Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

In a bit of a pickle here. When I close my laptop lid to put the machine to sleep, it will more often than not some time later start up again without me having touched it.

At first this wasn't much of a problem but last night I was so tired that I just closed the lid and put it in my bag, not expecting it to wake up. I woke up at 4am looking for something in my bag and burned my hand on something. I quickly realised that the laptop had turned back on and was venting hot air into the bag and then recirculating, it really was scorching. Pulled it out of the bag and opened it to find that the left 1/4 of the screen was black. It seemed as the screen cooled down the image would reappear, untill it eventually was back to normal. I checked it again this morning and everything seems to be fine.

So, what would cause the laptop to start up when it's just been put to sleep?

I've tried searching google, but all I can seem to find is people wanting to know how to turn the laptop on while the lid is closed.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
There's several ways a laptop could turn it self on after going to sleep s1 or s2 as well as s3 I believe. Here are the most common that I know of.
1. USB wake up
2. Windows updates, this will wake up a laptop
3. The lid being closed down and pressed hard enough to perhaps push some keys.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of the three you mentioned it sounds most likely to be the windows updates. I forgot to configure the update settings when I installed Windows again. I'll take a look at those when I get home and let you know how it goes.

+rep

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mistake, posted this while I didn't have the laptop with me. It is set to hibernate when I shut the lid, whether running on battery or on the mains.

I changed the settings for windows update and that seems to have fixed the problem. Shut the lid and left it for a few hours and it didn't turn back on. I'll post again if the problem happens again.

Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts