Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with sleep mode on my computer for about a month now. My specs are in my sig below. The problem is that when my computer suspends and then I wake it up, it will act like its gonna start back up and just black screen and freeze. I have tried 2 separate motherboards from ASUS and everything is P95 and Memtest stable. This problem even happens at stock settings. I have made one very important discovery. This only happens when I have dual monitors plugged in. As wierd as it is, its true. Each monitor works fine by themselves but together they just freak out the system i guess. I am open to sugguestions here as I am at my last leg. I have been on the phone with ASUS, EVGA and Gskill tech support ALOT. Nobody knows anything.

Things I have tried...
-New motherboard
-Update BIOS
-Use only 1 stick of RAM
-Up PCI-e Bus speed
-Install older Nvidia drivers
-Install monitor drivers (really screwed up the colors in photoshop and preview)
-Different video card
-Different PSU (750W)
-Setting BIOS to S1 only
-Setting to S3 only

Havnt tried
-Reinstalling the whole OS again. (absolute last option)

Anyone had this problem in the past?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
I think all x58's have s3 sleep issues.
I dont know about that... sleep mode works fine for me in Vista but once I switched to Win7... I'm experiencing same problems as JrHarvey

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrharvey View Post
so then you do to? Why is it that nobody at ASUS or EVGA has any clue about this if its such a big issue. Grrrrrr. Anyone else have issues?
Evga is aware of the problem & the last bios update (SZ1N) was meant to fix this but didn't, well not on mine anyway. I'm starting to think it's the i7's that are the culprit.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdswine
View Post

Evga is aware of the problem & the last bios update (SZ1N) was meant to fix this but didn't, well not on mine anyway. I'm starting to think it's the i7's that are the culprit.

Could be, maybe. Here is what I have discovered. My computer sleeps and wakes up PERFECT when I only use one monitor. Once I plug the second monitor in everything pukes and crahses. Its crazy. This is all at stock settings of course. Once overclocked I expect some things to be unstable but i am talking stock.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know you properly would have but you have swaped the monitor's on the card so the second monitor is the main one? Also a dodgy usb device can mess with sleep mode.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdswine
View Post

I know you properly would have but you have swaped the monitor's on the card so the second monitor is the main one? Also a dodgy usb device can mess with sleep mode.

Ya, I have tried that. I hear that this is a consistent problem with alot of people. The thing is that ASUS and EVGA tech support say they have never heard of this. Asus even says that they tested 4 different machines with vista 64 and they all work fine. I have a hard time believing it but it makes me wonder.

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Did you do a fresh install of vista when you built your new rig? I just installed vista 64 on my game rig (sleep works fine) and vista 32 on my DELL and sleep doesn't even light up as an option right now. I'm too lazy to figure out why though.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slightly skewed View Post
Did you do a fresh install of vista when you built your new rig? I just installed vista 64 on my game rig (sleep works fine) and vista 32 on my DELL and sleep doesn't even light up as an option right now. I'm too lazy to figure out why though.
Are you running dual monitors? Like I said, It work fine with one monitor but freaks out when I have both plugged in.

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrharvey
View Post

Are you running dual monitors? Like I said, It work fine with one monitor but freaks out when I have both plugged in.

No. One monitor per rig.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow, after about a month of pulling my hair out I discovered that Hibernate works just fine. Stupid sleep mode is the one that sucks so bad. For some reason it works great and it does exactly what I want it to. So it takes alot longer to resume from wakeup who cares. And to think how pissed off I was not to long ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys...new here, I just wanted to see if I can help :

I had more or less the same issue and I thought it was chipset realted like you say here.
I had it with vista and now I had it with windows 7.
It was not the chipset.
It was the display.
Please check that you do not have the default windows pnp driver.
(I was too lazy to install it at first but then I took the computer back to service and they told me that the pc was working OK there...That's when I got the idea to check for the display drivers)

Hope it helps, there are plenty that have this issue and it is annoying to know that your pc does not work the way it should...even if you do not use sleep mode

1 - 17 of 17 Posts