Overclock.net banner

MATRIX HD 7970 Platinum 3GB or GTX 680 DC2 4GB

  • ASUS ROG MATRIX 7970-P-3GD5

    Votes: 18 72.0%
  • ASUS GTX 680 DC2-4GD5

    Votes: 7 28.0%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use a little input from those who've been with the warmer side how's their experience with the 7970 GHz Edition?

I had ASUS GTX 680 DC2T 2GB for good 6 months but VRAM was crippling overall performance at times proly due to resolution (2560x1600) with that in mind and knowing new goodies will pop around this time I sold it nifty! but **** happens nothing goes as planned kind of strangled and tempted once again gotta buy something screw the wait;

I have a choice between getting an ASUS MATRIX 7970 Platinum 3GB or GTX 680 DC2 4GB time's short had to make a purchase tomorrow hasty hasty
tongue.gif


My only gripe with 7970 is its Power Consumption and with the GTX 680 I have a fear it might not make good use of 4GB due GK104's Memory Bandwidth nature anyways feel free to pitch in your thought.

ASUS ROG MATRIX 7970-3GD5
Quote:
GPU Boost Clock : 1050 MHz
GPU Base Clock : 1000 MHz
ASUS ROG MATRIX 7970-P-3GD5
Quote:
GPU Boost Clock : 1100 MHz
GPU Base Clock : 1050 MHz
ASUS GTX 680 DC2-4GD5
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,034 Posts
its known that at 2560 X 1600 the HD 7970 Ghz is the faster card without a doubt . on avg 10% faster

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2013/test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan/7/

2560 x 1600 4x AA

HD 7970 Ghz - 48.2
GTX 680 - 43.5

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan/27.html

2560 x 1600

HD 7970 Ghz - 76
GTX 680 - 70

go with the ASUS HD 7970 Matrix platinum. its a high quality custom design card. nice features like tweakit voltage buttons, safe mode and turbo fan buttons.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2068/1/
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
Matrix is a rather annoying card with its reliance on gputweak.

And the 680 to get is the Lightning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
680 since it's the 4GB model
thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

its known that at 2560 X 1600 the HD 7970 Ghz is the faster card without a doubt . on avg 10% faster

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2013/test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan/7/

2560 x 1600 4x AA

HD 7970 Ghz - 48.2
GTX 680 - 43.5

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan/27.html

2560 x 1600

HD 7970 Ghz - 76
GTX 680 - 70

go with the ASUS HD 7970 Matrix platinum. its a high quality custom design card. nice features like tweakit voltage buttons, safe mode and turbo fan buttons.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2068/1/
You're comparing it to the 2GB model , the one he will potentially be buying is the 4GB
thumb.gif
Plus the 680 is cheaper
happysmiley.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justhavocman View Post

680 since it's the 4GB model
thumb.gif

You're comparing it to the 2GB model , the one he will potentially be buying is the 4GB
thumb.gif
Plus the 680 is cheaper
happysmiley.gif
actually it's the opposite the MATRIX as of now will set me about USD $70 to $80 cheaper than GTX 680 DC2 4GB
rolleyes.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,166 Posts
Neither to be honest, why are you sticking with Asus? If going for a 680 go with either the MSI Lightning for the 2GB model or EVGA Classified for the 4GB model. If going for a 7970 then I'd go with the MSI Lightning, Sapphire Vapor-X or HIS IceQ version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

What if he's a BF3 fan



or a FC3 player



At his res the 680 is a bad buy
hell yeah spot on! The only Game I played on me GTX 680 DC2T 2GB was Battlefield 3
biggrin.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus_G4 View Post

hell yeah spot on! The only Game I played on me GTX 680 DC2T 2GB was Battlefield 3
biggrin.gif
What's wrong with your current 680? It's enough for 1600p for the mean time until a new gen comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post

Neither to be honest, why are you sticking with Asus? If going for a 680 go with either the MSI Lightning for the 2GB model or EVGA Classified for the 4GB model. If going for a 7970 then I'd go with the MSI Lightning, Sapphire Vapor-X or HIS IceQ version.
PRICE is the key factor plus I've had a pretty good experience with ASUS.
 

·
Not New to Overclock.net
Joined
·
9,207 Posts
just to point out something. Benchmarks are relative to the game. two cards can perform way differently on different games,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post

Neither to be honest, why are you sticking with Asus? If going for a 680 go with either the MSI Lightning for the 2GB model or EVGA Classified for the 4GB model. If going for a 7970 then I'd go with the MSI Lightning, Sapphire Vapor-X or HIS IceQ version.
+1 for the EVGA classified or the 7970 lightning , i'd stay away from HIS , their parts quality is not what it used to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post

What's wrong with your current 680? It's enough for 1600p for the mean time until a new gen comes out.
the VRAM seemed to me was crippling performance in Battlefield 3 when everything was set to maximum and was offered good money for it so sold it
redface.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus_G4 View Post

the VRAM seemed to me was crippling performance in Battlefield 3 when everything was set to maximum and was offered good money for it so sold it
redface.gif
Really? Turn anti-aliasing off, you don't need it at that resolution. With it off you shouldn't have any issues with vram.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post

Neither to be honest, why are you sticking with Asus? If going for a 680 go with either the MSI Lightning for the 2GB model or EVGA Classified for the 4GB model. If going for a 7970 then I'd go with the MSI Lightning, Sapphire Vapor-X or HIS IceQ version.
the OP is running 2560 x 1600. the hd 7970 lightning has single link dvi port which means his monitor needs to have a displayport connector. if not he will have to spend 100 dollars on a active minidisplayport to dual link dvi adapter. for alternatives the sapphire hd 7970 ghz vapor-x and his hd 7970 iceq x2 ghz are good ones.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top