Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello once again all!

I figure I'd have some fun before finalizing this build...

After weeks of research I am about to press the "purchase" button on my new rig. Listed below is everything I am purchasing save for the vid card. I will be using my current GTX8800 until the end of the month when the new fermi's are released and hit the shelves. Unless of course the fine folk here at overclockers can give me reason enough to purchase a card already in existence.

I will be monitoring this thread before hitting the button and draining my bank account in 120 minutes. That's 2 hours from now or 10:06pm est.

Any and all feedback/recommendations are welcome so have at it!!

Thanks in advance all...This community ROCKS!!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
wait! the headset is usb! and will NOT utilize your sound card. it has a built in soundcard! DONT DO IT! lol go with a different headset besides that its good to go

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Everything looks good but I would change 2 things, the HDD and the Processor.

The Western Digital Cavier Black is great but for the price there is a better alternative, Sumsung's F3. The Samsung F3 is priced at $89 and is actually a better performing/faster HDD than the Cavier Black.

As for the Processor, instead of the i7 920 I would either a) bump it up to an i7 930 because of the higher multiplier or b) get a Xeon w3520 because of the higher heat resistance and clock-ability (Server model of i7 920).

Overall everything looks good but I think you could benefit from both of these suggestions.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=*HERO*=- View Post
wait! the headset is usb! and will NOT utilize your sound card. it has a built in soundcard! DONT DO IT! lol go with a different headset besides that its good to go

The model in the combo deal is not USB.

OP-
I'd go OEM on the HDD, and also Fatal1ty = Fa1l.

I'd go with an ASUS Xonar series. They seem to get good reviews around here, and are a lot cheaper, and will save you enough to get a good headset.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moltar: Thanks for the info. I was toying with the idea of the 930. Also I did have the samsung in my cart but the freakin thing is always out of stock!!
I got tired of waiting so I subbed it with the WD.

Hero: the combo deal drops the price of the card by $5. No idea how this makes sense but...I can always give away the headset as I already have a decent one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by IrDewey View Post
The model in the combo deal is not USB.

OP-
I'd go OEM on the HDD, and also Fatal1ty = Fa1l.

I'd go with an ASUS Xonar series. They seem to get good reviews around here, and are a lot cheaper, and will save you enough to get a good headset.
Hmm...I have always head great luck with creative. Asus you say? I'll do some quick research. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The best change you could make is get yourself a smaller hard drive, use it just for storage. Then get a 64gb SSD to put your operating system and programs on! works for me. Once you go SSD you never go back! LOL

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Thumb View Post
The best change you could make is get yourself a smaller hard drive, use it just for storage. Then get a 64gb SSD to put your operating system and programs on! works for me. Once you go SSD you never go back! LOL
Thanks Tom...I keep hearing people rave about SSD's. I just don't think I am ready to make the jump yet.

Next question all...Vid cards... Keep the 8800 for now until the new releases hopefully drives prices down? Or wait and purchase the shiniest of shinies...the new and very sexy gtx480? or screw it and go ati....

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by artos72 View Post
Thanks Tom...I keep hearing people rave about SSD's. I just don't think I am ready to make the jump yet.

Next question all...Vid cards... Keep the 8800 for now until the new releases hopefully drives prices down? Or wait and purchase the shiniest of shinies...the new and very sexy gtx480? or screw it and go ati....
I'd wait. At this point, sudden decisions are not necessary. Your 8800 will last as long as you need it to. The GTX 480 is showing performance increases over the 5870s, so I would wait until things like that can be reliably confirmed before making a final decision.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Get the SSD man, you will not regret it! Your computer will not only start faster than any other upgrade can bring, but it will open every program or file faster than any other piece of hardware upgrade can! You will be amazed!

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
ditch the F4tality as others have said go Xonar or Auzentech X-Fi...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am
View Post

ditch the F4tality as others have said go Xonar or Auzentech X-Fi...

Excellent. That's 2 votes for dropping the fatality...anyone else want to chime in? I am liking the Auzentech X-Fi listed below...thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829156015

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by artos72
View Post

LOL!! Sorry Tom. I promise when i do go to SSD I will give you FULL credit for converting me!

You better! LOL!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts