Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well my DV9000 HP is out of warranty and will not display anything on the screen..No beeps or nothing..its all charged up, we tried with and without battery...So..I connected an external monitor to it and tried boot up and i can see the Windows XP logo and the loading bar, after its finished loading it just goes to a black screen and then goes to No Signal on the external monitor..Still all the time with a black screen on the actual laptop screen...So we bought a new inverter to see if that was the problem and it isnt..Same thing happens..So..Is it the motherboard? or is it the screen? I really need this sorted...Thanks for all the help in advance, and feel free to PM me if yah have a good answer..

·
Registered
796 Posts
I assume you have your data backed up?

The reason the external monitor goes blank/no-signal after booting in Windows is that everything is being displayed on the primary display and probably also because Windows/graphics card isn't set to use both monitors once in Windows. As for your notebook's display, it may not be working because of a corrupted display driver or some other important Windows file (worst case: dead display panel).

Since your lappy's display isn't working, you could use the external monitor and then start a Windows Repair of your notebook. Hopefully after you repair Windows, your primary display will function again.

If it still isn't working, then either the display panel is dead and/or the motherboard is to blame (loose connection, bad controller, etc.). At this point, you should either get a new notebook or get the current one repaired.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I cant get into Windows...With the external monitor...And no I cant get a new laptop as I dont have the moneys..So all the repairs will be done by me...

And I dont have the CD that came with it..I dont think...I could try to dig it up..

Thanks anyways

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Style
View Post

But I cant get into Windows...With the external monitor...And no I cant get a new laptop as I dont have the moneys..So all the repairs will be done by me...

And I dont have the CD that came with it..I dont think...I could try to dig it up..

Thanks anyways

Then you're only real option is to use a public computer and/or school lab computers (if you're in school). Repairing your laptop would require some good technical know-how, money, and time to find the right parts. You may end up needing to replace the mobo and/or the LCD panel (or some cable/controller for the display).

Without a CD and a display to see what you're doing you can't really make a reformat or Windows Repair (unless you know the entire process, commands, and such by heart).

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm..Well its not my only computer, but my dad spent alot of moneys on it 2/3 years ago now and he doesnt wanna trash it..We already tried changing to a different inverter but It still didnt work...So its either the screen or the motherboard..My dad thinks its the motherboard and I've seen a guide on how to do it, its just we gotta get hold of the right motherboard now
thanks for you help

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Style
View Post

Hmm..Well its not my only computer, but my dad spent alot of moneys on it 2/3 years ago now and he doesnt wanna trash it..We already tried changing to a different inverter but It still didnt work...So its either the screen or the motherboard..My dad thinks its the motherboard and I've seen a guide on how to do it, its just we gotta get hold of the right motherboard now
thanks for you help

If it's less than 1 year old, it should still be covered under warranty. You should call up HP and get RMA repair for the laptop instead of trying to fix it yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
With a laptop, it could be anything. They just don't make as much sense to me as desktops do. I had a friend whose laptop wouldn't boot, and it turned out to be a faulty optical drive. Replaced the drive for $80 and he was good to go.

What's the default display option for Windows safe mode? Maybe if it's just a problem with your primary display, you can boot to safe mode and see it on your second monitor. You could always tear it apart and put it back together and see if anything changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts