Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to finally put together my new setup
just waiting on tiger to deliver my graphics card.

However, newegg delivered everything else yesterday. I was thinking of using the time to lap my cooler, but I was wondering as to the worth. I don't want to lap my processor (something about sanding my processor doesn't seem right) so is there any good reason to lap my cooler? Also, the reviews say that my cooler (sunbeam core contact) is intentionally ridged on the bottom, should I sand out the ridging, if it's there on purpose? Finally, what's the benifit, is it really that much?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Basically, the flatter the base of your heatsink is, the more contact it can make on your CPU, (assuming it too is flat) and the better it will cool the CPU. Improvement will vary depending on how convex or concave the base was originally. Usually you'll see at least a couple degrees improvement, if not more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firestormcomputers
View Post

You can see up to a 10c drop in load temperatures on average by lapping your heatsink.

That would have to be a seriously warped base to have that big of an improvement. In no way is 10C the average.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletcher Carnaby View Post
Lapping exposed heatpipes might be a bad idea.

Sorry the pict is so small...

Lapping? Looks more like grinding.. lol

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Make sure you do research on your cooler though. There are specific coolers out there that actually do worse once lapped. The Megahalems is such an example, as the base is engineered by Prolimatech to match the curvature of the IHS of a chip. Lapping either the chip or the heatsink ruins the matched shape between the two, leading to poorer performance.

• Rep+
Reactions: E_man

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses everybody!

I doubt that my cooler was engineered like the megahalems (Core cotact freezer from sunbeam, good cooler for the price it looks like, better than stock at least
)

I'll definitly have to be careful not to do that to my cooler, wow!! Looks like some heavy sanding, lol

If I can get 2-5 degrees, that'd be great!

One more question, I'll be using IC diamond 7, what's the best way to put it on? I've seen people say one ~7mm blob in center, or 2 lines about 1/3 of the way across the cpu?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I would just leave the cooler as is and not lap it. Lapping an HDT cooler is pointless. The copper pipes are soft and will "settle" into the specific shape of your CPU's IHS upon first contact anyways.
As for IC7 application, just do thin lines along the copper heatpipes of your CCF and the pressure and heat will spread the IC7 evenly.

• Rep+
Reactions: E_man

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's interesting, could save me some work

thanks for the info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts