Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a day or two ago I got my rig running. It's been under construction for a while now. It wasn't completely assembled, but it was running.

Here is a pic of most of the hardware placement. It was taken a few days ago and I hadn't routed the tubing yet.

As you can see, I'm using compression fittings just about everywhere. These are 7/16" BP fittings and I'm going to be using Primochill 7/16" tubing. The only place that has standard barbs is on the swiftech mcr220 thats in the front of the case.

Just to list the details-

Iandh res, Dual D5 EK top, Swiftech MCR220, Feser 480, P6T7 Block, Swiftech XT.

Now to the story. I typically let my computer run 24/7. Last night I decided to turn it off. Today, within 5 minutes of turning my computer on, one of the hoses on the swiftech rad that was using standard barbs, came off.

I've ran 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs for close to two years and this has never happened. The difference is that I have always used masterkleer. The one time that I buy more expensive tubing, this happens. Hopefully nothing is dead, but fortunately, it happened when I was right next to thec computer.

Here is a pic for reference. The yellow circle is to show where the hose came off. After it came off, water started pouring out the front of the case and it also got on my hdd, including my ssd, and some even landed on the top of my psu.
LL

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
oO hope everything is ok, cause that is just not fun. How did the tubing come off? compression fittings should hold on tight shouldn't they?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhelanJKell View Post
oO hope everything is ok, cause that is just not fun. How did the tubing come off? compression fittings should hold on tight shouldn't they?
the tubing came off on one of the barbs he was using, not compression.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwesley View Post
And what was the lesson?

Wes
If it were me, I'd have probably said "stick with what works".

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Yes it happens and yes it sucks. A lot of drying and putting a fan blowing inside the case will help. Or me i just go to the garage and get the big compressor and crank it up and blow through each part and let it set overnight.

Hope everything turns out fine. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
don't think he clamped or zip tied the barbs.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lesson is don't trust primochill tubing with nothing to hold it in place. I just had the 7/16" tubing on the 1/2 barb with nothing holding it on. I've done this in the past, but with mastekleer tubing. I should have known better. The masterkleer needs to be heated in nearly boiling water so that it slides on the barb. The primochill went on rather easy.

I immediately turned the computer off and then took everything apart to dry off. It was still running when I turned it off with no immediate signs of damage. I'll find out soon enough if everything still works properly.

·
Village Idiot
2,396 Posts
Were you using the factory plastic Swiftech barbs? I'm absolutely amazed that 7/16" tubing popped off if that's the case. Even 1/2" tubing grips those things like mad with clamps.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
Compression fittings aren't just for looks
. I wouldn't trust a barb by itself, at least zip tie it on

I actually thought about zip ties for a second. Then I must have got distracted and forgot about it. I almost forgot to tighten some of the compression fittings as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pewpewlazer View Post
Were you using the factory plastic Swiftech barbs? I'm absolutely amazed that 7/16" tubing popped off if that's the case. Even 1/2" tubing grips those things like mad with clamps.
They were metal 1/2 barbs. I still think they are some cheap swiftech barbs. I have a bunch of bitspower and danger den fat boys, but I used them on another computer. I also don't like how the compression fittings fit on swiftech rads. I would have had to double up on the o-rings for it to make a proper seal. I guess that I'm just used to 7/16" tubing fitting on 1/2" barbs with no problems. I have some of those plastic herbie clamp things somewhere. I think some came with something that i've bought, but I've never used them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts