Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought myself this Acer Aspire 6530 for Xmas and glad I did. It provides me with some entertainment while I recuperate with this broken leg. My question is this, is it bad to not use battery power very often, it is plugged in 99% of the time. Will that shorten the batterys life? I know they are expensive so I don't want to have to buy one in case I do have to rely on it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
You need to dicharge your battery to about 10% at once every 3 weeks at the very least....Don;t discharge it all the way, just down to about 10%.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
no its a myth that batteries overcharge or anything, lithium ion doesnt hold a memory charge or anything, in fact the more you discharge and cycle the lesser the life becomes, just use it like you would a computer.

ive been using different laptops for 5 years and batteries are the least of your worries

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lokster
View Post

no its a myth that batteries overcharge or anything, lithium ion doesnt hold a memory charge or anything, in fact the more you discharge and cycle the lesser the life becomes, just use it like you would a computer.

That's correct.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sorry to hear about your leg buddy
.....it will get better though fast...I am keeping good thoughts for ya

Anyhow....not sure if this will add fuel to the fire or not but the folks that I purchased my laptop replacement battery from have this to say about their batteries.

Battery FAQ

I am in a similar situation as you are....I leave it plugged in 99% of the time as well.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guttboy
View Post

Sorry to hear about your leg buddy
.....it will get better though fast...I am keeping good thoughts for ya

Anyhow....not sure if this will add fuel to the fire or not but the folks that I purchased my laptop replacement battery from have this to say about their batteries.

Battery FAQ

I am in a similar situation as you are....I leave it plugged in 99% of the time as well.

Thanks, good FAQ

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
lokster and Acreo have it correct. Guttboy has a good link.

Li-Ion batts do not suffer "memory effect" so it is OK to do a partial discharge. There are safety circuits that prevent a full discharge. Other than long term storage you cannot do a full discharge that will damage your batt. Heat is your main enemy for your batts life. So keeping in does theoretically shorten it's life. I like you have mine plugged in 90% of the time and don't worry about it. Here is a link that has more than you ever wanted to know about batts, link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts