Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I just found out that the CPU can be replaced on a laptop? Are their any issues? I know you can change the GPU but would you need the drivers to support the laptop?

Was thinking about buying a lappy
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
There is no generalized statements when concerning laptops. Some, if not most (consumer) CPU/GPU/RAM are soldered in

Some have Chipset limitations and cant upgrade to a quad core CPU.

Some cant upgrade to 1TB HDD's because of size limitations.

It all starts with what laptop your looking at, then finding out from there what you can do with it via traditional methods or through a modified BIOS

·
Registered
155 Posts
CPU can be replaced as long as the existing one is socketed (not soldered) and the one you upgrade to is the same (or lower) TDP so that the original cooling system can handle it.

If the laptop's GPU is in the MXM format, you should be able to swap out for any other GPU that the manufacturer has used in that line of laptop and which can be adequately cooled by the existing HSF assembly. Changing it out for something the manufacturer never implemented is a crap-shoot.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah, thanks guys. I had that feeling. I got a bit too happy, was thinking about buying a low end lappy and slowly upgrading it lol.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyinDemon View Post

ah, thanks guys. I had that feeling. I got a bit too happy, was thinking about buying a low end lappy and slowly upgrading it lol.
Thats not really the case, though the cost will be higher than what you might have initially thought of. The G46vw is a good selection for "bare bones laptop" then upgrading as you go. As the CPU, RAM, HDD, mSATA, monitor can all be upgraded as you see fit.

Then you have laptops like mine where the CPU is upgradable, but the GPU's are not. NGFF slot is upgradable, but only to certain sizes due to physical limitations.

Some laptops are incapable of upgrading to a quad core cpu, despite being socketed.

If your looking for a barebones laptop to upgrade as you go, the G46vw would be an excellent choice.

You might also be interested in the y400/y410p for its high potential. Though that only applies if your in the U.S. otherwise the prices go crazy on those model laptops

1 - 5 of 5 Posts