Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying my first laptop. I have a question about the video cards
offered by verous outfits. Im looking to spend around 1300-1500$. What I
seem to see alot of out there is ATI X700 128MB.
My first question is, is this a good card for gaming. In your opinion that is.
Second is this an upgradeable card?
The board is a ATI RX 480M+ ATI SB 400 Chipset.

·
Registered
577 Posts
about the upgrade part... you cant be sure... its all about the laptop model...
and its seems that the GeForce Go 6800Ultra 256MB and the Mobile Radeon X800XT 256MB realy cheap now that you can find GeForce Go 7800GTX or X1800XT... its only few buks...(to add)
and if you do choose a model that is upgrade able that will be great... because you can allways wait a bit for the prices (of the video card) to drop...

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
smager, I'm looking for about the same thing, a laptop around 1200-1400 bucks to be decent in gaming and the truth is I didn't find a lot of choices. Most of them have x700, but I found some of them with geforce 7400 GO. The thing is I dunno much about this nVidia card, how well it behaves in games.
This is the best thing I found, it has a Turion 64 as CPU, so it should behave OK in games:
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/produ...o_a_1667g.html

edit: and it costs around 1200 in france

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
The only laptops which can have their descrete graphics replaced, or upgraded, manually, are MXM compliant laptops, and they are very expensive and quite rare still, they usually come with great graphics already.

If it doesn't specificaly say MXM, then theres no chance to upgrade the graphics yourself.

An X700 128mb mobile is the best graphics for mid range laptops IMO, faster then Go7400, X300, X1300, X1400 mobile, and just about the same speed as X1600 mobile.

Its limiting factor is the 128mb of memory, but some laptops have a 256mb version.

Don't expect any extreme performance but to give you a rough estimation, its got about the graphics capabilities as a desktop 9800 Pro.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
i have a X700 mobilty in my Lappy. it owns any 9800pro in a desktop 4 sure. they r a good card. they also respond very well 2 the omega drivers. i got a 30% increse in performance when i installed the omega drivers. well i can pretty much confim that it will run any game out at the moment. have fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts