Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a moniter for a maximum of £230 ($410).

I would like an LCD, they are fantastic!

People are saying at least 8ms in other threads.

17" does a maximum = 1280x1024
19" does a maximum = 1280x1024

Above, I have found out these are the maximum resolutions those sizes will do, and they are the same.So does the slightly bigger screen make much of a difference?
People's opinions?

Or could I get a fairly decent 21" for $410? (Seems impossible at the moment)

Or should I go less well made 19", or very well made 17"?

How do contrast ratios work? is 700:1 better than 400:1? or the other way around?

Will DVI make much of a difference compared to VGA? Is it more expensive?
Whats DVI-I and DVI-D?

What is pixel pitch?

Everything is confusing

Please help!

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lozza

Im looking for a moniter for a maximum of £230 ($410).

I would like an LCD, they are fantastic!

People are saying at least 8ms in other threads.

17" does a maximum = 1280x1024
19" does a maximum = 1280x1024

Above, I have found out these are the maximum resolutions those sizes will do, and they are the same.So does the slightly bigger screen make much of a difference?
People's opinions?

Or could I get a fairly decent 21" for $410? (Seems impossible at the moment)

Or should I go less well made 19", or very well made 17"?

How do contrast ratios work? is 700:1 better than 400:1? or the other way around?

Will DVI make much of a difference compared to VGA? Is it more expensive?
Whats DVI-I and DVI-D?

What is pixel pitch?

Everything is confusing

Please help!

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/contrast_ratio.html
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_info.html
http://www.necdisplay.com/support/cs...de/index03.htm

I know you can't order from newegg, but here is a good monitor that you can hopefully find in the UK at another retailer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001069

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
I'm buying a new monitor tomorrow, a ViewSonic VX724 for £223

17", 1280x1024, 3ms Grey-Grey response, 500:1 contrast and 300cd/m² brightness with analogue and digital input. Supposedly the best LCD out there according to CustomPC

Scan have a large range of LCD/TFT monitors, there are quite a few nice ones in there. You could get an 'OK' 19" I think, but you'd struggle for a decent one bigger than that.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well muffin, I trusted with you with the RAM, and that is performing amazingly by the way

So I may just have to go with that 17"... but 19" is a whole more 2 inches!!!

Oh and thanks chim3ra for the explanations, I couldn'y find any.

Any one else's opinions on 17" / 19" moniters?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Sorry if I am redundant, but:

Higher contrast and higher brightness is good. DVI is worth the extra expense (if any). If a 17" and 19" have the same resolution capabilities, check the dot pitch. The smaller the dot pitch, the better the picture quality (in general). And of course, the response time. Under 16 ms grey to grey (or white to black, sometimes they report both) is good, 8 and under is best.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex100

go with the Viewsonic, those things are really nice, 17" is plenty big don't worr about the extra 2 inches..

Thats what she said...

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

Sorry if I am redundant, but:

Higher contrast and higher brightness is good. DVI is worth the extra expense (if any). If a 17" and 19" have the same resolution capabilities, check the dot pitch. The smaller the dot pitch, the better the picture quality (in general). And of course, the response time. Under 16 ms grey to grey (or white to black, sometimes they report both) is good, 8 and under is best.

The pixel pitch on the ViewSonic VX724 is 0.264mm.

There is a nice looking Hyundai - the Q70U- for £210. Its almost the same as the VX724, but has 700:1 contrast ratio and a USB hub.

Quote:

Under 16 ms grey to grey

:***: You spelt it right....

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just worried about future games needing higher resolutions or whatever, or if I upgrade my graphics card and want to play games on super high res. But I suppose a viewsonic vx724 17" will do

Thanks for the info everyone! That viewsonic better be good

Edit: i have found a few moniters that have the same sort of specs, but the fact they are cheaper must mean something right?

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
ViewSonic have a good reputation for producing quality monitors. You get what you pay for

I love my ViewSonic CRT, I just want something that dosen't take up half my desk.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

:***: You spelt it right....

Is that a bad thing? Or is it us yanks always spell it gray?

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

Is that a bad thing? Or is it us yanks always spell it gray?

Not a bad thing, just I nearly fell off my chair at the shock

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
The viewsonic has a slightly better image quality, but for that much more, maybe you should just go with the samsung...
Mufin... Its 270 compared to 180 after VAC....

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wasn't saying I was going to get those, I just wondered why are viewsonic's hugely overpriced?

Plus the fact I could get that 19" samsung without spending £50 more for a viewsonic 17" one.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lozza

I wasn't saying I was going to get those, I just wondered why are viewsonic's hugely overpriced?

Why does a PC Power and Cooling PSU cost almost double what a similar (specification wise) PSU by a manufacturer such as Antec? Why do Lian Li cases cost so much? Get my point?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I understand! I feel rather foolish now

1 last question to annoy you all, if I did buy that viewsonic vx724, would it come with a DVI-D cable? Or would I have to buy one...

Oh and I've been reading that there are different types of DVI connectors, I know that the vx724 supports DVI-D, but will my graphics card support it (6600GT)? It just says "DVI", and there are 2 sockets by the way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts