Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to build a Lan Party Server, which AMD cpu will be my best bet, and are there any dual chippys out for AMD. Sorry if I sound newb, but I'm usually with intel and im new to AMD.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitro

Want to build a Lan Party Server, which AMD cpu will be my best bet, and are there any dual chippys out for AMD. Sorry if I sound newb, but I'm usually with intel and im new to AMD.

Opteron = AMD's dual chips.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grati.

Also, would linux be a better bet if I was going to do on the comp was host game servers. i.e. Call of Duty Battlefield Tribes Unreal.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Grati.

Also, would linux be a better bet if I was going to do on the comp was host game servers. i.e. Call of Duty Battlefield Tribes Unreal.

No No...Windows man Windows.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

No No.......I am using an AMD 1300mhz CPU in an old PC100 board with 400megs of PC100 and I've been told by our allies in Florida that I have one of the smoothest servers they play on ,hence why they are our allies lol (I'm in Nova Scotia)Lan Party?????You definatly don't need to buy new gear,just find or ugrade old gear for sure man ask my clan mates!!! www.dfa.suxspeirs.com

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
amd is definatly the best choice for a game server. the quality of the server really depends on the types of games that you plan to use.

for games like CS, a 500mhz system would run great.

for DOD, which put alot of strain on your proc, 2+ghz is a good idea.

As for dual processors, opteron is the most effective of every server chip, but also the most expensive.

You can use MP chips which are the same price as the XP's. BUT since AMD isnt making any MP chips anymore as of a few months ago, you can simply use two XP's (depending on the mobo you may have to mod them)

MP System:
Tyan MPX
2x Mobile XP 2500+

1 - 8 of 8 Posts