate, if the game sucks then why do you bother downloading it? And if you really want it for cheap, get a used copy on eBay or something. There is pretty much always a cheap legal alternative to downloading.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Guys it is against our TOS to promote/discuss piracy here.

Quote:

• Discuss any form of Piracy or DMCA violations (for additional information click here)
-TOS

I just deleted around 20 posts where you are admitting to and promoting it.

If it continues don't be surprised when you receive infractions for it.

It is a real easy infraction to avoid, and I would just as soon not have to give out infractions for it, but I will if I need to.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by voice
View Post

Well written. He says what Gabe Newell of Valve has been saying for years, if you offer a good service, people will always buy it.

This is very true, and why I've been buying more and more steam games lately. Well thats more attributed to the mega sales they've been having every once in a while, but steam hasn't disappointed me yet.
And if nintendo stepped up on quality control that would be amazing. I think I heard less than 11% of the games made for the wii are moderately successful, which is pretty sad.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Steam's sales are single-handedly combating piracy on the PC side of things. On consoles I don't see why developers are freaking out. If somebody goes through the trouble to mod their 360 with chips and drive flashing, its safe to say they're pretty dedicated to getting free games.

The downside is that developers are adding mediocre multiplayer modes to help eliminate piracy, which only takes away from the singleplayer experience by reducing resources.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by $till LegendaryU2K
View Post

Would be nice if every game before release came out with a demo. But i do think people need to lower the prices on their games, would be better in the long run. Hell i am still waiting for COD4 price to drop to 19.99.

First search result.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts