Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a new laptop sometime in the near future. Would like your opinions on any laptops that I should take into consideration. My intent is to use it for multi-media and causal gaming like Diablo or something.

Requirements that I would like:
-Blu ray drive
-Good picture clarity
-Good amount of space to store songs and videos maybe a 1 TB
-Screen that functions well in sunlight
-Fast system response time
-Windows 7 (I don't need another tablet)
-Decent Battery Life
-17" screen would be preferred, but willing to consider 15"

***Edit***
Not sure what price range I'm looking at. Probably 2,000 or less. Would prefer to buy from a place that allows a payment plan
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
No laptop comes with Windows 7 anymore, the majority of laptops come with Windows 8 now and it may prove difficult to get Windows 7 running on them. You would have to disable secure boot and attempt to install Windows 7 and then attempt to find the drivers that work for Windows 7. It is even possible that the newer hardware may not have compatible Windows 7 drivers as Windows 8 is now taking over. Most laptops still do not ship with Bluray drives but rather DVD.

Financing will be difficult as most places will not do it. NewEgg links are with no financing, I would suggest save the cash for it and then buy when you're ready. Your only other option is to try Dell's Alienware as they are the only laptops Dell has that comes with a Bluray drive and the starting cost is $2,500. Consider getting a credit card with a good rate for financing or attempt to get financing from the seller i.e. someone like BestBuy, Dell, etc... or something.

I don't know how much gaming you will do but maybe consider a Macbook Pro if you really want better screen quality as they come with retina.

MSI GE Series GE70 2OE-017US Notebook Intel Core i7 4700MQ (2.40GHz) 12GB Memory 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 17.3" Win 8 Multi-language
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152405

MSI GX Series GX60 3BE-240US Notebook AMD A-Series A10-5750M (2.50GHz) 8GB Memory 750GB HDD AMD Radeon HD 8970M 2GB GDDR5 15.6" Windows 8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152442

TOSHIBA Satellite S55T-A5337 Notebook Intel Core i7 4700MQ (2.40GHz) 16GB Memory 1TB HDD Intel HD Graphics 4600 15.6" Touchscreen Windows 8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216771

MSI GT Series GT70 DominatorPro-890 Gaming Notebook Intel Core i7 4800MQ (2.70GHz) 12GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M 8GB 17.3" Windows 8.1 64-Bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152549

ASUS G75 Series G75VW-TH71 Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM (2.40GHz) 12GB Memory 500GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 17.3" Windows 8 64-bit Refurbished
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231331

Acer Aspire V3-772G-9460 Notebook Intel Core i7 4702MQ (2.20GHz) 12GB Memory 1TB HDD 120GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M 2GB 17.3" Windows 8 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314160

Acer Aspire V3-772G-9822 Notebook Intel Core i7 4702MQ (2.20GHz) 12GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M 2GB 17.3" Windows 8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314148

Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 (59406361) Notebook Intel Core i7 4700MQ (2.40GHz) 16 GB, DDR3L, 1600 MHz (2 x 8GB) Memory Hybrid 1TB + 8G Solid State Hybrid Drive (SSHD) HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M 17.3" Windows 8.1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313744

MSI GT Series GT70 2OD-064US Notebook Intel Core i7 4700MQ (2.40GHz) 12GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 17.3" Win 8 Multi-language
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152398

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

No laptop comes with Windows 7 anymore, the majority of laptops come with Windows 8 now and it may prove difficult to get Windows 7 running on them. You would have to disable secure boot and attempt to install Windows 7 and then attempt to find the drivers that work for Windows 7. It is even possible that the newer hardware may not have compatible Windows 7 drivers as Windows 8 is now taking over. Most laptops still do not ship with Bluray drives but rather DVD.
Actually Dell, Alienware, MSI, Sager, etc... All can be customized with windows 7. I would recommend checking out XoticPC, GentechPC or Mythlogic, and take a look at what they offer.

I know for example, sagers on Xoticpc can be customized with different screens, bluray drives, can be configured with or without windows 7 or 8 etc... The only issue is, they don't do payment plans, for that you would probably have to stick to alienware direct from dell. Personally I would stick with Sager or the offerings from Malibal. They are clevo barebones and I have been a fan of them for a while. Or Alienware, I love the m18x, it is an awesome machine.

At this point in the game, I wouldn't buy anything with a GPU lower than an 800 series nvidia because the lower end stuff, like stuff equipped with the 2gb GTX 860m will smoke other stuff in its class, and the price on the 700 series notebooks really havent dropped enough to justify them, even if the majority of the 800 series is yet another kepler refresh.

I am really not a fan of MSI, and I would not buy an Asus refurb unless you were on a budget, I know newegg occasionally has refurbs with the 670mx in them which will smoke the above recommended one with GTX 660m.

I would also be willing to bet you could find a dell with a bluray drive, but you could also call up dell and have them custom configure you an alienware to meet your specs for less. Then you should try to haggle with them to get it for less.

If you're looking to buy now, maybe apply for a 0% interest credit card offer that is good for 12-18 months so you can make payments. But for a luxury item like a laptop I would recommend saving up as anoob recommended. You don't want to be making payments on something that goes out of date so fast.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by identitycrisis View Post

Actually Dell, Alienware, MSI, Sager, etc... All can be customized with windows 7. I would recommend checking out XoticPC, GentechPC or Mythlogic, and take a look at what they offer.
Only if you order from XoticPC it can be customized practically anyway you want considering they're not an OEM. Most of the OEM's don't offer Windows 7 anymore but you can get downgrade rights by purchasing Windows 8/8.1 Pro and go that route. I checked Lenovo and they offered Windows 7 and Dell but only for the non-Alienware/Bluray laptops, you may have to call directly to ask if they still offer Windows 7 from whoever you're buying from. Most likely Windows 7 is only offered on select models of laptops. Financing can be trouble for the OP but AFAIK MSI has never sold directly to the public nor offered customization of their laptops as these services are often offered by smaller resellers. In about 6 months you may no longer see Windows 7 at all.

See article:
Quote:

Windows 7: Alive but fading

It's true that new Windows 7 PC options are vanishing to make room for Windows 8 machines. Net Applications reports that in January, for the first time since Windows 7 went on sale, the operating system lost market share. But there's no need to panic quite yet if you want a new PC that runs the older OS. Microsoft claims that its plans for ending the sale of PCs preinstalled with Windows 7 are "to be determined." However, the company does say that it will end mainstream support for Windows 7 in January 2015.

Way back in 2010, Microsoft shed light on what its commitment to support past Windows operating systems was going to be. "We are confirming our current policy of allowing retailers to sell the boxed version of the previous OS for up to one year after release of a new OS, and that OEMs can sell PCs with the previous OS pre-loaded for up to 2 years after the launch date of the new OS," wrote Microsoft's Brandon LeBlanc on a company blog.

If this policy first stated in 2010 holds true, it means that retailers can sell boxed copies of Windows 7 until October 26, 2013, and that Dell, HP, and Lenovo can sell Windows 7 PCs until October 2014.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026879/how-to-get-a-new-pc-that-runs-windows-7-not-windows-8.html

The only Windows 7 OS you will see for sale 6 months from now will be from whoever stock piled a bunch of it somewhere when October 2014 comes. I'm not really a fan of Windows 8 and I'm sure there are a lot of others that don't like it either but there will come a day when future hardware will no longer be supported on Windows 7 and we will all have to migrate to Windows 8 or beyond. This is pretty much becoming the norm for laptops and desktops now. I had request from a relative to reinstall their HP 500-164 desktop with Windows 7, I was barely able to find compatible drivers for it. Think about it when it comes to laptops, it'll even be worse trying to get compatible drivers.

More information:
https://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/120613-microsoft-ends-windows-7-retail-276673.html
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really don't have confidence anymore buying from newegg. I have bought many components there in the past when I was making a computer and a majority of the parts I was sent were defective.

Also as new egg is without financing I am not interested in laptops they have.

I know I can still get laptops with windows 7 from mainline computer brands because I have researched a bit before I posted this. So idk where you guys are saying you can't get windows 7 from.

I'm not too fond of the whole apple pro book thing. I have a tablet from apple which is nice, but I still prefer windows over their OS.

"At this point in the game, I wouldn't buy anything with a GPU lower than an 800 series nvidia because the lower end stuff, like stuff equipped with the 2gb GTX 860m will smoke other stuff in its class, and the price on the 700 series notebooks really havent dropped enough to justify them, even if the majority of the 800 series is yet another kepler refresh."

I am not up to date with all the graphics card lingo. From your statement can I assume nvidia 700 series is better than the 800 series?

"I would also be willing to bet you could find a dell with a bluray drive, but you could also call up dell and have them custom configure you an alienware to meet your specs for less. Then you should try to haggle with them to get it for less."

Funny thing, I was talking to some of their chat departments on dell trying to find out more information, and their sales department told me the only way I could get a blu ray drive installed is to buy alienware (which only certain series of the alienware product have it) because thats the way they bundle it. I don't know however If I called and talked to someone if they would do that or if the chat agent just wanted to get me off the line.

I also considered that I could have an external bluray drive. Although I'm not to fond of having to lug it around everywhere when I watch a movie, and I don't particularly know, how hot they can get.

Technology changes every day, at some point when I decide to buy a laptop it will probably be obsolete within a few weeks. I don't really care about that aspect too much because most components can be upgraded if it becomes detrimental to the system.

I will look at Sager, malibal, and xotic when I get a chance to see what they have (haven't really heard of them before). How is their customer service?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

Only if you order from XoticPC it can be customized practically anyway you want considering they're not an OEM. Most of the OEM's don't offer Windows 7 anymore but you can get downgrade rights by purchasing Windows 8/8.1 Pro and go that route. I checked Lenovo and they offered Windows 7 and Dell but only for the non-Alienware/Bluray laptops, you may have to call directly to ask if they still offer Windows 7 from whoever you're buying from. Most likely Windows 7 is only offered on select models of laptops. Financing can be trouble for the OP but AFAIK MSI has never sold directly to the public nor offered customization of their laptops as these services are often offered by smaller resellers. In about 6 months you may no longer see Windows 7 at all.

See article:

The only Windows 7 OS you will see for sale 6 months from now will be from whoever stock piled a bunch of it somewhere when October 2014 comes. I'm not really a fan of Windows 8 and I'm sure there are a lot of others that don't like it either but there will come a day when future hardware will no longer be supported on Windows 7 and we will all have to migrate to Windows 8 or beyond. This is pretty much becoming the norm for laptops and desktops now. I had request from a relative to reinstall their HP 500-164 desktop with Windows 7, I was barely able to find compatible drivers for it. Think about it when it comes to laptops, it'll even be worse trying to get compatible drivers.

More information:
https://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/120613-microsoft-ends-windows-7-retail-276673.html
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
I never said anything about windows 7 not being near end of life. I was simply responding to the fact that you said with absolution that you can't get windows 7 anymore. Alienware can be configured with windows 7 as well as all of the brands I mentioned from the resellers, who are not OEMS, you're right on that. But all I wanted to point out is that it is possible too get windows 7. Judging from your response you may have taken my post the wrongn way, I certainly did not mean for it to come across as an attack or something like that.

I was simply trying to point out there are still ways to get windows 7 on a laptop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrowski View Post

I really don't have confidence anymore buying from newegg. I have bought many components there in the past when I was making a computer and a majority of the parts I was sent were defective.

Also as new egg is without financing I am not interested in laptops they have.

I know I can still get laptops with windows 7 from mainline computer brands because I have researched a bit before I posted this. So idk where you guys are saying you can't get windows 7 from.

I'm not too fond of the whole apple pro book thing. I have a tablet from apple which is nice, but I still prefer windows over their OS.

"At this point in the game, I wouldn't buy anything with a GPU lower than an 800 series nvidia because the lower end stuff, like stuff equipped with the 2gb GTX 860m will smoke other stuff in its class, and the price on the 700 series notebooks really havent dropped enough to justify them, even if the majority of the 800 series is yet another kepler refresh."

I am not up to date with all the graphics card lingo. From your statement can I assume nvidia 700 series is better than the 800 series?

"I would also be willing to bet you could find a dell with a bluray drive, but you could also call up dell and have them custom configure you an alienware to meet your specs for less. Then you should try to haggle with them to get it for less."

Funny thing, I was talking to some of their chat departments on dell trying to find out more information, and their sales department told me the only way I could get a blu ray drive installed is to buy alienware (which only certain series of the alienware product have it) because thats the way they bundle it. I don't know however If I called and talked to someone if they would do that or if the chat agent just wanted to get me off the line.

I also considered that I could have an external bluray drive. Although I'm not to fond of having to lug it around everywhere when I watch a movie, and I don't particularly know, how hot they can get.

Technology changes every day, at some point when I decide to buy a laptop it will probably be obsolete within a few weeks. I don't really care about that aspect too much because most components can be upgraded if it becomes detrimental to the system.

I will look at Sager, malibal, and xotic when I get a chance to see what they have (haven't really heard of them before). How is their customer service?
Like I've said as pointed out windows 7 is inevitably going to be replaced by windows 8 but it is still available.

As for the bluray drive, I am surprised any dell can't be configures with one. But again you can Get them from alienware or OEMS. Did you call dell and ask what kind of configuration you can do to the alienware? You may not need to start with the higher tier to get it. I know the precision laptops I have purchased for work can be customized if you call them and tell them what you want.

The 800 series GPUs are faster than the 700s. Nvidia rebranded the mxm cards from the 700 series. They released the new maxwell cards earlier this month but only for the lower end soldered version of the 840 850 and 2gb 860 so you need to be careful you know what you're buying.

My friends and I have all purchased fro!m xoticpc in the past, I liked the service I received from them, I haven't had to deal with any warranty issues though. As far as I know you can pay with a credit card but they do not offer financing. So you may need to try and get a cc with low or no interest or buy from dell/alienware.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So graphics wise I should look for a ndivia 880 or what? (seen 880s on a few websites)

I'm not sure when I'm going to pull the trigger on buying a laptop. I may just wait for Windows 9 as I hear its supposed to mock the xp system somewhat, but idk if I want to possible wait until early 2015.

How hard is it to upgrade versions of windows now? Think last time I tried to upgrade a OS was from windows 95 to 97 lol.

Also do they give discounts to upgrade if you have a previous version?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The 880 is the fastest of the nvidia gpus, its also likely to run the hottest, and its probably not a necessity for casual gaming, you could probably configure a system for around $1500-1600 with windows for a Sager 17" laptop with an 870m.

Take a look around on xoticpcs website they have a lot of options.

upgrading operating systems isn't too difficult, but there can be driver issues. Most of the laptops Ive been mentioning should have the drivers available for windows 8 and windows 7 so it shouldnt be an issue.

Im never a proponent of waiting for a laptop unless its confirmed something is right around the corner hardware wise, and I definitely wouldn't wait for a windows OS. You never know what you're going to get. Especially since you still have the option of picking up windows 7 while its still around.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by identitycrisis View Post

I never said anything about windows 7 not being near end of life. I was simply responding to the fact that you said with absolution that you can't get windows 7 anymore. Alienware can be configured with windows 7 as well as all of the brands I mentioned from the resellers, who are not OEMS, you're right on that. But all I wanted to point out is that it is possible too get windows 7. Judging from your response you may have taken my post the wrongn way, I certainly did not mean for it to come across as an attack or something like that.
No offense taken, I meant to direct the information about Windows 7 EOL towards the OP as general information that should be considered should a purchase be made now or in the future.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrowski View Post

Are pretty much all components in laptops upgradable? Is there anything I should beware of i.e. integrated hardware?
It really depends on the laptop you buy, usually the GPU is integrated onto the laptop's motherboard. In the case of something like Sager/Clevo they may have actual mobile cards installed. But still the limitations are still there as you can only upgrade it so much and often times the gains are not worth the cost. There's not much to really watch out on integrated other than hope it has a good wireless card and LAN port. Personally I prefer Intel over Atheros for wireless, my recent experience with a Qualcomm Atheros chip inside the HP500-164 was not so positive compared their older chips. The Qualcomm Atheros chip was so bad at picking up any signal. From the same range my older Atheros AR928X had better signal. Not much else to say.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
As anoob said it really does depend on the laptop.

often times the slim laptops have a soldered cpu and gpu, some even have onboard ram

a lot of laptops have an upgradeable cpu, hdd and memory. Then there are the gaming laptops from the likes of Alienware, Clevo based units, MSI, etc... Again some of these have soldered GPUs.

A lot of them you can upgrade everything from the CPU to the screen. You really need to do your homework with laptop upgrades, most are straight forward - RAM and HDD are easiest, CPUs are pretty easy too, just gotta verify CPU wattage before upgrading. But brands like MSI and Clevo you can even readily swap the screen when you're configuring it or after the fact.

The toughest upgrade is the GPU, because in most cases you're really only guaranteed an upgrade within that generation. For example. you buy a Sager with an 860m in it, and in a year or two you want to upgrade, the safest bet is the 880m. Sometimes it will accept one a generation after.

Alienware is much better. There are plenty of people with Alienware m17x-R2 running the original i7s. They came with 5870s, and I know of plenty of people who have put 7970s or 680s in the R2 several generations later. Dells are much more accepting of the GPU. MSI I think is fairly easy too. You just need to do your homework, and often times someone has tried an upgrade you're considering and can get plenty of guidance and info.

the problem with GPU upgrades in laptops is they're really expensive. I mean you can spend upwards of $800 on the top end nvidia card when it comes out. They also hold their value for a long time. The 680m is already 2 (3 if you count the 680mx) generations old, and it still goes for $400+

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About Alienware, what does the R2 mean? I looked on dells website and I don't see anything, unless I'm blind. Also speaking of Alienware, they have a wireless card card sibeam gen 3 60 ghz wihd that is available on one of the 6 17" on their site. How does this compare to the broadcom 4352 802.11 ac 2x2 and Bluetooth 4.0. Think it is weird that it is not selectable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.