Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toshiba Satellite A215. Recently, the harddrive started to crap out due to my dumb friends leaving it sitting on carpet/my bed/anything that doesn't allow airflow under the laptop. Hence, i had hang up problems that would cause it to randomly go unresponsive.
So when I went to just wipe the system, I couldnt use the install disks because of an error. Toshiba said it was due to the harddrive, as i assumed. They said it might also be the memory.

But anyways, I bought an open item harddrive 160gb 7200rpm harddrive from newegg.
Put it in and it worked great. But after a few days when I got everything installed back on it, it would freeze up overnight. I'd wake up and it would be completely unresponsive, or keep freezing every few seconds that I had to power down and restart.
so I was like whatever, I can wait till summer and diagnose everything. Well now, it hangs up if i leave it for like 2 hours or more. Im thinking its the memory screwing up or something that is causing the comp to have to try to pull everything from the hdd which is causing a hang up. any ideas here?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Im sort of leaning towards a heat issue again with it, since the history of being left on beds/carpet like you described. perhaps it could be getting a little warm. Every month i have made it a habit strip my laptop completely apart and clean the fans, vents from any dust. just to allow more unrestricted airflow, you would be suprized at how much it sucks in.

Although it could be a memory issue or even perhaps a windows issue. im sure someone else will be better able to shed light on those scenarios.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know, it does heat up ever since i reinstalled vista.

im pretty sure its not a wondows problem though.
i'll try taking it apart and cleaning it considering the warranty is up anyways.

I also read that the fans in laptops only come on when needed, but mine is always on, most of the time i am dl'n torrents, but even when im not, its still on.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NakedSuperhero
View Post

I also read that the fans in laptops only come on when needed, but mine is always on, most of the time i am dl'n torrents, but even when im not, its still on.

Sorry for the long response time i went out for dinner and a movie, but yea that defiantly sounds weird, clean it out and give it a try, post back with your results!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts