Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my office I can't get internet to my personal laptop by using a cat45 cable, so I am using a cell phone adapter that takes the internet from my cell phone and transfers it to my laptop. But it is soooooooo slow
. Is there any way to boost the speed somehow, or are there any new phones that come with fast internet, i think I've heard of new things like 3G or something. I live in Phoenix if that helps. Any ideas?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan

In my office I can't get internet to my personal laptop by using a cat45 cable, so I am using a cell phone adapter that takes the internet from my cell phone and transfers it to my laptop. But it is soooooooo slow
. Is there any way to boost the speed somehow, or are there any new phones that come with fast internet, i think I've heard of new things like 3G or something. I live in Phoenix if that helps. Any ideas?

What kind of connection are you getting at the moment? GPRS will give you "close to" 56k modem speeds.

As for 3G...i havn't delved into that arena yet

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know for sure. It was like the best phone when i got it, but that was 2 years ago. It is a sanyo flip, color, camera phone. On the back, if this has anything to do w/ the internet, it says: Qualcomm 3G CDMA.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

I don't know for sure. It was like the best phone when i got it, but that was 2 years ago. It is a sanyo flip, color, camera phone. On the back, if this has anything to do w/ the internet, it says: Qualcomm 3G CDMA.

On your laptop, what speed does it say you are connected as?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Usually through a cell phone the connection is only 28.8k, the 3G feature that you are speaking of I beleive it is not currently incorperated, it was planned to work alot like the satelite internet connection that you can get a high-speed connection at your house.

I believe that you are out of luck, and must stay with the 28.8 from the cell phone, or find a way to fix teh LAN adapter to enter the network at work.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Do you work in the basement? Why can't you use the office network?

·
Registered
645 Posts
oh i got a perfect idea! :shades2:

buy a USB ethernet adapter and use that! that way u can still get ethernet without going through your current integrated peice o' crap card. Or u could by one of those ethernet cards that slide into your laptop (like into the side) or wtv.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, for that usb ethernet adapter, how does that work? Does it go through the cat45 or the phone line. For cat45, how would it get away from the network we're on? And if it was from the phone line, how fast would the internet be (would the usb factor slow it down at all)? And finally, where can you get one of those? Thx

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Okay, for that usb ethernet adapter, how does that work? Does it go through the cat45 or the phone line. For cat45, how would it get away from the network we're on? And if it was from the phone line, how fast would the internet be (would the usb factor slow it down at all)? And finally, where can you get one of those? Thx

The USB ehternet adapter is basically a Ethernet card that is connected to your system through a USB slot.
Ethernet and CAT45 are teh same thing, CAT7 is the connection from a phone to the headset, and CAT11 is the connection from the jack in the wall for a phone line to the actual phone unit.

The network will run at full speed if you use the USB ethernet adapter.

A great adapter is at http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...124-146&depa=0 for 22.95.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a jack in my laptop, the dell 600m, so what is the difference of using a usb instead of just the normal ethernet chord?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

I have a jack in my laptop, the dell 600m, so what is the difference of using a usb instead of just the normal ethernet chord?

The problem as I understand it is that your Ethernet on the laptop will not work, if you use the USB to Ethernet attachement you will be using the Ethernet cord, but it will be connected to your laptop through the external USB device.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts