Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to use an old laptop adapter to power a fan. Just something to do.

But when I cut it open there were no colored wires. It was basically the outer black shell, then inside that was one wire it was using as a shell, then another white shell, then the inner most wire as the core.

Which wire is the ground, the core or the outer wire?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Is there a line on one of the wires and a dashed line on another, one of them is ground one is +, I just don't remember which one.

The core should be ground if its bare.

This should be helpful to you. http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_7.htm (I mean the pictures to help explain)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Solder a wire to the side of a light bulb's metal base (or even better, an LED or bulb from a flashlight) and clip the other end of that wire to something grounded.

Plug in your laptop adapter, and touch one wire at a time to the bottom of the light bulb. The one that makes it glow is +.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Do you have a multimeter? The LED trick will probably blow the LED, the bulb might have a significantly shorted lifespan.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masters View Post
No I don't have anything like that. Is there no way to tell?

It's just the outer black covering, then bare wire going all the way around a white inner covering, then the core.
You can find cheap multimeters for less then 10 bucks in the US. Grab one of those and it will be useful for many things, especially if you are tinkering with electronics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts