Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like, I don't mean to be your fathers boyfriend; but what in the world does Lapping mean?

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
it's taking sandpaper to either a heatsink or processor to flatten them, thus creating better contact/heat transfer.

most processors and heatsinks are either concave or convex, creating tiny air pockets which will result in inefficiencies with cooling.
this is why we have thermal paste, it fills in those air pockets.

Lapping will create a flatter surface to minimize those air pockets and thus giving you better cooling capabilities.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFFY
View Post

please go and use the forums search feature.

Searching functions are blocked by my offices' firewall, and everything else I found was on youtube; again blocked.

Thanks for all the replies though; I just ordered my Ultra120+an extra fan holder. Hope it keeps my 4Ghz OC cool

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Should also be noted that it will indeed void your warranty.

I'm so tempted to do this with my old e6600 too...heh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got done watching about 4 guides on youtube (at home obviously), seems easy enough. I'll definitely be doing this on my true/i7 920 when they come in.

One of the guides mentioned using Turtle Wax to get that polished surface. Is that necessary and how would I go about doing that. I cant find a good guide

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
sandpaper is used to "lap" a CPU and Heatsink to make it nice and shiny. The main reason for lapping,with sandpaper, is to increase the thermal conductivity between the CPU and the Cooler. i have seen people get 10 degrees difference when lapping CPU and heatsinks. use good thermal paste too like AS5. good luck.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Just use 2000/2500 grit paper... you'll get the finish without using something questionable on your processor. Oh, and you can use IC Diamond 7 to do a final polish. That's what I used... Now I have temps around 25c idle

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
how do you know when the lapping is fully done and does not need any more work done to it? are they any risks? these are the main thing have have to be though about when lapping. also you need to make sure the cpu is level on top after sanding down lol.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzi
View Post

Just got done watching about 4 guides on youtube (at home obviously), seems easy enough. I'll definitely be doing this on my true/i7 920 when they come in.

One of the guides mentioned using Turtle Wax to get that polished surface. Is that necessary and how would I go about doing that. I cant find a good guide

i think it should be mentioned that cpu lapping is not very effective and not worth voiding your warranty.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yabo
View Post

Just use 2000/2500 grit paper... you'll get the finish without using something questionable on your processor. Oh, and you can use IC Diamond 7 to do a final polish. That's what I used... Now I have temps around 25c idle

+1 to the IC7 polish. That's really the best way to get a perfect shine without leaving a residue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbie1911
View Post

i think it should be mentioned that cpu lapping is not very effective and not worth voiding your warranty.

Usually the CPU IHS is more uneven than the base of the heatsink. I lapped mine and dropped the temps about 5C across the board, and honestly, does anyone actually have to RMA a CPU? They don't just...go bad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I just finished watching the cpu lapping guide by tjharlow, he started at 200 all the way up to 2500, gave it a nice polish finish without the use of any sort of polishing agent.

Cant wait to try it out

edit: was actually 600-2000

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyW
View Post

sandpaper is used to "lap" a CPU and Heatsink to make it nice and shiny. The main reason for lapping,with sandpaper, is to increase the thermal conductivity between the CPU and the Cooler. i have seen people get 10 degrees difference when lapping CPU and heatsinks. use good thermal paste too like AS5. good luck.

Very no. Very no indeed.

Shiny does not = heat transfer. Flat surfaces = heat transfer. Shiny is more an aesthetic thing, if anything. In all honesty it can prevent mini air pockets which of course reduce contact, but shiny isn't absolutely necessary. Flat is.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newbie1911
View Post

On the contrary, the last 2 heatsinks i bought were flat, as was my waterblock. My processor IHS had a nice bow to it. I'd say more often than not it's the IHS that needs to be lapped from my experience.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

+1 to the IC7 polish. That's really the best way to get a perfect shine without leaving a residue.

Polish right, and there isn't anymore residue to worry about.

The added benefit is the surface is so smooth TIM removal is a breeze.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Here is excellent kit that I highly recommend.

Even though with shipping it comes to $19.00, you will save yourself the time of finding the correct grits. This kit includes: 400, 600, 800, 1000, 40 micron,25 micron, 20 micron, 15 micron, 10 micron.

I wouldn't recommend the TIM though, get yourself some AS5 for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFFY View Post
please go and use the forums search feature.
Why would you say something like this? This is OCN, we help people. If you didn't want to help, you shouldn't have replied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yabo View Post
Very no. Very no indeed.

Shiny does not = heat transfer. Flat surfaces = heat transfer. Shiny is more an aesthetic thing, if anything. In all honesty it can prevent mini air pockets which of course reduce contact, but shiny isn't absolutely necessary. Flat is.
I here this line of reasoning a lot. It's true,but incomplete. A shinier surface actually indicates that the surface is flatter.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
I made this post in response to someone else's lapping questions. Check it out.

In addition to that, make sure you have a flat surface to lap on before you start. I use a piece of glass, and tape the sandpaper down to it.

And I wouldn't really worry about about damaging your CPU. I've never seen anyone ruin a CPU from lapping. As long as you take the necessary precautions (like covering the back of the CPU), and clean it off with some alcohol afterwords, I believe the odds of you causing permanent damage to your CPU are slim to nill. But yes, it does void the warranty.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newbie1911 View Post
Not very effective? My Q6600's IHS corners were so much more raised up than the center of the chip, so much that the corners dented in two of my heatpipes!!
And that is using a crappy mounting system that is not bolt through and provides little pressure on the IHS.

So IMO lapping is well worth preventing physical damage to my CPU cooler, not to mention the lower temps.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts