Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used these LED corner-mounts for case lighting? Something like these aluminum channels:

I'd used these for under-counter lighting before. I thought of getting a couple meters of this stuff, and mounting them just inside the case panels. You could mount them with double-sided tape and have the light directed back into the case. And the "lens" should diffuse some of the spotlight effect of an LED strip. I just haven't seen anyone else do it before and I was hoping someone had so I could get an idea what it might look like.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'd imagine it should work just fine provided you can keep them and the LED strips out of direct sight. I did essentially the same thing with a metal U Tubing and just hammered one side over to make it 45 degrees like that and it worked just fine.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalo View Post

Has anyone used these LED corner-mounts for case lighting? Something like these aluminum channels:

I'd used these for under-counter lighting before. I thought of getting a couple meters of this stuff, and mounting them just inside the case panels. You could mount them with double-sided tape and have the light directed back into the case. And the "lens" should diffuse some of the spotlight effect of an LED strip. I just haven't seen anyone else do it before and I was hoping someone had so I could get an idea what it might look like.
Where did you find those extrusions?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a bunch on Amazon, and almost all of the "LED" specific webpage sell them. Just search for "LED corner channel". I've seen the price vary from $15-40 per meter though, depending on if you want bare aluminum or anodized and what type of lens.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalo View Post

There's a bunch on Amazon, and almost all of the "LED" specific webpage sell them. Just search for "LED corner channel". I've seen the price vary from $15-40 per meter though, depending on if you want bare aluminum or anodized and what type of lens.
Thank you very much!

·
13,090 Posts
You could just get some sheet metal, cut it in to 3/4" - 1" strips and whatever length you need, then fold it at around 1/4" - 3/8" depending on the width of your LED strip. This way you can set it to any angle you want, then just use some 3M heavy duty double-sided tape to secure it in place.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, something simple like that would get the 45" mounting. But it wouldn't have the lens to diffuse the LEDs..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had a play with this although used a simple U profile and several different diffusers.

In all honesty it was a waste of time - either the diffuser diffused the light too much and you couldn't see it or it wasn't enough and it made practically no difference.

Sitting it at 45° may have better effect
smile.gif

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, that's good to know. I'd rather not waste a bunch of time and money for that little of an effect. I can make up a 45deg mounting solution myself pretty easily. The lens was the part that would be hard to do and make it look decent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts