Overclock.net banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yea, I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this.

Kubuntu def didn't have drivers or anything for my cards...So...look's like there's a no on installing on this rig

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrinNutz

Yea, I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this.

Kubuntu def didn't have drivers or anything for my cards...So...look's like there's a no on installing on this rig

Are you talking about the two beautifull ATI cards you have there? You are going to have to install the propietary Linux drivers for them to get 3D support, but I don't think you will be able to use crossfire under Linux (blame ATI).

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Nah, ATi linux drivers don't support crossfire, RAID is really annoying to get running- of course my pc is a bit newer than yours, so I can expect problems with linux

Try Fedora Core 6, or Mandriva 2007. as far as your raid goes, they'll probably detect yours. But getting crossfire to work within linux is impossible, due to ati's closed source drivers.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch13f121

Nah, ATi linux drivers don't support crossfire, RAID is really annoying to get running- of course my pc is a bit newer than yours, so I can expect problems with linux

Try Fedora Core 6, or Mandriva 2007. as far as your raid goes, they'll probably detect yours. But getting crossfire to work within linux is impossible, due to ati's closed source drivers.

Well, ain't that a *****...Glad I got 2 other rig's I can run it on..=)

Does SLI run in Linux, if not, then I only have one rig I can run it on?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrinNutz

Well, ain't that a *****...Glad I got 2 other rig's I can run it on..=)

Does SLI run in Linux, if not, then I only have one rig I can run it on?

Yes, SLI can work in Linux. I know theRemix has gotten it to work.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
There is really no point in running SLI/Crossfire on Linux other than for bragging rights, since games suck under Linux (unless you get one of the Linux ports, which are few). Maybe for some hot Beryl/Compiz action...

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just wanted to run linux to learn it man...I was going to game in XP..the linux thing is just for learning's sake..
AND :
One of my systems is a Crossfire setup..Sig, another is a 7800GT SLI setup..so...I have 3 rigs...take your pic...2 with 2 cards..and one with one card...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerousHobo

1024MB to 2048MB is big enough for the swap.

- Well seeing as how we both are not Linux noobs, I would agree that 1024Mb to 2048Mb is a big enough swap, as long as, you were running command line only or not dual-booting with Windows. General rule of
for a Linux only OS system is 1/2 the size of your physical memory(RAM) for command line only, and 1/1 for GUI/X-windows setup.

And with all the adding of flashy GUI's, and add-ons like XGL/Compiz(Wobbly Windows and the "Cube"). Not to mention the neat Windows Emulator's, Media Players, etc, etc, eating up more and more memory, and then add dual booting OS's(which Linux runs a "Swap Space" in the form of a partition, and Windows uses a "Swap File", which is just that, a file. And considering they both generally share the swap space, and if you are running Linux, and the swap space becomes full, it will without much hesitation, overwrite Windows Swap File. In disbelief? Need
?? Trace back your sectors on your HDD, pitch your numbers from the start point to the -->, and cross that with where your Linux "Swap Space", and Windows "Swap File" is located).In this type of scenario, it is a general rule of
for your Swap to be 1 1/2 of your physical memory(RAM), to 2/1 of your physical memory.

I say, just to be safe, run a 2/1 ratio of Swap to RAM. And another small, yet important fact, is that the free-memory measure on Linux machines is normally pretty low, even when the machine has plenty of memory for the tasks it's running. This is normal and intentional: the Kernel tries to keep memory filled up with cached pages, and has no priority factor.

I can take constructive criticism, as a matter of fact I prefer it to blind agreement, but not blind disagreement. I probably didnt explain myself in as much detail in my previous post, but anyone who has more than moderate experience with Linux, I think, should of seen that. So I hope this clears up the reasoning of why I told him to create a Swap Space of 4Gb for His setup. Thanx....

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Back in the day two to three times the amount the size of your RAM was needed. Someone with a 1gb+ RAM though this is not as big of a problem. The wobbly windows and that are not big resource hogs like people think. They can run on a notebook with only 64bit of RAM. I saw it my self, its not that smooth its but it works. With a Swap size of 2gb, I have never seen it use more than 20%. Most of the time its not it use. The man reason you would want such a large swap is if the system unexpectedly got turned off then all the data in the RAM would be able to be viewed in the swap on restart for debugging. I'll look into the Linux swap overwriting the Windows, I have never heard of that before. I agree with you on the 2/1 Ratio, that is a good thing to go by, but I just though with already 2gb of RAM that seemed a bit much.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts