Overclock.net banner

Lapping questions

636 11
Hey i am using a q9550 and an ifx-14 and wondering if i lap both what kind of temp reduction im looking at roughly (if you dont know for an ifx-14 just say for a TRUE because they are quite similar in temps)
thanks
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would you personally say that it is worth lapping then? or would you suggest just going watercooling (i know what to get if i do go watercooling) i thought that lapping would make more of a difference but if its so small i might as well go watercooling and prolong the life of my chip, its at 62c max load if you have any idea how long that might last :S
 

·
STG3 VET
Joined
·
13,284 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by NAM_killer
View Post

would you personally say that it is worth lapping then? or would you suggest just going watercooling (i know what to get if i do go watercooling) i thought that lapping would make more of a difference but if its so small i might as well go watercooling and prolong the life of my chip, its at 62c max load if you have any idea how long that might last :S

If you are really into overclocking go water cooling.
I would get something like this
feser triple rad
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/fex360mmxtpe.html

mcp655 pump http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCP...r-pr-3803.html
64.94

Apogee Gtz cooler http://www.coolerguys.com/840556087564.html
59.95
Different types or reservoirs
http://www.crazypc.com/products/wate...eservoirs.html
20 to 53.00

tubing http://www.crazypc.com/products/masterkleer-93240.html

clamps
http://www.jab-tech.com/Clamps-c-336.html

http://www.jab-tech.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
120mm yate loon fans

or get this kit instead
http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-H20...t-pr-4324.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by x2s3w4
View Post

There is no way to tell how much your temps will differ because we don't know how flat your CPU or HSF is. If both are already pretty flat you won't get much change in temps. If 1 or both aren't flat you might get as much as 10°c difference. Or somewhere in between.

Well-spoken! I've had a 10C difference after fixing a bad seating and lapping. After lapping, thermal paste application needs a lighter hand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right then, ill lap and then if im not satisfied ill go watercooling, cant hurt right? already vioded the cpu warranty by ocing it and itll only help if i need to go water cause the gtz is pre lapped
both the q9550 and the ifx are domed, thermalright really do a rubbish job on their heatsink bases >< any T.R.U.E. owner will agree lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,792 Posts
HI fellas, sorry to hijack the thread but i couldnt help noticing you mentioned that the swiftech Apogee Gtz comes pre lapped? so I should bother lapping mine when i install it in my system right? I already lapped my CPU and it shaved off about 5c under load.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Nevaziah
View Post

HI fellas, sorry to hijack the thread but i couldnt help noticing you mentioned that the swiftech Apogee Gtz comes pre lapped? so I should bother lapping mine when i install it in my system right? I already lapped my CPU and it shaved off about 5c under load.

if i remember right the gtz even has a mirror finish so you wont need to touch it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by NAM_killer
View Post

right then, ill lap and then if im not satisfied ill go watercooling, cant hurt right? already vioded the cpu warranty by ocing it and itll only help if i need to go water cause the gtz is pre lapped
both the q9550 and the ifx are domed, thermalright really do a rubbish job on their heatsink bases >< any T.R.U.E. owner will agree lol

Well its pretty hard for Intel to figure out that you overclocked it. You'd have to fry it with ridiculous temperatures or something.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top