Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lenovo T520 that my university gave me (specs in sig); and I'm wondering how to control the fan on it because even under low load the cpu and gpu get to high temps. For example I had 2 tabs in firefox open, powerpoint, and defraggler running, for a total of around 20-30% cpu load and 0% gpu load, yet the cpu was averaging 70C and gpu 65C; and under idle i get about 45-50C on cpu and 50-55C on gpu. I felt down the side of the laptop where the fan output is and I could feel warmth coming out, but little to no actual push of air from the fan, so I don`t know if the fan is just running very slow or not running at all. I have tried going into the Lenovo Power manager and it says that active cooling is enabled, I also went into SpeedFan and according to it I don't have any fans because it doesn't list any under the fans tab in configuration. Does anyone know how I can control the fan to make it speed up under higher temperature or to be able to manually control it, or is there something wrong with the fan?

P.S. I hope I put this in the correct section, if not someone feel free to move it.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do to control the fan speed on the CPU for Lenovo. I looked for awhile for my W610 and my T61 laptops, and couldn't find any utilities out there that allowed me to control fan speed. I think you just gotta hope it's blowing at 100%, and do everything you can to enhance air flow. Some people call them gimmicky, but I bought a laptop cooler to put underneath my laptops, and it did reduce the temps on my CPU anywhere from 5-10C, but you might not get such good results. I would take it to your university tech desk and tell them you're getting really hot temperatures and you're worried the fan isn't 100% operational, and see if they give you a new laptop that might have better cooling. But to answer your original question, I don't know of any software that lets you control fan speed on Thinkpads (or laptops) other than whatever power management tool Lenovo has on their laptop.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3machi7ke View Post

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do to control the fan speed on the CPU for Lenovo. I looked for awhile for my W610 and my T61 laptops, and couldn't find any utilities out there that allowed me to control fan speed. I think you just gotta hope it's blowing at 100%, and do everything you can to enhance air flow. Some people call them gimmicky, but I bought a laptop cooler to put underneath my laptops, and it did reduce the temps on my CPU anywhere from 5-10C, but you might not get such good results. I would take it to your university tech desk and tell them you're getting really hot temperatures and you're worried the fan isn't 100% operational, and see if they give you a new laptop that might have better cooling. But to answer your original question, I don't know of any software that lets you control fan speed on Thinkpads (or laptops) other than whatever power management tool Lenovo has on their laptop.
I was afraid of this. not being able to control the fan with software, after searching around google as well, I kinda came to the same conclusion.

What I'm wondering now is maybe I have disabled some service from Lenovo that would adjust the fan rpm because the laptop came loaded with tons of Lenovo bloatware which a lot I disabled, I might try re-enabling everything rebooting and seeing if the fan works. I'm thinking this might be the case because I remember when I first got the laptop the fan used to speed up when the cpu heated up but now it doesn't seem too, so either the fan broke or something got disabled that controls it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I tried re-enabling all services and startup programs, booted into windows (took forever with all the extra stuff running), then started up IBT and Core Temp and ran IBT for a few minutes to let it heat up, the cpu got to a max of 85C!.....but I could feel a better airflow coming from the fan exhaust. I couldn't hear the fan but then again I'm currently sitting in a cafeteria filled with talkative people, but from the looks of things it's working a little better. Now I just need to figure out exactly what service controls the fan so not to disable it again.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jj333 33 View Post

Ok so I tried re-enabling all services and startup programs, booted into windows (took forever with all the extra stuff running), then started up IBT and Core Temp and ran IBT for a few minutes to let it heat up, the cpu got to a max of 85C!.....but I could feel a better airflow coming from the fan exhaust. I couldn't hear the fan but then again I'm currently sitting in a cafeteria filled with talkative people, but from the looks of things it's working a little better. Now I just need to figure out exactly what service controls the fan so not to disable it again.
It's something to do with power manager IIRC. Then again, I use(d) mine as workstations so I never turned them off, so I never had to disable any of the services. I found most of them to be fairly useful at any rate, but I think it's something to do with its power manager suite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts