Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered my new 800D side panel today

Here's the side panel design:

Finished product should be here in 5 days.

Update (2 days delivery, fantastic service):

Will update once I have drilled the holes and mounted it later tonight

Update (no lights):

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can't wait to see it

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philistine
View Post

Nice! Are you going to edge light it?

Yup, planning to put around 20-25 red LEDs around the edge on the side panel.

Unfortunately, the ones I got so far are pretty terrible, so I'm going to need to send them back and get some meatier ones.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
How much did you spend on it? I cant see the image here at work, but will in a bit at home.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Furball Zen
View Post

How much did you spend on it? I cant see the image here at work, but will in a bit at home.

With delivery it cost £68

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle
View Post

Does a company etch it for you? If so, what company?

Denny plastics ~ I'm quite looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Furball Zen
View Post

How much was the etching? Surely not 68.00...

It's a new side panel with the laser etching, other companies I contacted all quoted over £100...

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabid
View Post

Denny plastics ~ I'm quite looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Ooh, thanks. Post lots of pictures when you get it, been thinking about getting the window of my TJ07 Etched.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Just to let you guys know OCN artisan Pedgette can laser etch windows and he is very reasonable on the cost (PM him with what you want for a quote). He can do a window up to 12"x18". He did a window for me and I am very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Oh god, that's so awesome. How did you light it up?

I've got a smoked window, not sure if it'd make a difference in lighting it.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

View Post

I'm using two cold cathode tubes to light it. You can see the details of the installation on my work log: http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...l#post12882302

That's awesome.

I would like to have been able to use cathodes but red cathodes are kinda crap, or more to the point, pink : /

On a side note, for future projects, I think I need to learn to use photoshop...

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabid
View Post

That's awesome.

I would like to have been able to use cathodes but red cathodes are kinda crap, or more to the point, pink : /

I'm going to try el wire in a u-channel around the edge of the window to get more even lighting. I've heard though that el wire inverters make a noticeable high pitch whine though.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

View Post

I'm going to try el wire in a u-channel around the edge of the window to get more even lighting. I've heard though that el wire inverters make a noticeable high pitch whine though.

Now there's a fascinating piece of technology I had never heard of before...

As for the whine, if it's from capacitors in the inverter, it might be luck of the draw on if it whines or not.

Might be a better option than LEDs though, if you could throw me a link to somewhere that sells it I'd love to have a look at the specs.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Well I just did a quick and dirty test of the EL wire (just got it today) by taping it to the edge of the window with electrical tape and its not impressive.

El Wire

Cold Cathodes

Its far dimmer than the cold cathodes. Even with all the lights off the effect is barely visible (the above picture is from a timed exposure). It definetly gives an even glow to the etching but its just too dim. I do recall seeing some high intensity EL wire some where so maybe I'll give that a try.

The inverter does have a high pitched whine but I can only hear it if I'm really close to it. With the inverter in the case and sitting next to it at my desk I can't hear it at all.

Not sure where you can get it in the UK but most PC modding stores sell it. So check a few UK sites and I'm sure you'll find it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts