Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have owned this laptop for around 2 years and recently (a few months ago to now) it has been giving me problems.

It sometimes has a collection of 5(ish) loud clicks within around 3 seconds and clicks quietly around twice every 2 seconds but the clicks are close together.

Some of my applications freeze too such as FireFox, Windows Live Messenger and I get a lot of flash errors.

Are they caused by a bad HDD? SMART shows status is ok.

Should I replace the hard drive ASAP?

Thanks

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,922 Posts
That all depends on what it really is. It could be normal, or it could be dying. Here are two videos that I found on YouTube a few months ago that may help you figure out whether or not your hard drive is dying:
If for some reason the performance is slow, then right-cilck on the video itself, then choose "Settings...". Then click on the tab on the bottom that looks like a folder and move the slider all the way to the right and then click Close.

• Rep+
Reactions: Daney

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TwoCables; great help!

To be honest, it sounds more like the working version than dying, I never realised they were supposed to operate with that much clicking.

+rep

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,922 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daney
View Post

Thanks TwoCables; great help!

To be honest, it sounds more like the working version than dying, I never realised they were supposed to operate with that much clicking.

+rep

Whew. But I'm still confused as to why it's freezing up sometimes. Perhaps it's just in need of being defragmented. Perhaps IObit's Smart Defrag can help. I have tried almost all of them, and this one has worked the best for me.

Do the Deep Optimize. If it misses some fragments, then you can just run it again right as soon as its finished, and then it should catch the ones it couldn't before. Defraggers will do this sometimes, but running it a 2nd or third time always works.

Oh, and if you use Smart Defrag, be sure to uncheck every single checkbox that you can find throughout its options. None of those things are needed whatsoever. This is regarding Auto Defrag, Schedule, and Options.

If defragmenting doesn't work, then perhaps a reformat is in order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts