Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kay so I installed left 4 dead demo expecting to be super excited.....

I cant see crap. My flashlight is purple.

What do I do from here?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had a similar problem where whenever I would look up to the sky the rain would turn silver and start streaking across the screen...eventually making it impossible to see anything.

I used the "Verify Game Cache" under the properties menu and it fixed that problem.

Right click the L4D demo and go to properties and then local files.

edit: Hope that helps

·
Registered
520 Posts
Do you use ATI cards or Nvidia?

My 1 rig with a GTX 260 hasn't had this problem with around 18 hours of L4D gameplay.

30 minutes on my ATI rig testing stuff out and my screen was getting purple blotches.

Other cases of this i've noticed the user was using ATI cards..

At least if such is the case, we can narrow down the potential problem.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deism View Post

My 1 rig with a GTX 260 hasn't had this problem with around 18 hours of L4D gameplay.

30 minutes on my ATI rig testing stuff out and my screen was getting purple blotches.

I've only noticed it happening on my Vista rig, My other PC with XP has no problems with L4D at all

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
i see momentary purple blotches from time to time like that, but only during loading, and serious screen tearing when the game loads sometimes, but nothing as severe as what you have, and it only lasts for a few seconds. try verifying the game cache, defragmenting it, and if worst comes to worst, backup and reinstalll the game.

latest or latest stable drivers in your rig?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quote:

What kind of cards though? I have Vista on my sig rig playing this game without any hitches.
Vista machine is 8800GTS and the XP Rig is a x800 lol

Edit: it seems everyday I'm doing the verify game cache tool on my Vista rig because theres always something new happening that isn't normal or wasn't happening before

·
QA Engineer
3,016 Posts
That usually happens to me when css doesnt load a texture corrrectly. I usually just restart the game but do what Essef said to try.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esseff View Post
Vista machine is 8800GTS and the XP Rig is a x800 lol

Edit: it seems everyday I'm doing the verify game cache tool on my Vista rig because theres always something new happening that isn't normal or wasn't happening before

Hm I thought I was able to notice a trend line, but possibly not. Still worth a shot looking at his card drivers and getting the most current/stable but that's common sense, and he's probably already done that.

Otherwise i'd just follow Esseff and Iceblades suggestions, best of luck cause it's a killer game.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
Ah yes, the dreaded Source purple checker-board. Have you been alt-tabbing?
Alt tab does not make that, it is a invalid material file. you get it alot with poorly made skins

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtypin View Post
Alt tab does not make that, it is a invalid material file. you get it alot with poorly made skins
Alt-Tab DOES cause this in certain situations. Happens all the time to my radar in CSS when I've been alt-tabbing. Usually another Alt-Tab fixes it. Try alt-tabbing really quick OP.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Quote:

Like the other guy said, alt-tabbing does cause this at times. It's actually pretty common.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esseff View Post
I had a similar problem where whenever I would look up to the sky the rain would turn silver and start streaking across the screen...eventually making it impossible to see anything.

I used the "Verify Game Cache" under the properties menu and it fixed that problem.

Right click the L4D demo and go to properties and then local files.

edit: Hope that helps

Didnt help, see attatched

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinic View Post
Dude, you are like a club on wheels!

I love how the real flashlight works too. Nothing like being in the dark parts and having JUST the flash light to see with. I forsee some serious scare-the-crap-out-of-you moments with this game.
It would be nice if my screen was clear

Quote:

NVIDIA 9600GT SLI

Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
i see momentary purple blotches from time to time like that, but only during loading, and serious screen tearing when the game loads sometimes, but nothing as severe as what you have, and it only lasts for a few seconds. try verifying the game cache, defragmenting it, and if worst comes to worst, backup and reinstalll the game.

latest or latest stable drivers in your rig?
NVIDIA 9600GT SLI, stable drivers

Quote:

What kind of cards though? I have Vista on my sig rig playing this game without any hitches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
Ah yes, the dreaded Source purple checker-board. Have you been alt-tabbing?
No

Quote:

yep

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts