Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read about how to do this with a copper mine or tulatan core but what about removing an ihs and lapping the dye of modern cpu? i smell like smoke

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i've read that for the older pentium 3's you can do it because they have some sort of non conductive material to protect the dye. this can be thinned and smoothed by lapping but is obviously very dangerous. if i had a 478 mobo i'd test it with a pentium 4 i have lying around.

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
It does NOT work, I promise
I killed a couple old P4's by doing this to them.
The die's nowadays don't need this anyway, they are EXTREMELY flat already and even if you removed the entire layer of non-conductive material you would not even get a 1* drop. I am addicted to lapping, and can vouch for the benefits of removing the IHS, but what you are suggesting really is suicide for your chip. And a pointless suicide at that.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mashersmasher View Post
well i've read that for the older pentium 3's you can do it because they have some sort of non conductive material to protect the dye. this can be thinned and smoothed by lapping but is obviously very dangerous. if i had a 478 mobo i'd test it with a pentium 4 i have lying around.
That's just doesn't make sense. Just think for about .5s. Why would a CPU be coated with a non-conductive material? Reallly, think. Think!!!!!! If it was a thermally non-conductive material, it would make the HSF about 80-90% less efficent. Then temps would be higher and stock clocks would have to be lower. I would think some engineer would realize that they could get a 20-30% clock by using different material.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
i can attempt it on my sempron 2200+ if you guys want?
I'm gonna skip straight to 2000grit though.
do you guys want me to?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
We use to lap to remove the polyester resin that covered the CPU core in the day...
Tricky to do and easy to destroy the unit!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaRaDoX
View Post

now, lap your video card die.

I think that's a ******ed idea
is it a good idea??

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid
View Post

No...I like you. Destroy something else...

like...?
LOL
well if I don't sell my sempron, I'm gonna try to lap the die. that is if I can get the stupid stock hs/f off!

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,848 Posts
Quad post?

Jesus man. -_-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts