Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

A state appeals court ruled this week that online threats, specifically in comments posted on the web, do not constitute protected free speech. The 2nd District court of appeals downtown ruled that a 15-year-old's case against a schoolmate who posted on the plaintiff's site that he would "rip out your ... heart and feed it to you" and "pound your head in with an ice pick" can go forward.

I'm sure everyone who leaves out a part of the title feels that they did so for the best of reasons, but mine was pragmatic: Watch your mouse adds nothing but a pun, and makes it too big for a thread title.

Source

• Rep+
Reactions: speedy2721

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Nice Rig, MrDeodorant. Would be a shame if someone took a hammer to it. Maybe we can work a deal for it's protection. Perhaps I could help...

• Rep+
Reactions: Maddoxman

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by videoman5
View Post

Nice Rig, MrDeodorant. Would be a shame if someone took a hammer to it. Maybe we can work a deal for it's protection. Perhaps I could help...

Rofl.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Um what?

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noooo! I expect to redo my entire loop within the month, as I hopefully add a DX11 card. If something were to happen to my rig... well, let's just say that it would cause me great distress, and that people under such great distress aren't always in control of their actions. Also, I will kill anyone who takes a hammer to my rig. Kill them dead. Unequivocably. None of this 'lingering in a coma' nonsense. Dead.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
This is good...it's no different than one person threatening another in person. The only difference is the semi-anonymous cowardace by the threatener.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Quote:

"rip out your ... heart and feed it to you" and "pound your head in with an ice pick"

But thats not protected by free speech...offline....right?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzt5
View Post

But thats not protected by free speech...offline....right?

Technically, no. If you were doing something to the effect of a play then yes. If its an actual verbal threat, then no its not protected. Threats are not constitutionally protected at all.

But like I said, if it is a re-enactment or something of that nature, nothing you can do about it. It would be hard to prove that you were re-enacting something if all you said was "I'm going to rip your heart out and make you eat it" unless you could prove you were quoting a movie or it was meant as a funny anecdote of some sort. Very fine line though, very fine.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So from now on, only threaten people by quoting violent movies. If you can, laugh about it afterwards. It'll confuse the issue as to whether you were joking, or actually crazy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's so frustrating to worry about what you say online, let alone what you say on the phone. Maybe people are just becoming more paranoid.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I dont see what the problem is here, you cant go around town threatening to kill people. Why should you be able to on the internet?

·
Banned
564 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylit View Post
The internet isn't America, but I also think this is horrible at the same time.
so you think people should be able to run thier mouth without any consequences at all? ok so ur obviously a spoiled little brat.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You can say threats, but if you say "I'm going to shoot you." and right after that you go buy a firearm and ammo, you could be arrested because that could be taken as you acting upon your threat. Laws are whacked. I do not think people should be able to preach threats of genocide, mass murder, or other similar events in a serious tone though. It really depends on the context though.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by not available View Post
so you think people should be able to run thier mouth without any consequences at all? ok so ur obviously a spoiled little brat.
Context.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts