Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the family has a Gateway laptop that has had some serious power problems over the past year. When plugged into the AC adapter, the power cuts in and out. A pink like is supposed to glow when the battery is charging; the pink like flashes a couple times every couple seconds, and when it does flash, you can hear a little "zzzzzzzz" sound. This has been going on for a long time, and eventually the laptop refused to power up. When we took it to a repair shop, they said that it was a bad solder joint, and luckily they were able to fix it.

My question is... do you guys think the problem is with the AC adapter and not the laptop itself? Do you think the power cutting in and out is likely to break the solder joint again?

Also, I have another AC adapter for a different laptop around here. Could I use that one to see if the problem is in the AC adapter and not the laptop?

Standard AC Adapter (Gateway):
Input: 100-240V~, 50-60Hz 1.7A (1,7A)
Output: 19V --- 3.42A (3,42A)

Other AC Adapter (Toshiba):

Input: 100-240V ~ 50-60 Hz 1.5A (1,5A)
Output: 19V --- 3.95A (3,95A)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451
View Post

I would use the other adapter just to make sure

If it is go here.
www.igo.com
makes ac power adapter with the tips for the laptop you need.

I would like to... but I don't know if it's safe. I don't want to fry anything.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
To put you at ease. I find your speculation and concern as to the adapter causing a solder failure at this point based on the information to be unfounded.

My thoughts are what is the stress that caused this? I mean what is your working theory on the causal relationship?

That adapter should work if connection physically fits. Confirm the -/+ (polarity) is the same not reversed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts