Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm trying to find a solution to this problem.

My laptop is running games and applications at temperatures that are too high and I think it's also limiting it's potential, since it rarely goes beyond 80% GPU, and it looks like it's capped at 100 ºC so it won't use more GPU unless the temperature is reduced somehow.

The CPU is running at the same temperature when working, compiling stuff, image processing, many programs and so on, which is also worrying, around 100 ºC

The laptop has been used for 3 years and it doesn't have any warranty left, so I'm on my own.

I've been considering the possibility of opening the laptop and trying to apply thermal paste to the GPU and CPU but it looks like a really complicated task, this laptop, the y580, is a very compact laptop and it has dozens of screws and I don't really like to pull so much stuff out of it, I would have to remove the keyboard, the touchpad etc

Is there anything I can do? If I were to open it, I don't even know if it's possible to apply thermal paste to the GPU?

I came up to this video that shows how it's done:

And that scared me even further, it really looks like the work for a professional and I cannot afford one, also, will it really make any difference?

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
If your afraid to do it yourself, I would take it to a Lenovo authorized repair center and ask them to replace the paste for your. Might cost a bit of money, but it's a simple solution.

Other thing is to just get the tools and try yourself.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,294 Posts
Most laptops are like that video. Toshiba was pretty easy, but I know HP and Lenovo aren't super user friendly.

And yes, it's very possible to reapply thermal paste to the heatsinks and YES it makes a phenomenal difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts