Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a general question here. Also, not sure where this topic should fit. It's "technically" a voltmod. Sort of. Moving on:

I have an Everex Stepnote XT5000T notebook from 2007, which has been a nightmare to deal with. The initial run had high-lead-content solder, which would develop micro-fissures and have to be sent back/baked. I went through a replacement last year, shortly before FIC (parent co.) shut down Everex's US operations.

So on top of the fact that I'm now stuck with a completely unsupported piece of hardware, there are of course problems with it. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 @ 1.6GHz - ideally anyway. Basically, the cooling in the thing is horrid. To make things worse, the fan is not controlled via PWM, and isn't even monitored by the SMBUS. The BIOS uses some terrible parameter to throttle the clock up and down, while not increasing the fan speed beyond 60% or so. You see the problem.

So basically, I'm left with one option: jack a +5V rail from somewhere else and let the fan have at it. I gave it a shot, and right now I have pin 8 on one of the SATA outs spliced into the fan header. My question is, will this be a problem at all? I just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for any potential damage.

The irony here is, the thing still can't maintain a 1.6GHz clock at 100% CPU. Even with the fan at an effective 100%, the clock still bounces up and down with temps in the range of 60-80C.
Case in point:

·
Retired Benchmark Editor
10,194 Posts
The fan plug has a sense wire. Disconnect the sense wire and the fan should run 100% all the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts