Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if 40" TV on desk is good idea,
also u think 120Hz would actually work when it comes to gaming?

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I had my system hooked up to my 46" 120hz lcd tv via hdmi on my 4830s and it was amazing. It is wall mounted, so I cannot speak to how a 40" would look on a desk. I will say you will want to be back away from a screen that size. If you are too close to a big screen it can make you feel sick in some games. It did me anyway...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Depends how close you are to the screen. I think in the end it boils down to personal preference... I myself would not put a 40' in front of me, I'd mount it on the wall a few feet away from my face. But I do know some people who put a 60'+ on their walls and play, truthfully I don't know how they can use the computer without breaking their neck every time a new window pops up.

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by nckid4u
View Post

I had my system hooked up to my 46" 120hz lcd tv via hdmi on my 4830s and it was amazing. It is wall mounted, so I cannot speak to how a 40" would look on a desk. I will say you will want to be back away from a screen that size. If you are too close to a big screen it can make you feel sick in some games. It did me anyway...

So you actually can display 120 FPS in actual games?
That would give u huge advantage in FPS's ...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not really an advantage. Human eye can't really notice anything over 30 fps... So even regular screens with 60hz refresh rates, meaning 60 fps shouldn't even be noticeable... That's why I never really hung on the idea of 120hz monitors. It'll be cool for 3D gaming(NVIDIA's system with the glasses), but that aside I don't see the brighter side. Maybe have an easier time showing blazing fast things.

Read this: It's interesting too.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you talking about? 60 fps does provide advantage vs 30 fps in PC GAMES, it's a well documented fact.

And also I can easily tell the difference between 120 Hz and 60 Hz when I enable 120 Hz Automotion on our big screen TV, so I think if the TV can do same thing only for PC, then you would have advantage, the only question is how well will it work with the PC.

actually your own article said you should get 500 fps for realistic effect.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I run a 46" LCD 120hz for my monitor, works great. (It sits on a desk)

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pouleterie
View Post

Not really an advantage. Human eye can't really notice anything over 30 fps... So even regular screens with 60hz refresh rates, meaning 60 fps shouldn't even be noticeable... That's why I never really hung on the idea of 120hz monitors. It'll be cool for 3D gaming(NVIDIA's system with the glasses), but that aside I don't see the brighter side. Maybe have an easier time showing blazing fast things.

this. sooooo much this that it's silly.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Quote:

View Post

It is true that the human eye can only see 30 fps, but our eye is not 100% synchronized too the screen, this is why we need more then 30 fps for it to be smooth.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You have some serious vision problems if you are unable to distinguish between 30 and 60 fps. The difference is day and night for me.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by voice View Post
Interesting how no one has yet brought up the human eye uses light to see and not frames....

well, we aren't exactly going into a debate about overclocking your rods or cones either...

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by voice View Post
Interesting how no one has yet brought up the human eye uses light to see and not frames....

I havent brought it up, because then this would have been like my 4th time doing it in a thread in the past month... So many people do not know that human eye does not work in frames...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts