Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally built up the courage to lap my q6600. i also lapped my Thermalright Ultra-120. The result worry me abit. my temps have dropped but my 4th core seems to be 8c cooler. does this mean i need to do some more sanding. i also lost my AS5 so im using stock paste that came with my Thermalright. could that have anything to do with it. i'v not checked load temps yet, i wanna make sure everything is sweet before hammering my cpu. my current idle temps are 24/23/24/16
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cold_turkey
View Post

I finally built up the courage to lap my q6600. i also lapped my Thermalright Ultra-120. The result worry me abit. my temps have dropped but my 4th core seems to be 8c cooler. does this mean i need to do some more sanding. i also lost my AS5 so im using stock paste that came with my Thermalright. could that have anything to do with it. i'v not checked load temps yet, i wanna make sure everything is sweet before hammering my cpu. my current idle temps are 24/23/24/16
Thanks

what are you reading temps with?
and whats your room temp?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was using Core Temp 0.95. room temp was normal. i'v since relapped my processor and my 4th core is only 2c off now. im gonna try out prime95 at 3.2 and see what happens. that stock paste might effect the results some. i'll test them both when i get some AS5.

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
i dont think they core 1 and core 3 are running full speed, open everest or speed fan and make sure all acores are running full speed

·
Registered
310 Posts
Remember to use the latest version of coretemp (which I think is 0.95.4).

.95 doesnt read G0 temperatures accurately if I remember right. Also, you shouldnt be applying too much thermal paste, try following AS5's method for quad cores.

Also, is what did you lap your cpu on? Glass? If you did not lap it on a flat surface, then it still may not be perfectly flat. You should get something straight like a razor blade, or a ruler and put it over the cpu. Then see if it lies flat on the cpu, or if there are any gaps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yah i lapped it on glass. looks like a brass mirror, same with the HS. i didnt realize how long it takes lol
i just dl 0.95.4
I had a look in Everest Skullzaflare and all the cores seem to be running at full speed. i only had prime on for 5min. i'll have a look at my cpu & HS in a minute and make sure everything is perfect.
Here was a screenshot before i ran prime
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...beforetest.jpg
normal room temp, but core 0 seems to be 2c hotter then yesterday before i took off my heatsink. hmm! i'll post back when i make some progress

1 - 7 of 7 Posts