Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive read all over the forums about people lapping. so i thought id give it a shot since theres a auto zone literally across the street.

heres some pics, your input is more than welcome


heres my first attempt on my cpu (320>400>600>800>1000>1500>2000)


as you can see the reflection is not clear, i did the lapping pretty fast. didnt pay attention to reflection.

i fixed it today and redid grits 1000>1500>2000




i also lapped my zalman 9700. it didnt end up that good though. ill relap tomorrow during the day.




and here is a screen shot of my temps. the CPU floats from 54C to 60C.
SCREENSHOT

e6600 @ 3.6ghz w/ 1.4215v (1.38v after droop)

before the lap the CPU temp would be above 60, usually around 63-65C. and the cores wouldve been in the high 60s.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
why does everyone have to come up with a word to describe any mildly lengthy process of doing anything on a computer? speak clearly. slang is annoying
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
So what your temperature on TAT before you lap and after lapped? How much $$ did lapping cost ya and do you think it was worth it? How long does it usually take for a perfect lapped cpu? Can you show me the way (website) to begin if i decided to lap my cpu? lol Sorry if i asked too many questions...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,891 Posts
Quote:


why does everyone have to come up with a word to describe any mildly lengthy process of doing anything on a computer? speak clearly. slang is annoying

what are you talking about, if your refuring to lapping which i hope your not because that term has been used since long before computers (the electric ones we refer to as computers today) even exhisted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by tuanming
View Post

So what your temperature on TAT before you lap and after lapped? How much $$ did lapping cost ya and do you think it was worth it? How long does it usually take for a perfect lapped cpu? Can you show me the way (website) to begin if i decided to lap my cpu? lol Sorry if i asked too many questions...

lol its alright

1) i bought a pack of assorted sand paper (320, 400, 600, 800), and packs of 1000(5 sheets), 1500(5 sheets), and 2000(5 sheets)...total came about $15. it wouldve been worth it if i just bought the paper @ www.easypckits.com (thats just my opinion)

2) for a CPU it usually takes about 2 hours (unless your like me and put a lot of pressur and moved it fast)

3) http://www.overclock.net/faqs/15897-...-p4s-a64s.html

and remember GOOGLE is your friend
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i thought it was still on the warm side. i dont know why its still so high. first off i thought my cpu and hsf was concave. but i was wrong, it was really flat.

i put a X across the HSF base and when i started sanding it dissappeared evenly. and i just resat it too. im going to buy some AS5 and pray that my temps drop. im using that super thermal grease that was provided by zalman. i did some research and it said that its equal to if not better than AS5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Are those temps for 3.72Ghz? Because if so, they don't seem that unreasonable, especially for a Zalman. I mean, that's a 55% OC on air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the temps are for 3.6ghz. its still a 50% OC. but what i dont understand is that people have their vcore around 1.4v on the zalman and theyre getting temps of mid 50C. im on 1.4v and getting 60C.

i guess im sacrificing heat for having a good chip. people arent even close to being stable @ 3.6ghz with a 1.4vcore. =/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the reason i dont really mind the temps being in the 60s is because thats under TAT stressing. everyone (or the majority) says that TAT stresses the CPU like no other program, and i dont use any hardcore programs that require so much power from the CPU. with gaming my temps maxed out under 50C before i lapped. so i really dont have anything to worry about
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxpinoyxx View Post
the reason i dont really mind the temps being in the 60s is because thats under TAT stressing. everyone (or the majority) says that TAT stresses the CPU like no other program, and i dont use any hardcore programs that require so much power from the CPU. with gaming my temps maxed out under 50C before i lapped. so i really dont have anything to worry about

I agree, at the same speed, with higher voltages, I get 64C on tat, but dual prime gives me load temps of 56C, huge difference in the stress of each program it seems...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MADMAX22
View Post

what are you talking about, if your refuring to lapping which i hope your not because that term has been used since long before computers (the electric ones we refer to as computers today) even exhisted

how so? it seems to be he is calling polishing the heat transfer surface lapping. which is stupid. if thats not what he is referring to, then what?
 

·
Overclocking since 1998
Joined
·
931 Posts
"Lapping" is a term that has been used by gem cutters and machinists for a long time. Not sure why it has your panties in a bunch. Polishing and lapping are both correct terms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by briank
View Post

"Lapping" is a term that has been used by gem cutters and machinists for a long time. Not sure why it has your panties in a bunch. Polishing and lapping are both correct terms.


True, the the terms ARE technically different. Lapping involves material removal, while polishing CAN remove material but is typically indicative of less invasive methods. Polishing will typically not change the essential thickness of the material the way that lapping might. It will also include a subset of polishing methods, such as burnishing, etc.


David
[email protected]
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top