Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a question about laptop monitors I have just laying around the house... I have 3 I believe, and I would love to do a case mod that involves a laptop monitor running all of the information of my computer... or at very minimum find out what it would take to use them as back-up displays.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction for learning more about the connectors themselves (not dvi and what-not, but the actual tether that you usually find in the laptops)
Has anyone seen this done reliably?

·
AMD Fangirl
1,658 Posts
Most modern laptops have an LVDS display. So what you will be looking for is an "LVDS monitor driver" board for your particular model LCD.

Rip the LCD out and look at the back to find the model number, and then proceed to eBay to find the correct driver board.

Good luck!

EDIT: EXAMPLE

• Rep+
Reactions: Bridden

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridden View Post

So, I have a question about laptop monitors I have just laying around the house... I have 3 I believe, and I would love to do a case mod that involves a laptop monitor running all of the information of my computer... or at very minimum find out what it would take to use them as back-up displays.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction for learning more about the connectors themselves (not dvi and what-not, but the actual tether that you usually find in the laptops)
Has anyone seen this done reliably?
Laptops have a controller board built in for the Video display... so you would need a controller board, and some sort of mounting frame (easy enough to rig).

This is a pretty good explanation of how to do it > http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Convert-a-Laptop-LCD-into-an-External-Monit/

also some videos out there... http://lcdtovga.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are GREAT. That was quick. Thanks, I'll update you with how it goes ^^.

The guy from cgipson1's link... he is probably be biggest tinker-er I've ever seen... then again, I don't see that many tinkerers.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridden View Post

You guys are GREAT. That was quick. Thanks, I'll update you with how it goes ^^.

The guy from cgipson1's link... he is probably be biggest tinker-er I've ever seen... then again, I don't see that many tinkerers.
biggrin.gif
Good luck with it!
thumb.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts