Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm stumped. But you guys always seem to teach me something new.
So, I got a free Sony Vaio from a police officer at my school. I put my SSD in it, reinstalled windows, completely rebuilt it and presto its working. The specs are in my sig.

The 100% load temps are (prime95 and kombuster at the same time) :
83C on the CPU
72C on the GPU

I have stress tested it for about 2 hours with full success. So it should be in working order right? Wrong.

So I'll play a game, anything. CS:S, Gary's Mod, League of Leagends, for say, 45 minutes, then all of a sudden the screen freezes, the sound stutters, and she shuts off. I moniter my heat, so I know its not getting anywhere near 90C.

What could be the issue??? I'm stumped!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Could be any number of things.

First off I would check all your drivers are up to date. Sometimes rolling back to one you know is stable can help. You could also make sure any other programs that are running are not interfering and causing the crash.

I have occasionally had Kaspersky Internet Security interfere with games and cause a crash. This was fixed when I downgraded back to 2012 until they updated the 2013 edition of KIS.

I highly doubt it is anything to do with temperatures. Although if something is clocked too high it could be this.

Do you get any error messages when it crashes? For instance "display driver has stopped responding"?
 

·
Eh, Wha?
Joined
·
9,951 Posts
Kombustor is really just furmark, which while a great test of how hot your GPU gets under full load, has absolutely no indication of how stable it is.

Reflect upon that for a minute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

Kombustor is really just furmark, which while a great test of how hot your GPU gets under full load, has absolutely no indication of how stable it is.

Reflect upon that for a minute.
Well what you just said goes against everything I've ever been told about stress testing GPUs and GPU over clocks. Your sources sir?
 

·
Eh, Wha?
Joined
·
9,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehOnlyMITTENS View Post

Well what you just said goes against everything I've ever been told about stress testing GPUs and GPU over clocks. Your sources sir?
Countless review sites, furmark and msi themselves, this entire forum, and personal experience.

Testing GPU stability with furmark (or kombustor if you so prefer the MSI branding) is like testing a CPU overclock stability with a thermometer while sitting in BIOS.

It's an accurate test, but not valid for what you are testing for.
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,535 Posts
Furmark/Kombustor is a 2D stress testing program. It's usually not going to stress the GPU enough to recreate your problem. Figured I'd at least toss that out at ya. I would say that the GPU is failing. That's what it seems like is happening. That machine is OLD. First gen i7, GT 330M GPU... bleh... kinda lacking in that department. >.> Cooling might be fine, but really, there's probably a reason you got it for free.
tongue.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive been told by more than a few websites to use the 3D test it offers, and that deffinitally showed instability and helped me with my 6870 over clock...but of you say so.
At the moment I'm trying to get my laptop display working with the new Nvidia drivers (its only working with a seperate display). We'll see how that goes.
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bad Day View Post

Is there a software that can stress GPUs?
Vantage is pretty good at that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Vantage is pretty good at that one.
Which vantage?

Now I'm running into another odd problem. If I boot into normal windows with the new nvidia drivers, my screens black, unless I have an external display in. But safe mode works fine. Okay, Sony, I'm getting so mad at your lack of support and downloads.
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehOnlyMITTENS View Post

Which vantage?

Now I'm running into another odd problem. If I boot into normal windows with the new nvidia drivers, my screens black, unless I have an external display in. But safe mode works fine. Okay, Sony, I'm getting so mad at your lack of support and downloads.
jealoussmiley.gif


Going to ignore that one...

As for the problem you're facing, yeah, it would appear that the GPU is going out. Almost spot on there... Either that or the LCD is crapping out on you.
 

·
Eh, Wha?
Joined
·
9,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

jealoussmiley.gif


Going to ignore that one...

As for the problem you're facing, yeah, it would appear that the GPU is going out. Almost spot on there... Either that or the LCD is crapping out on you.
It's not the LCD. Black screens don't cause audio loops or system crashes. It's obviously the GPU. I thought I already mentioned that but I guess I didn't make it painfully obvious enough in my last two posts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

It's not the LCD. Black screens don't cause audio loops or system crashes. It's obviously the GPU. I thought I already mentioned that but I guess I didn't make it painfully obvious enough in my last two posts.
Don't get all moody dude o.o
If I believed everything I hear without question....gahh, I hate people like that. Would you rather have me question you or sit here and preach about alienware?

To the guy 2 spots above - Sorry, thought there were a bunch of 3dmark / vantage mark programs out there and they were all paid for. Nevermind
tongue.gif


I'll do some testing tomarrow. I'm now using old drivers ( 295.73 ). The newest didn't work AT ALL, and the one before that gave me freezes. So *fingers crossed*
 

·
Eh, Wha?
Joined
·
9,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehOnlyMITTENS View Post

Don't get all moody dude o.o
If I believed everything I hear without question....gahh, I hate people like that. Would you rather have me question you or sit here and preach about alienware?

To the guy 2 spots above - Sorry, thought there were a bunch of 3dmark / vantage mark programs out there and they were all paid for. Nevermind
tongue.gif


I'll do some testing tomarrow. I'm now using old drivers ( 295.73 ). The newest didn't work AT ALL, and the one before that gave me freezes. So *fingers crossed*
I'm mostly just sick of all the people here who don't seem to understand how to read or type English, but still insist on using it anyway and blame everyone else for miscommunication.

Not necessarily your fault, consider yourself a straw, and myself a camel.
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

I'm mostly just sick of all the people here who don't seem to understand how to read or type English, but still insist on using it anyway and blame everyone else for miscommunication.

Not necessarily your fault, consider yourself a straw, and myself a camel.
Then stop acting like people should just automatically agree with you when you tell them that their GPU is dead/dying. Yup. Just completely and utterly submit to your everlasting knowledge about PCs and the like.

BTW, it's human nature to question and hope that someone is wrong.
wink.gif
 

·
Eh, Wha?
Joined
·
9,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Then stop acting like people should just automatically agree with you when you tell them that their GPU is dead/dying. Yup. Just completely and utterly submit to your everlasting knowledge about PCs and the like.

BTW, it's human nature to question and hope that someone is wrong.
wink.gif
I don't expect people to agree, I understand that humans are inherently flawed and will more likely than not gravitate to the wrong answer because it usually happens to be more convenient.

I do however expect people to read. This is a text based English speaking forum. If you're here for any reason other than to read, process, and possibly reply to the entire text presented, you should probably re-evaluate your priorities.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top