Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
For a moment, I thought this was FINALLY something to rectify that disastrous 1 dollar = 1 euro idea.

It isn’t, but it’s actually pretty interesting.

Valve have just launched the Steam Wallet Beta.

Steam Wallet is a new Steamworks feature that allows you to directly put money from your credit/debit card to the Steam Wallet...
Small article but tad more info at the link, Also a link to the original forum post on there too.

Delete If repost, Done a search and couldn't see it

http://lambdageneration.com/posts/st...beta-released/

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Hmm idk how this differs from just using paypall or your card every time you buy a game? I know why they did it, so they can collect interest while the money you put in sits there but I don't see its use.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD_J View Post
Hmm idk how this differs from just using paypall or your card every time you buy a game? I know why they did it, so they can collect interest while the money you put in sits there but I don't see its use.
lets say your a teenager like me, and you buy a 50$ throw away visa, instead of only being able to use 45 and than the other 5 being wasted you can drop the 5 in to be used later

·
Pink Freud
2,694 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDProb View Post
lets say your a teenager like me, and you buy a 50$ throw away visa, instead of only being able to use 45 and than the other 5 being wasted you can drop the 5 in to be used later
That's the good part for the client.
Valve will have money in their account for investing, and the client is also going to "trade" money - This will give the client a feel that he still has $50,00, but in reality, he has made a purchase.
Paying for a product is different... you stop to think if you really want/need that, and sometimes you give up.

It might sound like it makes hardly no difference at all, but it ends up being a big deal for valve. Of course the client also wins, because of those $5,00.

Money on the move is good for everybody.
Money stuck isn't good for anybody

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cypher\his View Post
unless this is valve laying the groundwork for selling your games to other members in the future i could really care less
You mean you couldn't care less.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You mean you couldn't care less.
lol, btw marin, play tf2 more! the guys miss you!

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDProb View Post
lol, btw marin, play tf2 more! the guys miss you!
Schools been getting in the way. I'll try to play in the future.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hmm, would it be possible to Gift money to someone elses wallet? Sort of like a voucher.

The only problem with Steam gift system is sometimes you don't want to give a specific game to a friend. I'd rather give them like a digital voucher so that they can spend it on any game they want.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm sticking to my debit card until this thing has at least a PIN and password.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laten View Post
Hmm, would it be possible to Gift money to someone elses wallet? Sort of like a voucher.
As of now, no. The article claimed Steam Wallet money was non-transferable.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Why must the article remind me that $1 = 1€ on Steam?! :C

EDIT:
On-topic:
Would have no use for this "feature" at all.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
I wonder what happens with the money in the Wallet if you get VAC banned?

·
B.O.W
26,977 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakazi
View Post

I wonder what happens with the money in the Wallet if you get VAC banned?

getting VAC banned does nothing other than prevent you from playing on VAC servers.

you mean your entire account banned.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28
View Post

getting VAC banned does nothing other than prevent you from playing on VAC servers.

you mean your entire account banned.

Getting VAC banned also makes it so you can't purchase from the Steam store. My friend was VAC banned from MW2 and was no longer able to make purchases. It denied his card every time. He had to switch credit cards in order to make new purchases.

As I said though, it was his credit card. I'd imagine they couldn't do it with your wallet if there was money in there, unless they gave you a refund, then blocked your wallet.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cypher\his View Post
unless this is valve laying the groundwork for selling your games to other members in the future i could really care less
I agree.

Steam is an excellent concept, but they NEED to put a way to sell your unwanted games on there.

I have two or three games right now that I bought because of hype and I now NEVER play them. I cant sell them though cause they are locked to my account.

If they can incorporate this into the wallet idea, that would be fantastic.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lardo5150
View Post

I agree.

Steam is an excellent concept, but they NEED to put a way to sell your unwanted games on there.

I have two or three games right now that I bought because of hype and I now NEVER play them. I cant sell them though cause they are locked to my account.

If they can incorporate this into the wallet idea, that would be fantastic.

You do realize that used game sales = no profit for the developer or publisher right? You think you'll be able to sell physical copies of games coming out in 5 years from now? This I feel is the future. Quite honestly... I would do the exact same thing if it was MY game on the market. Remember, games, just like a movie or your dishwasher are made to make money, not simply to please you.

NOW that said... I'd love having the wallet thing because it might open up STEAM gift cards in stores possibly

1 - 20 of 48 Posts