Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - here is a post I have been working off of for a while on the Dell forums about this issue I've been having - since this site offers a specific area for voltage changes I thought I might see if anyone had any thoughts on this.

I've included the SPEC sheet from Dell on the computer, but that is about as specific as I can get for information about the motherboard. I know it says that the max is 2 gigs of RAM but I had no problems running 2x2gig DIMM's without the PCI-e card. I think that combination of the additional card and two DIMMs is causing the issue, so could I run a single 4gig DIMM to reduce the voltage draw?

Dell Optiplex 320

Intel E2160 (Dual-core, 64-bit)

4 gig RAM (currently 2 gig, read on...)

160 gig HD

Video: ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (integrated) Radeon X1300 256 mb PCI-e 16x slot <--where the issue started

OP System: Windows XP 64-bit

BIOS: Latest 1.1.11

Drivers: All the latest, working no errors!

So basically when I installed the 2nd Radeon card in the PCI-e slot, I discovered that my computer ran miserably slow, or wouldn't boot at all.

Dell was no help, they though my motherboard was "bad". So they replaced it per warranty, which made no difference.

Finally someone suggested I try it with just one of the two, 2gig DIMMs I had installed, and it worked perfect: NO ISSUES except I no longer have my 4 gig of memory (which would help me a lot in some cases: ie. games)

Since I didn't have this issue prior to installing the PCI-e card, and was able to run both memory DIMMs I believe it has something to do with the way the system BIOS allocates resources between the RAM and the PCI-video bridge! Ideas, fixes, all will be considered!

Thanks!

From Dell:

Memory

Type

533- or 667-MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Memory connectors

two

Memory modules supported

256-MB, 512-MB, or 1-GB non-ECC

Minimum memory

256 MB

Maximum memory

2 GB

BIOS address

F0000h

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Sound like PSU?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the specs on the power supply--

Power

DC power supply:

Wattage

305 W

Heat dissipation

1041 BTU/hr

NOTE: Heat dissipation is calculated based upon the power supply rating.

Voltage

90 to 135 V at 60 Hz; 180 to 264 V at 50 Hz

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the DIMMs are both Kingston KVR667D2/2GR @ 1.8V

Kingston also makes a KVR667D2Q8P5/4G @ 1.8V

which I'm thinking about trying...

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jebaucke View Post
Hello - here is a post I have been working off of for a while on the Dell forums about this issue I've been having - since this site offers a specific area for voltage changes I thought I might see if anyone had any thoughts on this.

I've included the SPEC sheet from Dell on the computer, but that is about as specific as I can get for information about the motherboard. I know it says that the max is 2 gigs of RAM but I had no problems running 2x2gig DIMM's without the PCI-e card. I think that combination of the additional card and two DIMMs is causing the issue, so could I run a single 4gig DIMM to reduce the voltage draw?

Dell Optiplex 320

Intel E2160 (Dual-core, 64-bit)

4 gig RAM (currently 2 gig, read on...)

160 gig HD

Video: ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (integrated) Radeon X1300 256 mb PCI-e 16x slot <--where the issue started

OP System: Windows XP 64-bit

BIOS: Latest 1.1.11

Drivers: All the latest, working no errors!

So basically when I installed the 2nd Radeon card in the PCI-e slot, I discovered that my computer ran miserably slow, or wouldn't boot at all.

Dell was no help, they though my motherboard was "bad". So they replaced it per warranty, which made no difference.

Finally someone suggested I try it with just one of the two, 2gig DIMMs I had installed, and it worked perfect: NO ISSUES except I no longer have my 4 gig of memory (which would help me a lot in some cases: ie. games)

Since I didn't have this issue prior to installing the PCI-e card, and was able to run both memory DIMMs I believe it has something to do with the way the system BIOS allocates resources between the RAM and the PCI-video bridge! Ideas, fixes, all will be considered!

Thanks!

From Dell:

Memory

Type

533- or 667-MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Memory connectors

two

Memory modules supported

256-MB, 512-MB, or 1-GB non-ECC

Minimum memory

256 MB

Maximum memory

2 GB

BIOS address

F0000h

That card has hypermemory 2 and could be trying to expand the ram available to it through your system ram. The problem we have here is that your system ram is using a controller that doesn't support dual channel ram. Since it's a 128 bit processor it wants to have 2 banks of ddr2 to play with. So it's not going to work right I don't know if you can get a 4gb module or not and it's likely your northbridge wouldn't even know how to use it. So it would just error out or cut the module up into 1gb or 2gb of address. I'd try a higher end video card that might work but it will be risky so have to buy local so you can take it back if it doesn't work. Just make sure the card won't try to expand it's ram into your system ram.

·
Registered
1 Posts
jebaucke,

Did you ever come up with a solution to this?

I am coming across a similar issue with the Optiplex 320, but I guess it is the same cause.

- 2 x 2GB sticks of RAM with PCIe GFX (GF 9500 GT, in my case) card would not work correctly under both Windows XP 32bit and Windows 7 64bit Beta and I would get the following message in device manager under the cards properties "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (code 12). If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."
- 1 x 2GB stick of RAM with PCIe GFX all working sweet, 'cept I don't have the extra 2GB. (Didn't test this under Windows 7 yet as I blew it away trying to get this system running)

I am really tempted to buy another Power Supply but 1/ need to find one that will fit 2/ need to know it will help at all. I already spent money on a stick of RAM that looks like it is going to gather some dust instead. =)

Any info on how you went would rock.

-eZZ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me save you some time...its not your power adapter...I went down that route and upgraded to a BFG 450W ATX GS series power supply same prob...

My end conclusion from reviewing postings all day and installing drivers, hardware (new video cards, power supplies) etc....is that this is a flawed Dell design. I'll find the closest I can get to an upgraded machine...probably 1 2GB DIMM and try to recover for all the lost time from work trying to solve this. Below are some of the things I tried and got no where with...hopefully it will save you all some time.

1) After installing 4gb of ram in both dimm slots, the graphics drivers were gone on the system...Crucial thought the drivers got clobbered,

1a) So I chased down the graphics drivers. Installing was not possible as the graphics card was not recognized...Installing the drivers from Nvidia provied the error "NVidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with yourcurrent hardware."

1b) I noticed that the Display Adapters in the Device Manager listing was missing. (bad sign)

1c) BFG (Nvidia reseller) said it was the power supply, the extra memory was preventing enough juice to getting to my graphics card...$70, 2hours, and an additional 150W later, I had a 450W prower supply installed. No dice....same errors.

1d) Tried another graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4670) ...still not a working...but in worse ways, could not even get to the login screen

2) Online I found postings from some people were having similar problems ("Display Adapters" missing from Device Manager) with different computer systems. They solved it via reinstalling the chipset. Found the chipset on Dell's site...installed...no dice...same problem persists.

3) Switched the old memory back in...viola! it works again.

Still looking for exactly the problem...can the Optiplex not handle 2 Dimms? 2 Dimms that add up to 4GB, or 4GB?

-Michael

My Relevant Specs:

Optiplex 320
XP PRO SP3
GeForce 9400 GT 512 MB
1 GB RAM 1DIMM (trying to upgrade to 4GB RAM 2DIMMS)
[Edit Tags]

·
Still kinda lost
3,408 Posts
i am an optiplex 320 user that is very sad

i want to install a 4gb ram ati 5xxx hd and overclock my cpu and instal 15,000rpm hdd for max prof but i cant install 4gb with the pci slot so have any 1 tried to instal 1 4gb chip in slot will it work ?????? plz some 1 try

1 - 13 of 13 Posts