Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diamond support sent me a bios to flash to my video cards since I'm having issues, and I started flashing one about ten minutes ago. I'm doing them one at a time. I've only gotten to doing the first one, and it's the progress bar is going across all the way, resetting and going all the way. It's been doing this for a good ten minutes. Should I just wait or does it take this long? I have a gut feeling that the flash isn't working but need input.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Looks like it's not working indeed. What are you using to flash?

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
For starters, you can backup your original bios from GPU-Z. Just click on the icon to the right of the, "Bios Version" box and select save file.

Here is how to DOS flash. I simplified it for you:

Directions on how to make a bootable USB with the bios and flash utility:

*Creating a Bootabe USB*

Quote:
1. Make a USB bootable drive using this creator:
USB Boot drive (HPUSBFW)

2. Then download the boot files and extract them to a folder of your choice

3. Run the HPUSBFW program.

Select the correct USB device from the drop-down menu, set file system to FAT32 and check Create a DOS startup disk.

4. Then browse for the extracted boot files (now in the folder of your choice) and press start to begin formating it.

*For ATI bios*

Quote:
1. Download ATI Flash tool (Dos) on the USB drive.

2. Get the bios you want to flash (rename it newbios.rom).

3. Reboot and select the USB to boot from.

4. From there use the appropriate command to flash:

ATI Flash commands...
atiflash -s backup.rom (Backup Original Bios)
atiflash -p -f 0 newbios.rom (Forced Bios Flashing)

for the second card in crossfire plugged into the 2nd PCI-E slot use the following:
atiflash -p -f 1 newbios.rom

*References*

Quote:
mvktech.net For video card bios

XtremeSystems.org For ASUS bios

·
Banned
2,135 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by microman View Post
ive flashed so many cards i cant even count and ive never EVER not flashed in windows.
It just reduces risk like 200%. At least according to my luck.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slngsht View Post
Thanks for the tutorial ericeod, I tried the ATIFlash utility on a bootable usb drive just like you have there, but I get a notice that it can't be run from within DOS. is there another version I should try?
You can try an older version:

http://www.mvktech.net/component/opt...a5e803a3e1c30/

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, I still get the same "this program cannot be run in DOS mode" though. I even made a bootable floppy in vista and tried that just to make sure that it wasn't that version of the bootable OS. I didn't know this, but Vista puts WindowsME on a floppy to boot off of. LOL!
I cat think of why it isnt working. I've personally DOS flashed my Visiontek 3870s with this methos in DOS.

What command are you typing at the c: prompt?

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

took a pic of what it's doing just to show you.
Psycho666 just used the same method to flash his 4870x2. Try PMing him to see what he did differently.

*solved* Bad Ati Flash

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho666 View Post
Eric: if you were a girl i would kiss you!
it works flawless again

thanx a lot man!

ow btw; for crossfireX the 0 from atiflash -p -f 0 bios.rom should be a 1 if you need the second card/core...with 0 it wouldn`t work

See if these commands work at all (taken from RBEditor):

Quote:
So using DOS and ATIFlash is recommended for many reasons.
Before booting from the DOS device, write down the BIOS checksum (or all BIOSes' checksums, if you have more than one card) on a piece of paper. If RBE reports that the two checksums are not the same (see section 3.2), write down both.

Then follow the steps in section 2 to boot to DOS. Once you are at the prompt, enter "ATIFlash -i" , without the quotation marks, respectively. You will get a list of adapters. For all adapters, enter "ATIFlash -cb 0", "ATIFlash -cb 1" for each card you have, one after the other. This command will show you the BIOS checksum(s) of the BIOS(es) that is/are actually on the card(s). Compare it/them to the ones on your paper. If you forgot to write the checksums down, enter "ATIFlash -cf BIOS0.ROM", "ATIFlash -cf BIOS1.ROM" for all BIOS image files. This will show you at least one of the two described checksums for each file (see section 3.2).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts