Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So usually it works like a charm for the first couple levels, then once loaded on the third it gives me this memory error and windows has to close it down. Then all the levels after that are like... sometimes I get lucky and it works, sometimes not. I get debugging options and a retry button but they don't do me any good.
Any suggestions are useful because I've never had this kind of problem before and it's a new compy.
Specs are below.
Once the problem happens again I will screen shot it and post here...
It's weird, I've tried overclocking before playing just to see if it'll run differently, but it actually gives me a different error, after I get purple squares popping up all over the place.
My regular team-mates are egging me to fix this problem and we play daily, so... anything that helps will be responded to post-haste!

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Sounds like unstable ram. Try running memtest, that will let you know for sure.

Also, the motherboard might not default to the correct ram voltage, compare the manufacturer spec voltage to what's set in the bios, because too little ram voltage will cause instability.

also, open steam, right-click l4d, properties, verify the cache. Some of your files could be corrupt.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by heshsess View Post
So usually it works like a charm for the first couple levels, then once loaded on the third it gives me this memory error and windows has to close it down. Then all the levels after that are like... sometimes I get lucky and it works, sometimes not. I get debugging options and a retry button but they don't do me any good.
Any suggestions are useful because I've never had this kind of problem before and it's a new compy.
Specs are below.
Once the problem happens again I will screen shot it and post here...
It's weird, I've tried overclocking before playing just to see if it'll run differently, but it actually gives me a different error, after I get purple squares popping up all over the place.
My regular team-mates are egging me to fix this problem and we play daily, so... anything that helps will be responded to post-haste!
Is your video card(s) overclocked? And is the fan working properly?
Also, does it occur with any other games you play?
If you can get a screen shot or a copy of the error you are receiving that would be helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I ran memtest I got 40 errors on 4 sweeps
wrote down the error details, but I'm also updating Vista atm
the power going to the RAM seems to be in order. Apparently I can allocate it another .05 watt but really don't want to **** with power usage just yet.
we haven't played l4d just yet today so I'll get the screen shot when we do...
and I don't overclock for l4d

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Also, does it occur with any other games you play?

It just happened in this newer game Drakensang.
And it just had to happen after 2 hours of gameplay and progress.

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by heshsess View Post
well I ran memtest I got 40 errors on 4 sweeps
wrote down the error details, but I'm also updating Vista atm
the power going to the RAM seems to be in order. Apparently I can allocate it another .05 watt but really don't want to **** with power usage just yet.
we haven't played l4d just yet today so I'll get the screen shot when we do...
and I don't overclock for l4d

It just happened in this newer game Drakensang.
And it just had to happen after 2 hours of gameplay and progress.
is it an ASSERT: Out of Memory Error? If so that has nothing to do with system ram. That's something totally isolated from that error.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Have you checked to see if your pagefile is on or off? I was running out of memory and turned out my pagefile or virtual memory was disabled. weird. I enabled it and fixed my problem. Something to check.

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts