Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
If indeed those are true scores for the 7950X and 13900K then next gen should be very close. Despite what it says, the 13900K and 7950X are both probably boosting to around low to mid 5ghz range since both companies claim they will.

·
Enthusiast
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If indeed those are true scores for the 7950X and 13900K then next gen should be very close. Despite what it says, the 13900K and 7950X are both probably boosting to around low to mid 5ghz range since both companies claim they will.
"Close" only as long as 1) performance per watt does not matter and 2) AVX512 does not matter.
Because otherwise I guarantee you AMD is the better choice.

Edit: Also, performance per core of the 7950X is much better because it matches 24c performance with "just" 16c.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,754 Posts
"Close" only as long as 1) performance per watt does not matter and 2) AVX512 does not matter.

Edit: Also, performance per core of the 7950X is much better because it matches 24c performance with "just" 16c.
I think longevity of the platform plays a bigger part. Just my opinion.

·
Still kinda lost
3,798 Posts
Nope not really, as we don't know how the cores are configured nor the boosting algo.

• Rep+
Reactions: Martin778

·
Registered
793 Posts
They said the king of gaming goes to Intel but it's going to be short lived when AMD releases some 3D V-Cache variants. Intel 4-5% more frames, but minimum frame rates have gone up by 11% to 28% depending on a resolution, much larger cache. Overclock these one's near 6Ghz/5.5 all core. I noticed my board already had a bios update for the new gen. They should've made the cheaper 13600k 8p/4e for better future proof. The next gen intel after this one is going to have a much larger cache. I feel a little bad for all of those people that have spent up on a 12900(K/S) 2 in one toilet or room heater, to be torn down in year..

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Perhaps, I guess it depends on what cores CineBench was using. I had assumed it only used the performance cores and thus it was 16 vs 16. However, if perf. and eff. cores were used then yes AMD has a good per core performance lead.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts

13th Gen wins by default for DDR4 users though. Which is an extremely compelling argument for both Intel and AMD users as not everyone will want to upgrade to DDR5.

Tons of AMD users are budget oriented, so they'll have a hard time justifying ditching their existing RAM.

It'll be a tough decision for sure. I'm confident some people might go back to Team Blue just for that reason alone. Other reasons being pricing and availability.

·
Still kinda lost
3,798 Posts
38000/24 is 1583 per core.
38000/16 is 2375 per core.
The 7950X is more efficient. It ain't rocket science.
You know that there are E cores and P cores right? and you understand that under different loads the P cores and E cores behave drastically different?

• Rep+
Reactions: fray_bentos

·
Expert pin bender
3,021 Posts
They said the king of gaming goes to Intel but it's going to be short lived when AMD releases some 3D V-Cache variants. Intel 4-5% more frames, but minimum frame rates have gone up by 11% to 28% depending on a resolution, much larger cache. Overclock these one's near 6Ghz/5.5 all core. I noticed my board already had a bios update for the new gen. They should've made the cheaper 13600k 8p/4e for better future proof. The next gen intel after this one is going to have a much larger cache. I feel a little bad for all of those people that have spent up on a 12900(K/S) 2 in one toilet or room heater, to be torn down in year..
Most people buying 12900k/s probably will be happy to turn around and buy a 13900k or whatever is top end.

Probably not worried about budget. It's pretty much like cellphones nowadays what's new and trendy every year or less. Many have been conditioned to constantly shell out very quickly without care.

CPU-Z scores with an overclocked 13700K and Hyperthreading disabled:
View attachment 2568103
That looks like a suicide or extremely unlikely reachable speeds for even enthusiast. Not 24/7 by any means.

·
Registered
793 Posts
^I suppose so, the prices are close enough to a 13700k, I just hope they don't throttle on stock even on water or the only thing it's got going for it is a little bit more cache for gaming.

I don't think they have reported what the frequency of the e cores are yet. I hope its a jump and the ring can be increased. Power efficiency differences between the two doesn't amount for much after you add in the GPU.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sorry I meant power efficiency between Intel and AMD does add up to much.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I think longevity of the platform plays a bigger part. Just my opinion.
If AMD does with AM5 what they did with AM4, then longevity isn't an issue there. Have they indicated that AM5 is a short-lived socket?

But I've got a ton of DDR4, and no pressing desire to switch. That said, I won't worry about it until I need to. :)

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I think more of us are holding off updating. I know i will be fine with an 12900k to be honest. Holding off till ideally Lunarlake but see how Meteorlake is. Same with GPU’s, pretty sure skipping this gen and see how next gen is like.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts